Do you prefer to work non-normal hours?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:55:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you prefer to work non-normal hours?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you prefer to work non-normal hours?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Do you prefer to work non-normal hours?  (Read 1514 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2015, 06:28:03 PM »

My current work schedule is Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday, 9:30AM to 8PM.

And I think it's awesome. I never have to work more than two days in a row! Plus I have two weekdays off I can do any errands I need when everything is sure to be open.

Honestly don't think I'd ever want to work M-F 9-5 if I can ever help it.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 06:41:22 PM »

I do not.  I'm not all that crazy about working normal hours either, but non-normal ones are worse.

Your schedule seems okay, except for the Saturday bit.  When I worked for the federal government we were on a 440 gig.  That's Monday through Thursdays, 8ish to 6ish, which, as a practical matter, meant 9ish to 5ish for most of us.  Four days a week is good workweek, but if I were you I'd ditch Saturday and pick up Thursday.  That way you'd have Monday and Tuesday, get a break on Wednesday, then work Thursday and Friday.  Not exactly a three-day weekend, but you could still claim never to work more than two days in a row and you'd still get "normal" weekends off.  Once you hit puberty, assuming that one day even you will, you'll appreciate this.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 07:03:09 PM »

That's not how my job works. We were given a list of possible shifts and that wasn't one of them.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 07:40:27 PM »

okay, but I make it 42 hours per week.  Are you on a salary, independent of the number of hours you work?  If so, then you might try harder to make your own schedule.  If not, then you might try harder to make sure that they pay you time and a half for the extra hours.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 07:49:51 PM »

Yes and I currently do so.

My wife works funny hours (12-8, Tue-Sat), and my work is extremely flexible outside tax season. I stay late Tuesday to Friday (which my wife is working anyway) and take Mondays off so we can spend more time together. Smiley
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 07:55:25 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2015, 07:57:44 PM by DavidB. »

Yes. I like to work at night (1AM - 7AM), and I do so currently. I work at home, though, so I can go to bed immediately afterwards.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 08:00:41 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2015, 08:07:56 PM by RR1997 »

Working 9AM-7PM from Monday to Friday plus working on Saturday from 9AM-3PM would be my dream work schedule. A 56 hour work week would be perfect. I would also like to do absolutely no work at home.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 08:07:39 PM »

For over 30 years my work has been a 24/7 affair. There are generally some fixed hours to be somewhere for class or a meeting, but the rest is scheduled as I need it. I'm as prone to work on notes at 1 am as am during regular hours. I'm used to fixed hours only known 1 to 4 weeks in advance, so I rely heavily on a calendar to keep track of fixed events.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 08:43:36 PM »

Yup.

Dream schedule would probably be 9:30 - 7:30 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. I love having Wednesdays; a nice break right in the middle. Work two days, day off, work two days, two days off.

I don't mind working on weekends, because that would allow me to have a weekday off to do the things I need to do while everyone else is at their jobs (like shopping, driving, going out, etc.)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 08:51:19 PM »

Closest thing I've ever had to 9-5 was a 7-3:30 demolition job last summer. Given how long the drive was for certain job sites, I can't speak from experience about what a normal schedule would look like. I imagine a regular 7-3, 8-4, or 9-5 would fit the way I like to live my life a lot better than the hours I currently work. You're on everyone else's schedule, so you can hang out with them; you can wake up, go to work, workout, eat dinner, drink, pass out, which is my ideal schedule. The hours I work right now, despite being only 36 per week, are brutal since I get 22 of that in on the weekends, which has me waking up at 5:30 AM on Saturday and Sunday. I'm looking pretty forward to, either in a semester, or after graduation, finally slipping into a "normal" schedule.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 09:06:02 PM »

okay, but I make it 42 hours per week.  Are you on a salary, independent of the number of hours you work?  If so, then you might try harder to make your own schedule.  If not, then you might try harder to make sure that they pay you time and a half for the extra hours.

No, I get paid hourly. And yes if I ever work overtime, I do get paid time and a half.

I should point out my job also pays a shift differential for working late and weekends, so even if a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday schedule was available, I would get paid less for it.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 09:47:46 PM »

I'm unemployed.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 01:52:11 AM »

No. Evenings are short enough that I don't like longer days even if it means a three day weekend or a day off in the middle of the week. I've done it that way before with four days and those four days just felt so much longer that it isn't worth it to me.

I also dislike late shifts, a lot of jobs in my the market I am working now start at 1 or 2pm and end between 8 and 10pm. You have to look for a specific type of job in this field if you want the standard hours. I've managed to avoid those afternoon jobs thankfully.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 03:22:36 AM »

I work extremely variable hours at two different places at the moment, so just having one job with set hours would be a step up for me, tbh.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 04:58:49 AM »

Currently working 10 AM - 6 PM and I'm ecstatic about it compared to my previous job doing 9 PM - 5:30 AM. I'd absolutely be down for four ten hour days for a third day off if that were somehow available, though.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 12:17:37 PM »

I currently work from 9am to 6.30pm

I usually work between 39-45 hours a week, despite only having 38.5 hours in my work contract - which means I get surplus hours worth 1 day off every 2-3 weeks.

I usually only take a handful of days with surplus time off during the year, so I can use them all at once at some point.

Which means I have ca. 2 weeks additional paid vacation each year, on top of the 5 weeks that I have regularly.

And yeah, I would also work non-traditional hours if I could choose - but not on Sundays.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »

No, I get paid hourly. And yes if I ever work overtime, I do get paid time and a half.

I should point out my job also pays a shift differential for working late and weekends, so even if a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday schedule was available, I would get paid less for it.

That all seems reasonable, and since you don't mind the the weird hours (or the extra pay), then your current schedule works well for you. 

Like muon, I've been known to work on projects in the middle of the night, and on weekends, but It'd be a little disingenuous to say that I'm on 24/7.  I really don't like taking homework home, and neither does my wife, who has a similar job description as mine at another institution about an hour away, so we agree to try to be a family on evenings and weekends and leave the work at work.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 10:43:49 PM »

I've worked 11pm to 7am since 1999.  I like the hours, I'm a night owl by nature.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »

No. Routine is comforting, and a discipline, which most of us need. Certainly I do, or did, until I decided to revert to being a randy irresponsible (sort of), adolescent again as I approached age 60. I just have a life's journey that's atypical.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 08:34:38 PM »

Yes by American standards

By standards of countries that allot four hours off midday for rest,no. But yeah afternoons just zap it out of me.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 03:45:26 AM »

Yes. The morning is generally not a productive time for most.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies