Nature May Have A Profound Effect On Our Religiosity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:51:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Nature May Have A Profound Effect On Our Religiosity
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nature May Have A Profound Effect On Our Religiosity  (Read 1540 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2015, 06:41:05 AM »

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2015/08/20/432911010/nature-may-have-a-profound-effect-on-our-religiosity.

"In U.S. counties with warm winters, temperate summers and beautiful natural resources — like beaches, lakes, hills or mountains — people's rates of affiliation with religious organizations are lower than in other places, according to a new study.

The study's authors, Todd W. Ferguson and Jeffrey A. Tamburello of Baylor University, write in the journal Sociology of Religion: "Natural amenities can be considered as a resource for spirituality that has the power to satisfy some people's need for inspiration, awe and divine connection ... When a person hikes in a forest to connect with the sacred, she or he may not feel the need to affiliate with a religious organization because her or his spiritual demands are met."

---

I can relate to this actually, anecdotally. I'm lucky to live in a place where wilderness is 20 minutes away and it's just astounding how much it inspires.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 10:26:16 AM »

Of course. In so many religions, specific geograhical sites have inspired religion and religiosity for centuries. Natural beauty can be extremely inspiring and it can certainly make me feel closer to G-d.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 09:42:53 AM »

Of course. In so many religions, specific geograhical sites have inspired religion and religiosity for centuries. Natural beauty can be extremely inspiring and it can certainly make me feel closer to G-d.

This seems to be the opposite of what the study indicates.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 12:44:22 PM »

Oh, I see. I admit I had only read the title of this thread. Interesting.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 02:10:02 PM »

This probably explains part of the general lack of religion in the Pacific Northwest, among other things.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 02:47:51 PM »

It could also mean people get their religious fulfillment from nature better than going to a church every week.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 02:51:53 PM »

It could also mean people get their religious fulfillment from nature better than going to a church every week.

My reading was that they were trying to draw a pretty distinct line between religion and spirituality.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 01:29:17 PM »

For once, I agree with DavidB.

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 10:43:41 PM »

Romans 1:25 strikes again.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 12:08:15 AM »

Are you all just reading what you want to read?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 05:53:37 PM »

I suspect that this can be related to other factors.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 09:59:20 AM »

Leaving aside the obvious correlation and causation issues here, this study also involves two things which  can't really be defined, religion and nature.

For one thing religious affiliation, belief in God, religious practice and spirituality are not even close to the same thing, and even if they were they depends so much on how the questions are asked to make it exceedingly difficult to be useful in this type of survey.

Even more importantly though "nature" doesn't mean anything and can't be defined. We find deserts and forests, rivers and lakes, mountains and fens all beautiful despite the fact they have nothing in common. The scale itself uses "warm winter, winter sun, temperate summer, low summer humidity, topographical variation and water area, each precisely defined" as the qualities, and it's easy to find counter examples for each of these categories. Easy to live in and awe inspiring are not even close to the same thing, and the Alps cold winter temperatures and the Amazons year round heat show this better than anything I can say.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 10:08:10 AM »

We find deserts and forests, rivers and lakes, mountains and fens all beautiful despite the fact they have nothing in common.

And notions of beauty have not stayed constant. Until Romanticism happened and made everyone see sense, a beautiful landscape (at least to a member of the educated classes) was a prosperous agricultural one of the sort turned into weird sub-Classical fetish by Claude Lorrain: most of the landscapes that we particularly value today were routinely dismissed as 'waste'.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 11:20:41 AM »

We find deserts and forests, rivers and lakes, mountains and fens all beautiful despite the fact they have nothing in common.

And notions of beauty have not stayed constant. Until Romanticism happened and made everyone see sense, a beautiful landscape (at least to a member of the educated classes) was a prosperous agricultural one of the sort turned into weird sub-Classical fetish by Claude Lorrain: most of the landscapes that we particularly value today were routinely dismissed as 'waste'.

How beauty is 'assembled' may not stay constant, but notions of beauty certainly in the natural world have remained constant. Flowers have always been beautiful and happen to be found in the earliest, pre Homo Sapiens graves. We have 'evolved' to find them beautiful. Whether one likes wildflowers or a poinsettia, we've always found flowers beautiful.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 05:59:24 AM »

The aesthetical absolutism of Classicism is wrong as well as the aesthetical relativism of Nihilism. Leaves the aesthetical hierarchism of Historism.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 06:05:50 AM »

Religion means to stand aside and watch our own animalic life. Thus nature cannot explain, THAT we are religious, only partly HOW we are.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies