Why are commodity prices falling?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:17:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Why are commodity prices falling?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are commodity prices falling?  (Read 1033 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2015, 12:11:16 PM »

I have my own opinions, but I'd like to hear everyone else's theories.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 01:02:45 PM »

I read this pretty good piece on just this earlier today! http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21661675-decade-bingeing-raw-materials-may-leave-even-longer-hangover-goodbye
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 01:31:54 PM »

I have my own opinions, but I'd like to hear everyone else's theories.

In short: falling demand from China and a rising dollar.

The sad thing is this would be the perfect opportunity for us to pour money into infrastructure investments with such low commodity prices. But, of course, we're doing no such thing. And African economies dependent on exports to China and cheap credit from that country would have missed an opportunity to painlessly restructure and instead find themselves in hard times.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »

The end of the Fed's QE plays a role here, no?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 05:26:56 PM »

The end of the Fed's QE plays a role here, no?

Which has led to the rising dollar, yes.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 12:14:08 PM »

Commodity prices are falling because consumer demand (in particular from Chinese firms) is falling. That's a no brainer. But why is global demand so weak?
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 10:02:22 PM »

Commodity prices are falling because consumer demand (in particular from Chinese firms) is falling. That's a no brainer. But why is global demand so weak?

Slowing economic growth in developing markets.
rdouty
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 07:39:12 AM »

I don't believe it's as simple as that. The only real weak part of the Chinese economy is the heavy industry sector.

Opex commodities (oil and gas) still experiencing mid single digit y/y demand growth in china -- the drop in price for these commodities definitely stems from continuous supply growth.

Capex commodities (steel, iron, coal) are experiencing the mid single digit demand declines y/y in China. This is coupled by supply growth in iron ore, copper, etc above 10 year trend.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 12:51:37 PM »

Fracking is a huge portion of it, both in terms of the oversupply of oil and the subsequent attempts by OPEC to destroy it; as well as the subsequent glut of displaced American coal coming into the overseas trade competing with the oversupply from other coal mines at the worst possible time (when Chinese demand for both thermal and coking coal was collapsing). The question is, is this a cyclic thing or is the coal market in a structural decline as demand falls?

Of the major players, the Chinese are cutting back on coal imports surprisingly quickly, the Indian coal market is an enormous state of instability at the moment, as are the South Africans, and the coal plants in Germany/Britain/Canada/America seem to be dying a slow death. Only SE Asia (the Phillipines/Indonesia/Thailand/Vietnam) and the Balkans offer a real chance for growth in the thermal sector. I think this coal glut is only going to get worse (RIP AUSTRALIA)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies