Trump is the leading candidate for White Evangelicals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:27:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump is the leading candidate for White Evangelicals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump is the leading candidate for White Evangelicals  (Read 3281 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2015, 01:21:50 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/why-are-white-evangelicals-supporting-trump-it-127261597616.html

This article tries to explain, but still, there's some things I don't think I'll ever understand.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 02:07:34 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/why-are-white-evangelicals-supporting-trump-it-127261597616.html

This article tries to explain, but still, there's some things I don't think I'll ever understand.

Maybe because he's repeatedly been saying that the Bible is much better than even The Art of the Deal? Tongue
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 02:08:30 PM »

He's a really good preacher
Jacobtm

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 02:37:50 PM »

What's hard to understand?

Progressives spend all their time blaming white people for everything. Anti-white sentiment is very clearly the only anti [race] sentiment that is allowed under PC rules and in the media. You see BLM blaming all problems in the black community on racist whites. This is basically what is taught throughout our entire education system and propagated in the media. Evil white colonial racists are responsible for every problem, any problem in any group of people that isn't white is just because of this.

So white people don't, by and large, want to vote for that party.

Is that really surprising?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 02:53:24 PM »

Progressives spend all their time blaming white people for everything. Anti-white sentiment is very clearly the only anti [race] sentiment that is allowed under PC rules and in the media. You see BLM blaming all problems in the black community on racist whites. This is basically what is taught throughout our entire education system and propagated in the media. Evil white colonial racists are responsible for every problem, any problem in any group of people that isn't white is just because of this.

ignoring your strawman.... Why Trump, out of all GOP candidates?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 03:13:20 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2015, 03:17:44 PM by Mehmentum »

One of the great mysteries of the Trump surge has been where his base of support comes from.  He gets about as much support from Tea Party members as from moderates, and everywhere in between.

The original theory was that he his supporters were low information voters, but I find that no longer rings true.  I think that Turmp's brand of populism appeals to a segment of the Republican party that transcends ideological labels.

Polls show that his supporters are generally less educated and lower income.  His supporters have views that almost, but not quite, align with the Republican orthdoxy.  This is why some of these people call themselves moderates,  they dislike to corporatism and poor-shaming that many conservative politicians espouse.  However, they culturally fit into the GOP very well.

This is also why Trump does pretty well in General election 3-way matchups.  He peddles something neither party offers.  The Democrats have culturally alienated these people, and they see Republicans as caring more about the rich than the working class.

Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 03:20:06 PM »

Maybe because he's repeatedly been saying that the Bible is much better than even The Art of the Deal? Tongue

There is something to that. It is part of the Trump playbook to never backdown, however he does know when he makes mistakes and he corrects. Back when he made those McCain comments about being captured he also got flack for saying he never asks God for forgiveness and even mocked taking communion. While he vigorously fought back against critiques of his McCain comment, I think adding his love of the bible to his stump speech showed a shrewd level of correcting his mistake and understanding his conservative audience.
Jacobtm

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 03:37:02 PM »

Not a strawman, the anti-white animus on the left is very real and everpresent. I can't believe you've not ever heard people blaming whites for all the ills that exist in the world, among the Black and Hispanic communities here, etc.

Why Trump? He wants to build a wall, deport illegals, and revoke birthright citizenship. The people supporting him agree with this. He isn't a pussy like the other candidates, defies PC harpies who want him to apologize for everything, and doesn't apologize for his non PC beliefs.

There is no reason we should allow millions of illegals here, or allow their kids to be citizens. Trump is the one promoting that message, and telling the PC Police - who want to force people to apologize for even recognizing the problem - to  off.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 03:48:37 PM »

There is no reason we should allow millions of illegals here, or allow their kids to be citizens. Trump is the one promoting that message, and telling the PC Police - who want to force people to apologize for even recognizing the problem - to  off.

Yet Mitt Romney as the billionaire business man he was knew that he could only stretch as far as asking for self-deportation, as the cost of forcible deportation of millions of Americans would almost certainly mean a down grading of US governmental credit rates (which would in turn probably mean the start of an eternal economic decline, just as happened with Japan after 1990).
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 04:07:23 PM »

Most people I go to church with are Paul or Carson supporters.  Maybe Huckabee has some support too.

But then again, I don't go to a Cultural Christianity Church.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 04:23:41 PM »

Not a strawman, the anti-white animus on the left is very real and everpresent. I can't believe you've not ever heard people blaming whites for all the ills that exist in the world, among the Black and Hispanic communities here, etc.

Why Trump? He wants to build a wall, deport illegals, and revoke birthright citizenship. The people supporting him agree with this. He isn't a pussy like the other candidates, defies PC harpies who want him to apologize for everything, and doesn't apologize for his non PC beliefs.

That doesn't explain why EVANGELICALS support Trump.

And those reverse-racists are not in the mainstream of the Democratic Party.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 04:28:05 PM »

White Evangelicals support Donald Trump because they've been the people wrecking political discourse in this country for decades, might as well kill it dead!
madelka
United States
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 04:40:52 PM »

Trump's problem: White racists are becoming increasingly irrelevant in a presidential year.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 04:47:26 PM »

Trump's problem: White racists are becoming increasingly irrelevant in a presidential year.

Agreed. And I don't know why you hate me.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 04:49:27 PM »

Probably because you make ridiculous posts (and that's coming from me, lol)

Then sorry. (But I don't think I'm the only one.)
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 04:53:53 PM »

Probably because you make ridiculous posts (and that's coming from me, lol)

Then sorry. (But I don't think I'm the only one.)
You should become a Donald Trump supporter, his style is much like yours, except for the Conservative part of his.

Lol, I know. I'm a Donald Trump with brains I guess. Tongue (And without the billions of dollars sadly.)
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 07:25:33 PM »

Trump's support from white Evangelicals stems from his highly patriotic themes and appeals.  "Make America Great Again".  This is a very important theme to white Evangelicals, most of whom are INTENSELY patriotic.  Indeed, Trump has filled the "flag-waver" niche in this GOP campaign that had previously been reserved for Huckabee.

Jacobtm

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 11:31:21 PM »

My absolute favorite things about Trump are:

1. Liberals complaining about him reinterpreting the 14th amendment.

2. Liberals complaining that deportation is too expensive and we have to worry about our spending.

Guys deportation is a shovel ready program! Imagine the jobs it would create! It is pure economic stimulus.
Abraham Reagan
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 2.96

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 11:32:49 PM »

Trump's support from white Evangelicals stems from his highly patriotic themes and appeals.  "Make America Great Again".  This is a very important theme to white Evangelicals, most of whom are INTENSELY patriotic.  Indeed, Trump has filled the "flag-waver" niche in this GOP campaign that had previously been reserved for Huckabee.

This.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 12:50:15 AM »

It won't last, because he's not socially conservative. He's either said nothing or given very mixed answers on social issues, eventually the socially conservative voters will shift to Cruz, Huckabee, or maybe Walker, Rubio, or Carson. Someone who actually agrees with them on issues.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 12:53:51 AM »

It won't last, because he's not socially conservative. He's either said nothing or given very mixed answers on social issues, eventually the socially conservative voters will shift to Cruz, Huckabee, or maybe Walker, Rubio, or Carson. Someone who actually agrees with them on issues.

You're implying white evangelicals are a thinking group of voters. These are the same people that gave their money to Peter Popoff. They have no principles. They'll have faith in Donald Trump.
Abraham Reagan
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 2.96

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 01:01:48 AM »

You're implying white evangelicals are a thinking group of voters. These are the same people that gave their money to Peter Popoff. They have no principles. They'll have faith in Donald Trump.

Life must be really easy for you, huh? When you can simply write off a whole group of decent Americans simply because you disagree with them.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 01:53:01 AM »

Life must be really easy for you, huh? When you can simply write off a whole group of decent Americans simply because you disagree with them.

If they ever prove me wrong, I would be so happy. So far? I've been proven right at every turn.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 03:43:23 AM »

White Evangelicals have been demonized by the World and dismissed as lunatics and fanatics routinely.  Being one, I understand this; Jesus, Himself said to his disciples:  "If the World hates you, remember that it hated Me, first."  Being written off by folks isn't (and shouldn't) be too much of a surprise for believers.  But to say such folks have "no principles" is unfair to the point of slander.  If I were to say this about the BLM folks, I'd be pilloried as an insensitive racist.  (Of course, if I advocated putting on trial every police officer who used deadly force, even when there was no probably cause to indicate that a crime had been committed, I'd be labeled a "compassionate progressive", so . . .)

White Evangelicals have faith in GOD, not in Donald Trump.  That the faith of white Evangelicals leads many of them to, pretty much, reject the Democratic Party out of hand should not be surprising.  The Democratic Party has made certain positions on Biblically relevant issues (abortion, SSM) litmus tests.  Even worse, the Democratic Party as a whole has taken a rhetorical posture of hostility toward Evangelicals to the point where many have concluded that the Democratic Party is, indeed, anti-Christianity, and views Christianity as evil (unless it's from black churches who sponsor Souls to the Polls efforts).

White Evangelicals are concerned about the state of our nation, and it's role in the World.  They are very much concerned with a declining America.  They believe that America is both a GREAT nation and a GOOD nation, and they believe that the world is better off BECAUSE OF AMERICA.  This is hardly an incoherent belief, and they are concerned with the self-flagellation many folks wish to subject America to; they see such a posture as defeatist and dangerous.  And they see the decline in morality in America as a factor that drains us as a nation.  They see the decline in the institution of the traditional family as an event that is undermining the viability of America as a nation, and they are not wrong about this in the least.  And they have seen any number of Republican politicians give them lip service on these issues while campaigning, only to do nothing about them once elected. 

Trump, of all people, is addressing THESE concerns.  Evangelicals support Trump not because he's their religious example, but because he addresses their specific concerns about the overall condition of America as a nation, and not just some list of issues they think are important.  Trump's not promising them Moral Utopia, but he IS promising them a more respected and more effective America, and these are promises that a President CAN deliver on.  And Trump is a person that IS respected and HAS accomplished things that actually suggest that he can improve the standing of America in the World and reduce the perception (and the actuality, for that matter) of American Decline.   Those aren't unimportant issues, and Trump is probably MORE likely to address them than any other of the mediocrities running for President in both parties.
ViaActiva

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 04:43:53 AM »

Trump is doing well across all groups because he is the only one who is channelling the anger that many Americans feel about the pace of change in the country and abroad (the insecurity brought by globalisation and technology, Obama's election, Supreme Court rulings on Obamacare and gay marriage, immigration, ISIS etc.). Different groups have different points of emphasis - e.g. for evangelicals morality and gay marriage, but there is a general thread of anger and insecurity that works against the positioning and donor chasing of established GOP politicians.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies