Does Frist have any chance of winning the GOP nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:22:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Does Frist have any chance of winning the GOP nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ...
(D) I wish

(R) Yes

(R) No

(O) Yes

(O) No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Does Frist have any chance of winning the GOP nomination?  (Read 5195 times)
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2005, 10:57:43 PM »

I will be upset if Frist gets the nomination.  He's a bad choice.  A good friend of mine is supporting him, and i'm trying to talk him out of it.  Not only is he a boring dull senator, with that whole cat thing.  He is tied to Bush.  While Bush did win reelection he's not that popular.  I have the feeling that by 2008 people may be sick of Bush, and if Frist is the nominee everything over the last 8 years with Bush could come back up as issues, although I may be wrong.  Personally I will be supporting hopefully, a governor not connected with the Bush Administration.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2005, 10:49:06 AM »

I knew there was something about the guy I found creepy, until now, I couldn't put my finger on it.  To be honest, I've always had that same feeling about DeLay.  Still can't put my finger on that one.

DeLay built his fortune as a bug exterminator.  Nothing really wrong about that, but I've always found guys with an obsession for killing insects a little creepy.  Interestingly, he's now obsessed with completely annihilating the Democratic Party.
MissCatholic

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2005, 10:51:48 AM »

I think frist is using the judicial nominees as a way to get a base. He has no charisma no personality so hes going to need theocratic nuts to get him elected. It worked for bush so why not him in 2008. Perfect foil to combat hillary.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2005, 11:34:54 AM »

He is tied to Bush.  While Bush did win reelection he's not that popular.

I couldn't possibily disagree more.  President Bush is wildly popular, at least around here.  Just about every car in GOP areas of this city have "W The President" stickers on them and there are actually more of them every day.  The only people who don't love President Bush around here are anti-war, pro-Saddam lefties or anti-immigrant bigoted right-wing nuts.  When President Bush came to Memphis, the tickets were all gone within a matter of minutes and lines were wrapped 4 or 5 times around the office buildings that house Senator Frist and Alexander's offices.   And this was all in a "blue" county!   I suppose people don't feel that way in your neck of the woods... but it should be noted that most of the polls showed that people who voted for Bush did so out of support for him and not just opposing his opponent.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2005, 11:51:56 AM »

I think thats mainly a self-fulfilling prophecy.   I think Governors have an advantage over Senators, but your prophecy will always come true if we count Senators out just because a few more Governors were elected than Senators.  Many of our Governors are embroiled in controversy, are just unpopular in their states, or come from states that really aren't advantageous when you're counting electoral votes.  Senator Frist is wildly popular in his home state, has the backing of very influential leaders and fundraisers in DC, does appear to be the Bush pick (as 9iron noted), and the base he has built on this judicial nominee stuff is icing on the cake.  Frist has an advantage in the nomination and his persona as a compassionate healer will give us a lot of credibility on the health care issue going up against Hillary.

J. J. Third Rule of Politics might end up being: "To be elected president, you must have been Vice President or a Governor." 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2005, 12:18:46 PM »

He is tied to Bush.  While Bush did win reelection he's not that popular.

I couldn't possibily disagree more.  President Bush is wildly popular, at least around here.  Just about every car in GOP areas of this city have "W The President" stickers on them and there are actually more of them every day.  The only people who don't love President Bush around here are anti-war, pro-Saddam lefties or anti-immigrant bigoted right-wing nuts.  When President Bush came to Memphis, the tickets were all gone within a matter of minutes and lines were wrapped 4 or 5 times around the office buildings that house Senator Frist and Alexander's offices.   And this was all in a "blue" county!   I suppose people don't feel that way in your neck of the woods... but it should be noted that most of the polls showed that people who voted for Bush did so out of support for him and not just opposing his opponent.
...of course that is always the case (in part because people lie on these sort of polls)...but it was much more marked on the Rep side.
Bush is a polarizing figure, best to leave it at that I guess.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2005, 01:02:37 AM »

Could Frist win the GOP nomination?  Yes he could.

Will he win it?  I personally doubt it.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2005, 11:41:31 AM »

No way (from what my Republican friends tell me).

They describe him as having all the flavor (and backbone) or a 'mashed potato sandwich.'

In a two-way race between him and 'none of the above,' he would lose in a low turnout primary.

Now, it where just him and some slimebay (McCain comes to mind) he could probably eke out a win.

I predict he won't run.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2005, 11:45:39 AM »

I think he's favored by the Bush folks actually.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2005, 02:28:08 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the WH wants Condi to succeed him.  Will she?  Hell, no.  But the Rep. establishment is with Frist.  Allen may not run:  After all, he'd be "Senator Gone."  McCain will run again, may even win a few early primaries, but--unlike us politically inept democrats (Feingold, Hillary, Kerry, Mondale, Dukakis, etc.)--they will let the South (where ppl. aren't clawing there way out of like the NE and Upper MW) determine their nominee.  My bet is Frist.  And he WON'T be easy, even with a Warner or Bayh.  BTW, I'm not hopping on the Bredesden Bandwagon:  He really is a DINO, and if it was Frist v. Phil, Frist would win their state.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2005, 06:14:03 PM »

It all depends on whether the Senate goes nuclear.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2005, 07:31:14 PM »

Frist has a shot of winning the nomination; it's not a good one, but it's there.

He has virtually no shot at winning the election.

J. J. Third Rule of Politics might end up being: "To be elected president, you must have been Vice President or a Governor." 

That has described every presidential victor since 1964.  :-)

Frist is neither.

Out of curiosity, have there been any presidents who were not previously a governor, senator, general,  veep, or cabinet member?

I would say Frist has a nonzero chance at the nomination, but I'm not sure how far it goes beyond that unless he either gets an endorsement from Bush, or backed by Rove.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2005, 07:33:40 PM »

Hoover, Eisenhower
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2005, 07:40:30 PM »

Hoover was Secretary of Commerce- Cabinet Member

Ike was a General- So General
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2005, 07:41:19 PM »

Oh, I thought he just listed elected offices.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2005, 07:46:10 PM »

I don't think Lincoln was any of those things
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2005, 07:52:57 PM »

Oh, I thought he just listed elected offices.

If you are going by elected office only than Herbert and Ike fit the bill.

Also you are right about Old Abe, he was only a U.S. Representative and served multiple terms in the Illinois State Senate.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2005, 08:06:20 PM »

Willkie got the nomination without holding prior elective (or significant non-elective) office...
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2005, 08:29:55 PM »

Look, Frist is not going to get the nomination if he hits Democrats with 500 Trident missiles. It just doesn't matter.. he has a nice resume but isn't a good candidate due to his apparent softness and forced, semi-condescending speaking style.

His odds of being Veep are similarly low.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2005, 08:44:01 PM »

Look, Frist is not going to get the nomination if he hits Democrats with 500 Trident missiles. It just doesn't matter.. he has a nice resume but isn't a good candidate due to his apparent softness and forced, semi-condescending speaking style.

We can only hope so.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2005, 11:27:31 AM »

Whats your beef with Frist?

We can only hope so.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2005, 11:33:15 AM »

Have you read anything in this thread, or the countless others that mention his name?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2005, 12:26:09 PM »

I don't think Lincoln was any of those things

Lincoln was a one term member of the House of Representatives (as a Whig).
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2005, 05:02:12 PM »

I was specifically asking Erc what his concerns were.  I'm understand the points, but where is the hostility coming from.  If you think he's boring.. thats fine... but is boredom something you morally oppose?  Is it cause to get so upset that you would disdain him as the nominee?

Have you read anything in this thread, or the countless others that mention his name?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2005, 05:04:08 PM »

He can't win, he's a cat killer, and he has no significant accomplishments.

I'd vote for him and everything. I'm just saying he'd lose, and big.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies