More taser nonsense... and she was 8 months pregnant
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:35:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  More taser nonsense... and she was 8 months pregnant
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More taser nonsense... and she was 8 months pregnant  (Read 1671 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2005, 11:46:13 AM »

Pregnant woman 'Tasered' by police is convicted
By HECTOR CASTRO
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

She was rushing her son to school. She was eight months pregnant. And she was about to get a speeding ticket she didn't think she deserved.

So when a Seattle police officer presented the ticket to Malaika Brooks, she refused to sign it. In the ensuing confrontation, she suffered burns from a police Taser, an electric stun device that delivers 50,000 volts.

"Probably the worst thing that ever happened to me," Brooks said, in describing that morning during her criminal trial last week on charges of refusing to obey an officer and resisting arrest.

She was found guilty of the first charge because she never signed the ticket, but the Seattle Municipal Court jury could not decide whether she resisted arrest, the reason the Taser was applied.

To her attorneys and critics of police use of Tasers, Brooks' case is an example of police overreaction.

"It's pretty extraordinary that they should have used a Taser in this case," said Lisa Daugaard, a public defender familiar with the case.

Law enforcement officers have said they see Tasers as a tool that can benefit the public by reducing injuries to police and the citizens they arrest.

Seattle police officials declined to comment on this case, citing concerns that Brooks might file a civil lawsuit.

But King County sheriff's Sgt. Donald Davis, who works on the county's Taser policy, said the use of force is a balancing act for law enforcement.

"It just doesn't look good to the public," he said.

Brooks' run-in with police Nov. 23 came six months before Seattle adopted a new policy on Taser use that guides officers on how to deal with pregnant women, the very young, the very old and the infirm. When used on such subjects, the policy states, "the need to stop the behavior should clearly justify the potential for additional risks."

"Obviously, (law enforcement agencies) don't want to use a Taser on young children, pregnant woman or elderly people," Davis said. "But if in your policy you deliberately exclude a segment of the population, then you have potentially closed off a tool that could have ended a confrontation."

Brooks was stopped in the 8300 block of Beacon Avenue South, just outside the African American Academy, while dropping her son off for school.

In a two-day trial that ended Friday, the officer involved, Officer Juan Ornelas, testified he clocked Brooks' Dodge Intrepid doing 32 mph in a 20-mph school zone.

He motioned her over and tried to write her a ticket, but she wouldn't sign it, even when he explained that signing it didn't mean she was admitting guilt.

Brooks, in her testimony, said she believed she could accept a ticket without signing for it, which she had done once before.

"I said, 'Well, I'll take the ticket, but I won't sign it,' " Brooks testified.

Officer Donald Jones joined Ornelas in trying to persuade Brooks to sign the ticket. They then called on their supervisor, Sgt. Steve Daman.

He authorized them to arrest her when she continued to refuse.

The officers testified they struggled to get Brooks out of her car but could not because she kept a grip on her steering wheel.

And that's when Jones brought out the Taser.

Brooks testified she didn't even know what it was when Jones showed it to her and pulled the trigger, allowing her to hear the crackle of 50,000 volts of electricity.

The officers testified that was meant as a final warning, as a way to demonstrate the device was painful and that Brooks should comply with their orders.

When she still did not exit her car, Jones applied the Taser.

In his testimony, the Taser officer said he pressed the prongs of the muzzle against Brooks' thigh to no effect. So he applied it twice to her exposed neck.

Afterward, he and the others testified, Ornelas pushed Brooks out of the car while Jones pulled.

She was taken to the ground, handcuffed and placed in a patrol car, the officers testified.

She told jurors the officer also used the device on her arm, and showed them a dark, brown burn to her thigh, a large, red welt on her arm and a lump on her neck, all marks she said came from the Taser application.

At the South Precinct, Seattle fire medics examined Brooks, confirmed she was pregnant and recommended she be evaluated at Harborview Medical Center.

Brooks said she was worried about the effect the trauma and the Taser might have on her baby, but she delivered a healthy girl Jan. 31.

Still, she said, she remains shocked that a simple traffic stop could result in her arrest.

"As police officers, they could have hurt me seriously. They could have hurt my unborn fetus," she said.

"All because of a traffic ticket. Is this what it's come down to?"

Davis said Tasers remain a valuable tool, and that situations like Brooks' are avoidable.

"I know the Taser is controversial in all these situations where it seems so egregious," he said. "Why use a Taser in a simple traffic stop? Well, the citizen has made it more of a problem. It's no longer a traffic stop. This is now a confrontation."
P-I reporter Hector Castro can be reached at 206-903-5396 or hectorcastro@seattlepi.com
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 12:36:42 PM »

If she started the confrontation, the cop is scott free and justified.  If she didn't, the cop must face criminal charges of battery.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 01:42:28 PM »

If she started the confrontation, the cop is scott free and justified.  If she didn't, the cop must face criminal charges of battery.

What does 'started the confrontation' mean?  Cops often start beating and tasering people just for making sudden moves or yelling. 

There are few things more frightening than being pulled over by the gun-happy cops these days, and I say that being of the right race, class, and demeanor.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 02:00:56 PM »

What does 'started the confrontation' mean?  Cops often start beating and tasering people just for making sudden moves or yelling. 

There are few things more frightening than being pulled over by the gun-happy cops these days, and I say that being of the right race, class, and demeanor.
I don't know about that.  I for one wouldn't feel one bit of fear if I'm pulled over in the United States.

It is not a hard concept: don't make sudden moves, don't yell, don't fight, don't slap him, and don't call him names.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 02:58:54 PM »

I think this is unreasonable.  He should get to attack citizens just for being impolite? 
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 03:02:02 PM »

I think this is unreasonable.  He should get to attack citizens just for being impolite? 

Yes. Otherwise everyone will be impolite.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 03:05:12 PM »

Yes. Otherwise everyone will be impolite.

Big deal.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 03:37:06 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2005, 03:55:27 PM by WalterMitty »

america is a police state.

law enforcement agencies and officers have way too much power.

period.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 03:44:41 PM »

Probably should arrest her for endangering her child by being foolish. She deserved it.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 03:48:53 PM »

Probably should arrest her for endangering her child by being foolish. She deserved it.

i admire her act of civil disobediance.  if someone refuses to sign a speeding ticket, that shouldnt merit an electrical shock.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 03:50:27 PM »

It merits having their license revoked for three years though
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 03:51:24 PM »

It merits having their license revoked for three years though

So people are just expected to wave their presumption of inocence?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 05:06:43 PM »

america is a police state.

law enforcement agencies and officers have way too much power.

Excellent point WalterMitty, I could not agree more!

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 06:02:45 PM »

The people here saying the police officer was justified by her being rude are being absurd. I do not know the police's laws very well, but I can imagine they are limited to using force and Tasers only if the person is physically resisting arrest, not physically resisting making a signature.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies