Abortion and parental consent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:44:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion and parental consent
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Should minors need parental consent to get an abortion (in situations where you think abortion should be legal)?
No, they should be allowed to get an abortion (in some or all situations) without consent, regardless of age.

Yes, in some cases (explain).

Yes, in all cases.

No, abortion should always be illegal (except if mother's life is at risk).

Other (explain).

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: Abortion and parental consent  (Read 3481 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2015, 10:25:07 PM »

No, it should be illegal (except for the exceptions yada yada), but parental consent would be a fair compromise, at least temporarily.

Is it really? Either you conciser the life of a fetus equivalent to that of a newborn baby, which means parental consent wouldn't make it any more morally acceptable to kill it, or you don't, which mean's parental connect doesn't matter becasue it's morally acceptable anyway. How does this compromise make sense for either side?

I do consider the life of a fetus equivalent to that of a newborn baby, so you're right parental consent wouldn't make it any more morally acceptable, but I think this would lead to less abortions. I want to see more done on restricting abortion, but if I was a legislator and I had to vote on this bill I would support it because it probably would lead to less abortions, and I think less abortions is good.

I suppose that's fair enough. Still doesn't make sense from a pro-choice perspective, though.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2015, 06:43:27 AM »

No, it should be illegal (except for the exceptions yada yada), but parental consent would be a fair compromise, at least temporarily.

Is it really? Either you conciser the life of a fetus equivalent to that of a newborn baby, which means parental consent wouldn't make it any more morally acceptable to kill it, or you don't, which mean's parental connect doesn't matter becasue it's morally acceptable anyway. How does this compromise make sense for either side?

I do consider the life of a fetus equivalent to that of a newborn baby, so you're right parental consent wouldn't make it any more morally acceptable, but I think this would lead to less abortions. I want to see more done on restricting abortion, but if I was a legislator and I had to vote on this bill I would support it because it probably would lead to less abortions, and I think less abortions is good.

I suppose that's fair enough. Still doesn't make sense from a pro-choice perspective, though.

I don't really think it does either but you hear Democrats talk about wanting abortion to be safe and rare (which doesn't make sense because why does it matter whether this procedure is rare or not if they don't think a fetus is human life) so it plays into that.
Making America Great Again
TrumpDump
Rookie
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2015, 07:51:38 AM »

Abortion should be illegal most of the time. Especially for underage girls.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2015, 03:09:37 PM »

I don't really think it does either but you hear Democrats talk about wanting abortion to be safe and rare (which doesn't make sense because why does it matter whether this procedure is rare or not if they don't think a fetus is human life) so it plays into that.

There are good and bad ways of making it rare though. Increasing access to birth control is a good way of making it rare. Discriminating against a segment of the population by preventing them from getting abortions is a bad way of making it rare.

And fetuses are demonstrably human life; the question is whether or not they count as people.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2015, 05:12:11 PM »

Not taking a definitive stance on this issue, just wanted to play Devil's Advocate for a minute.

If people under the age of 18 are not capable of consenting to medical procedures in general, why would an abortion be any different?

Also, in the lack of parental consent laws, is there a risk that certain abortion service providers would refuse treatment to women under the age of 18 in order to cover themselves legally? 
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2015, 10:54:51 PM »

Not taking a definitive stance on this issue, just wanted to play Devil's Advocate for a minute.

If people under the age of 18 are not capable of consenting to medical procedures in general, why would an abortion be any different?

Also, in the lack of parental consent laws, is there a risk that certain abortion service providers would refuse treatment to women under the age of 18 in order to cover themselves legally? 

Because giving birth is basically a "medical procedure" in and of itself. A medical procedure is, at that point, unavoidable.
Blacky
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2015, 06:46:24 AM »

To my mind, it's a woman's right to become pregnant, give birth or end her pregnancy. Let women decide themselves. I have never understood our politicians who prefer to decide for others at the legislative level
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2015, 08:43:34 PM »

No, abortion should always be illegal except in the cases of danger to the mother's health, rape, and incest.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies