How often do you read the Bible?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:03:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  How often do you read the Bible?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How often do you read the Bible?  (Read 2184 times)
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2015, 02:20:35 PM »

I try to read at least one chapter a day.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 02:43:29 PM »

Me too.  I often watch sermon videos or something, and then read the relevant text. 

If I'm in the right mood for it, I tend to plow through a whole book (one of the Gospels or a more lengthy epistle like Romans) in one sitting.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 05:48:19 PM »

Almost never.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 08:28:34 PM »

Less often than I should.

I decided on a whim in 2014 to finish reading the entire Bible by the end of the year. I did a lot of reading in December and managed to finish it around 11:15pm on December 31st. Tongue  Of course the deadline was arbitrary and meaningless and I would obviously have done better to do it slowly etc etc but I need to impose deadlines if I'm ever going to get myself away from the computer and actually do it. It also meant that at one point I was reading Douay-Rheims translation of the book of Ezekiel on my smart phone while proctoring a thermo exam, which I find interesting in that it's such a specific set of things that I might actually be the only person who has ever done that.

I basically did no Bible reading from then until Lent, apart from that for my Bible study (does it "count" for the purposes of this question if it isn't alone?). I've been slacking this summer too, mainly because I've been reading more philosophy (about hylemorphic dualism) that has captivated my interests. I always go in spurts with these sorts of things unless they find their way into a prayer routine, but Bible reading isn't there right now.
Small L
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 11:20:42 PM »

I read it occasionally (mostly online) in order to pick out all the best quotes to show to my Christian friends.
I'm sure that helps foster your friendships (assuming you actually do that).

Anyway, I've been reading the Bible at least three or four days a week as of late since I'm trying to get through the whole thing. That will probably slow down soon as school is starting up again.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 11:43:45 PM »

I read it occasionally (mostly online) in order to pick out all the best quotes to show to my Christian friends.

“I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

"Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered." (Matthew 21:18-22)

"Happy shall they be who take your little ones and dash them against the rock!" (Psalm 137:9)

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die." (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

"Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and possess the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants." (Isaiah 14:21)

Good book.

Sigh....you can find good solid theological resources explaining those verses in their proper context, but I guess you just want to be annoying about it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 04:46:34 AM »

I read the lectionary daily which includes short OT, NT and Gospel readings plus a Psalm or two.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 05:53:52 AM »

Sigh....you can find good solid theological resources explaining those verses in their proper context, but I guess you just want to be annoying about it.

When reading stories of gathering 200 foreskins for Saul to marry Michal, female bears killing children for mocking a bald man, Noah exiling his previously unmentioned grandson after Noah got drunk, god saying to Moses that the blind, lame, deformed, crippled, people with eye defects or damaged testicles cannot offer at the temple, Ezekiel being commanded to lie on his left side then right side and eat bread baked over a fire of cow sh!t (after bartering it down from his own sh!t), Jesus cursing fig trees and magicking coins out of a fishes mouth…

Then I don't think pointing out the absurdity of these is 'being annoying' about it. Perhaps the issue isn’t ‘proper context’ but that there perhaps is no context. It’s just an assemblage of stories.  If it’s all about context and metaphor and interpretation then it’s not worth anything.

I'll bite on one.

The bible is very clear on slavery. ‘You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners.’ ‘You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance’ (Lev 25:44-46)

Exodus 21:2-6 gives specific instructions as to how Hebrew slaves are to be treated; freed after 7 years but his wife and children belong to the master. The slave, if he loves his wife and children may elect to remain a slave forever. He is to be publically branded as such with the piercing of his ear by and awl. By holding a slaves wife (which the same passage says is a wife ‘given’ to him by his master) and their children hostage by law, a master can effectively own his Hebrew slave forever.

The truth about these passages is inconveniently uncomfortable for Christians; the instructions are straightforward. We happen to know now that owning a person is morally impermissible. So when faced with what is clearly a straightforward passage, apologists assume that there must be something unknown, some ‘context’ that justifies them. If you read these in any other document it would be very straightforward for a Christian to declare them immoral. If they were found in any other holy text they would no doubt be used to discredit the text and the religion. There would not be the search for the context or the subtext of what is being said.

Considering this, I struggle to understand in what context, even if one was to be entertained, that the purchase of slaves as a permanent and inheritable property is ever justified. Whether you own another person for 50 years or 5 minutes it is still an immoral proposition no matter how 'well' they are treated or however you wish to categorise bondage. The Bible endorses human ownership. You can own a person. You can beat them as a punishment as long as it doesn’t cause their immediate death. If it takes them a few days to finally die, then their master can go unpunished. That is morally reprehensible.

Yet we are told that this is the most perfectly moral book ever written and inspired by the most loving and perfect being conceivable. Perhaps in fact, there is no divine, compassionate subtext or context beneath the slavery and the genocide commanded in scripture. Perhaps it is what it is.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 06:31:31 AM »

All I can say is that Donald Trump was too humble in his book rankings.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 10:31:12 AM »

Me too.  I often watch sermon videos or something, and then read the relevant text. 

If I'm in the right mood for it, I tend to plow through a whole book (one of the Gospels or a more lengthy epistle like Romans) in one sitting.

What's your preferred version? Mine is, of course, the KJV.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 04:05:18 PM »

ESV for study, KJV for beauty.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 04:20:57 PM »

I have a Good News Translation as a physical copy, though I read ESV or KJV if I'm reading online.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 04:52:25 PM »

Once a day, I've already read the whole thing in English and since my catholic school makes you read it in Latin I'm about 3/4 of the way through with it in Latin. I use the New American Bible but I have many KJV and others.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 10:50:05 AM »

"A more beautiful or precious morsel of ethics I have never seen; it is a document in proof that I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus."

Thomas Jefferson -- I believe that he was only refering to his version of the Bible which only included parts of the four gospels. There are other parts of the Bible to which that sentence could refer.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 05:09:38 PM »

Used to be rarely, but now that I'm taking a religion class at the Singles church, quite often.

/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 09:39:33 PM »

I'm sure that helps foster your friendships (assuming you actually do that).

Of course it does. It sparks active and interesting conversation, and my friends certainly aren't conceited enough to obstinately refuse to listen to valid criticism of their beliefs (nor am I).
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 09:42:03 PM »

“I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

"Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered." (Matthew 21:18-22)

"Happy shall they be who take your little ones and dash them against the rock!" (Psalm 137:9)

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die." (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

"Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and possess the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants." (Isaiah 14:21)

Good book.

You can't just dismiss a criticism by saying "ohh I'm sure there's someone out there who can explain it right."

And it's really hard to take those quotes out of context, regardless. The one talking about dashing kids against rocks, for example, has to do with God allowing the Jews to punish their former Babylonian captors by killing their innocent children mercilessly.

Smiley
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 05:34:57 AM »

Good book.

You can't just dismiss a criticism by saying "ohh I'm sure there's someone out there who can explain it right."

It's hardly unfair to expect one to have a working knowledge of the material before spouting off, but you just cherry picked some quotes to bring up  non-issues or controversies that were resolved 1900 years ago. Honestly, I'm surprised you didn't try to bring up shellfish or blended fabrics.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 11:30:18 AM »

Resolved 1900 years ago?  You mean before many books were formally  written down, declared canon and before most of the ecumenical councils declared what was doctrine or heresy?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 12:58:37 PM »

Resolved 1900 years ago?  You mean before many books were formally  written down, declared canon and before most of the ecumenical councils declared what was doctrine or heresy?

Rise Peter kill and eat.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 03:50:51 PM »

I try to read about ten chapters a week. I use the KJV.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 06:40:57 PM »

2-5 chapters a day.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2015, 07:11:54 PM »

Good book.

It's hardly unfair to expect one to have a working knowledge of the material before spouting off, but you just cherry picked some quotes to bring up  non-issues or controversies that were resolved 1900 years ago. Honestly, I'm surprised you didn't try to bring up shellfish or blended fabrics.

Yeah.  Honestly, gotquestions, Alpha/Omega Ministries, and CARM should cover nearly every standard skeptic's question.  There's really no excuse with Google to not know that the bondservant system of Biblical times was far different than modern slavery, that Psalm 137:9 was taken completely out of context, etc.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2015, 08:22:31 PM »

Good book.

Yeah.  Honestly, gotquestions, Alpha/Omega Ministries, and CARM should cover nearly every standard skeptic's question.  There's really no excuse with Google to not know that the bondservant system of Biblical times was far different than modern slavery, that Psalm 137:9 was taken completely out of context, etc.

I already explained the actual context of that Psalm, and you're doing exactly what I said you shouldn't do by just assuming that somebody else has all the answers. You can provide all the pro-Bible websites you want to, but yes, I've seen them, and their reasoning is pretty pathetic. If you actually want to make an argument in favor of your position, you should give your own explanation instead of relying on somebody else to do that for you.

Seriously, you're basically just saying "ohh you're wrong; these other people will tell you why" but you're still yet to explain why, for example, Psalm 137:9 is taken out of context or why slavery was apparently A-okay back in the Biblical days. I could do the exact same thing you are by providing a list of websites/internet sources that explain why the Bible is wrong, but I'm sure you wouldn't accept that.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 09:17:10 PM »

There is no denying that Psalm 137:9 is by modern standards a difficult verse. It becomes somewhat less difficult in context as it becomes clear that it is referring to an example of eye-for-eye retributive justice for what was done at the sacking of Jerusalem. I'm a firm believer in progressive revelation, by which I mean that the Divine reveals both emself and ethics as Humanity is ready to receive such revelation. Psalm 137 was written near the end of the era in which proportionate retribution was the most advanced ethic people were willing to accept. Indeed, many still are stuck at that level or worse, the level of disproportionate retribution.

Christianity in my view requires the doctrine of progressive revelation to justify why Christ did not make emself known earlier and it accords with the history of ethical development, even if one does not ascribe that revelation to Divine inspiration.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies