Do you prefer to work non-normal hours? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:18:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you prefer to work non-normal hours? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you prefer to work non-normal hours?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Do you prefer to work non-normal hours?  (Read 1524 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: August 23, 2015, 06:41:22 PM »

I do not.  I'm not all that crazy about working normal hours either, but non-normal ones are worse.

Your schedule seems okay, except for the Saturday bit.  When I worked for the federal government we were on a 440 gig.  That's Monday through Thursdays, 8ish to 6ish, which, as a practical matter, meant 9ish to 5ish for most of us.  Four days a week is good workweek, but if I were you I'd ditch Saturday and pick up Thursday.  That way you'd have Monday and Tuesday, get a break on Wednesday, then work Thursday and Friday.  Not exactly a three-day weekend, but you could still claim never to work more than two days in a row and you'd still get "normal" weekends off.  Once you hit puberty, assuming that one day even you will, you'll appreciate this.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 07:40:27 PM »

okay, but I make it 42 hours per week.  Are you on a salary, independent of the number of hours you work?  If so, then you might try harder to make your own schedule.  If not, then you might try harder to make sure that they pay you time and a half for the extra hours.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »

okay, but I make it 42 hours per week.  Are you on a salary, independent of the number of hours you work?  If so, then you might try harder to make your own schedule.  If not, then you might try harder to make sure that they pay you time and a half for the extra hours.

No, I get paid hourly. And yes if I ever work overtime, I do get paid time and a half.

I should point out my job also pays a shift differential for working late and weekends, so even if a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday schedule was available, I would get paid less for it.

That all seems reasonable, and since you don't mind the the weird hours (or the extra pay), then your current schedule works well for you. 

Like muon, I've been known to work on projects in the middle of the night, and on weekends, but It'd be a little disingenuous to say that I'm on 24/7.  I really don't like taking homework home, and neither does my wife, who has a similar job description as mine at another institution about an hour away, so we agree to try to be a family on evenings and weekends and leave the work at work.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies