Walker under fire for suggesting only “handful” of Muslims are moderate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:17:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Walker under fire for suggesting only “handful” of Muslims are moderate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Walker under fire for suggesting only “handful” of Muslims are moderate  (Read 1105 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2015, 06:57:04 AM »
« edited: August 22, 2015, 07:30:39 AM by Mr. Morden »

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.

More here:

http://host.madison.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/scott-walker-handful-of-reasonable-moderate-followers-of-islam/article_7476ab23-5f92-5af9-bd68-f5f5672a7945.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 07:04:21 AM »

Walker is so damn stupid that he wouldn't even believe his own words. Literally! I don't know if the US has ever had a presidential candidate with less brains than him. I mean even Santorum (!) has more brains than him, and he's literally as stupid as a cow. The only national politician I can think of with a lower IQ than Walker is in fact Sarah Palin.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 07:12:17 AM »

Walker is so damn stupid that he wouldn't even believe his own words. Literally! I don't know if the US has ever had a presidential candidate with less brains than him. I mean even Santorum (!) has more brains than him, and he's literally as stupid as a cow. The only national politician I can think of with a lower IQ than Walker is in fact Sarah Palin.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 07:20:35 AM »

Walker has made more gaffes than Mitt Romney. And there are still almost 6 months till the start of primary voting.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 07:24:21 AM »

What's the obsession with calling them 'radical Islamic terrorists'
ViaActiva

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 07:43:15 AM »

It's like watching George W. without the compensating charisma and knack for retail politics. Even when pandering to the Right he falls flat. I seriously doubt that he's going to win Iowa.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 07:55:22 AM »

What's your beef with this? Calling them "radical Muslim" distinguishes them from regular Muslims.
ViaActiva

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 08:55:20 AM »

What's your beef with this? Calling them "radical Muslim" distinguishes them from regular Muslims.

Well it's like calling the IRA 'radical Catholic terrorists', stressing their religion easily elides into bigotry.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 09:15:06 AM »

Apparently Scott Walker has never met me before...but I digress. No one should take him seriously.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »

He is gone. Why does it matter anymore? I've gone from loving Walker to hating him anyway.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 10:12:29 AM »

In Iraq, Saddam Hussein was the 'moderate' Muslim; he was simply devoid of moral values -- which is far more dangerous than holding extreme values. The Shiites were anything but moderate in Iraq under a Ba'athist rule that created for all practices a religious Apartheid. The Shiites in Iraq have been our allies against Saddam Hussein and against ISIS. 

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 10:55:05 AM »

Well it's like calling the IRA 'radical Catholic terrorists', stressing their religion easily elides into bigotry.

The terrorists themselves are the ones who stress their religion. That's why it's worth mentioning.

If the IRA stressed Catholicism, it would be totally fair to call them radical Catholics. They don't though, they stress Irish nationalism. Calling them radical Irish terrorists would be perfectly fair and in fact, people do often call them Irish terrorists, because that's what they are.
hotdish

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 11:02:46 AM »

I would agree that Walker is stupid, but please do not insult the cows. The cows in Wisconsin did not elect him governor.

Walker has become irrelevant anyhow.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »

I would agree that Walker is stupid, but please do not insult the cows. The cows in Wisconsin did not elect him governor.

Walker has become irrelevant anyhow.

You're right. Smiley Also I'm a fan of cow's excruciatingly large tongues. Wink
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 12:04:16 PM »

This just exemplifies the double standard with Republicans and Democrats. If you caught Hillary, Sanders, or whomever from the Democratic Party saying something like this, it would be a pretty notable scandal.

Same applies for what Trump says (obviously).
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 01:27:09 PM »

Why does Walker keep acting like an idiot?
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 03:03:39 PM »

So many missteps from Walker, its actually kinda amusing. You'd think he'd be better trained than this after surviving 3 elections in 4 years.

Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 03:11:42 PM »

The whole "What Governor Walker meant when he said x..." thing must be getting old for his spokesperson.
Jacobtm

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 03:13:56 PM »

If Trump teaches you anything:

Never apologize.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 11:56:14 PM »

No, it's like calling them "radical Irish terrorists" - using your logic, stressing their nationality easily elides into bigotry.

But, the IRA is a group of radical Irish terrorists - which implies the fact that they are terrorists for Irish radicalism. ISIS is a group of radical Muslim terrorists - which implies the fact that they are terrorists for Irish radicalism.

The fact of the matter is, extremism is relative. Therefore, if a majority are "extreme", then they are mainstream, and therefore not extreme.
Abraham Reagan
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 2.96

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 12:03:41 AM »

It's to make a point that these people aren't just out there randomly attacking people. They have an ideology that is based on a radical take on the teachings of Islam. They're not just fighting against America, they're fighting against a way of life that they view as abominable to Allah, and they want to apply to tenets of Sharia to all people Muslim and non-Muslim. You have to identify the enemy and their motives before you can stop them.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »

It's to make a point that these people aren't just out there randomly attacking people. They have an ideology that is based on a radical take on the teachings of Islam. They're not just fighting against America, they're fighting against a way of life that they view as abominable to Allah, and they want to apply to tenets of Sharia to all people Muslim and non-Muslim. You have to identify the enemy and their motives before you can stop them.

No. Walkers description makes it clear in his mind the terrorists views are not radical. When he says that there are a handful of moderate Muslims are supposed to terrorist groups like Isis, he makes it clear that, in his mind, the terrorists' views represent mainstream Islam.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 01:49:55 PM »

Only a handful of Muslims in the Middle East would be considered reasonable and moderate if we consider it unreasonable and immoderate to support executing apostates and adulterers or a number of other bad things. A "handful" among 1.6 billion people is still a lot of people, however.

Moderates don't have to make up a majority of Muslims for us to refrain from tarring ALL of the Islamic world or Muslims living outside of majority-Muslim nations. The fact that there are a large number of moderates, and certainly the great majority of American Muslims are moderate, should be cause enough for us to be respectful.

ISIS represents the most radicalized Muslims, a tiny minority. Al Qaeda-style Islam represents a bigger number but still tiny. Hamas a bigger number, and the Muslim Brotherhood an even larger one. We should be comforted that the bigger a group is within the "Islamist" fold, the more reasonable it tends to be.

Moderate and reasonable are also not necessarily synonyms. I wouldn't consider MB moderate, but it's not entirely unreasonable.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 03:52:28 PM »

Republicans used to win Arab Americans, but after 9/11 they started losing them. I wonder why.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies