Rasmussen: 57% of Republicans think Trump will be the nominee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:11:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rasmussen: 57% of Republicans think Trump will be the nominee
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rasmussen: 57% of Republicans think Trump will be the nominee  (Read 2973 times)
cwt

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 21, 2015, 12:54:58 PM »
« edited: August 21, 2015, 12:56:55 PM by cwt »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/trump_change
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 12:58:20 PM »

Apparently 49% of the country are idiots.

Trump will NOT be the nominee. He's 'flavor of the pre-primary season' Yes, that's a prediction. Write it down.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 01:02:53 PM »

Trump will NOT be the nominee. He's 'flavor of the pre-primary season' Yes, that's a prediction. Write it down.

First people said he wouldn't run. Next people said he wouldn't become the frontrunner. Then people said he would implode over the McCain comments and the Meghan Kelly comments. And then people said he would falter after the debate.....And Trump has proven everyone wrong time and time again. So I am no longer surprised by anything anymore at this point.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »

I think there's a distinct possibility he does hold onto his support through the primaries. It's definitely a scary thought, but the man seems untouchable. He's a brand the GOP is hungry for. He doesn't play the game that everyone else does. So how can we possibly apply the same rules?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 01:08:43 PM »

I think there's a distinct possibility he does hold onto his support through the primaries. It's definitely a scary thought, but the man seems untouchable. He's a brand the GOP is hungry for. He doesn't play the game that everyone else does. So how can we possibly apply the same rules?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 01:12:33 PM »

I can see the nomination fight coming down to Jeb Bush and Donald Trump.... scary stuff actually
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »

Will the massive loss of Trump in the general be what finally jolts the Republican Party to its senses? This may be the beginning of the end for our long nightmare. Is the moment of reckoning finally approaching at long last? Shall we be able to reclaim the Grand Old Party from the loons once their nakedness is shown to all?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 01:40:04 PM »

Will the massive loss of Trump in the general be what finally jolts the Republican Party to its senses? This may be the beginning of the end for our long nightmare. Is the moment of reckoning finally approaching at long last? Shall we be able to reclaim the Grand Old Party from the loons once their nakedness is shown to all?

It will be argued that (like McCain and Romney) he wasn't a true conservative. To finally learn their lesson they need to lose with someone like Walker or Cruz.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »

Walker certainly won't do it. As the polls show, the evangelical base is fading in strength. The grassroots wants someone like Trump. That's what needs to be defeated. If the "insurgent" candidate can be wacked down forcefully, it will hopefully shoe the folly of endorsing such candidates for good, and neuter they segment's strength.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 01:51:06 PM »

Walker certainly won't do it. As the polls show, the evangelical base is fading in strength. The grassroots wants someone like Trump. That's what needs to be defeated. If the "insurgent" candidate can be wacked down forcefully, it will hopefully shoe the folly of endorsing such candidates for good, and neuter they segment's strength.

That's why I said I think the nomination fight will come down to Trump v Bush. I hope I'm wrong of course.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 02:08:16 PM »

The headline gets the poll results wrong.

"Likely" doesn't mean certainly.

In a race with 18 candidates, 16 of whom are qualified for either the main debate of the pregame, likely is a very squishy phrase.
cwt

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 02:15:15 PM »

If Trump gets the nomination, the GOP goes the way of the Whigs.
Bureaucat
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 02:41:57 PM »

I think you're being disrespectful to the Whigs.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 02:49:12 PM »

Things could change, but it's not realistic to firmly say that he will not be the nominee. At this point, he is in a good position to be the nominee.
Jacobtm

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 05:06:28 PM »

Umm Whigs are alive and well, a name change doesn't mean they're gone. All leftist parties owe innumerable debts to the Whigs. Hell, their opposition to continued fighting in the American Revolution was key in our victory.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 05:13:33 PM »

I'd say it's really unlikely that he gets the nomination.

But then again, Trump has defied every political prediction until now, and has survived events which would had usually undermined other candidacies in the blink of an eye. For now, I'd just be cautious.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 05:20:28 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2015, 05:23:13 PM by Mehmentum »

Umm Whigs are alive and well, a name change doesn't mean they're gone. All leftist parties owe innumerable debts to the Whigs. Hell, their opposition to continued fighting in the American Revolution was key in our victory.
I think he was referring to the American Whig party.  They emerged about the time the Democrats did, but were torn apart by the issue of slavery.  The Democrats fractured too (which led to Lincoln's election), but they were able to continue on as a party (even if they had to spend like 60 years in the wilderness afterwards).

The implication is that Trump's nomination would literally tear the Republican party in half, which isn't unreasonable.  The Republicans would probably be able to recover from a Trump candidacy, however.  
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 09:43:55 PM »

They actually have a point though, IMO.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 10:04:32 PM »

If Trump gets the nomination, the GOP goes the way of the Whigs.
Trump has always maintained that his hair is real.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 10:15:57 PM »

If Trump is nominated, it would show that both parties have moved so far to the left. Trump is to the left of Hillary Clinton on health care, trade, taxes, property rights, corporate welfare and as liberal as Clinton on guns, abortion, and economic stimulus. Mr. Trump's supporters are so stupid they think they are in the GOP, they are a bunch of liberals except they hate immigrants.

I will leave the GOP if Trump is nominated and vote for the libertarians because at least I could vote for folks who believe in freedom. All of the other GOP candidates, even George Pataki, are different from the Democrats, but not Mr. Trump and on some things, he's worse.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 10:22:31 PM »

If Trump is nominated, it would show that both parties have moved so far to the left. Trump is to the left of Hillary Clinton on health care, trade, taxes, property rights, corporate welfare and as liberal as Clinton on guns, abortion, and economic stimulus. Mr. Trump's supporters are so stupid they think they are in the GOP, they are a bunch of liberals except they hate immigrants.

I will leave the GOP if Trump is nominated and vote for the libertarians because at least I could vote for folks who believe in freedom. All of the other GOP candidates, even George Pataki, are different from the Democrats, but not Mr. Trump and on some things, he's worse.

You, Mr Bush supporter, are going to vote for the libertarian nominee? LMAO
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 10:24:44 PM »

You, Mr Bush supporter, are going to vote for the libertarian nominee? LMAO
You Mr. Capitalism Supporter are a libertarian? LMAO
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 10:28:13 PM »

I may just vote Democratic if Trump is the nominee..either that or look at who the third parties nominate. I will not support someone with no political experience for the presidency (meaning I won't support Carson or Fiorina either)...I will consider someone with no political experience for lower offices only.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 10:57:11 PM »

Well, OK, I've bookmarked this post. We can discuss it next spring.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 11:08:44 PM »

I may just vote Democratic if Trump is the nominee..either that or look at who the third parties nominate. I will not support someone with no political experience for the presidency (meaning I won't support Carson or Fiorina either)...I will consider someone with no political experience for lower offices only.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies