The topless parade. Pride or Shame?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:59:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The topless parade. Pride or Shame?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The topless parade. Pride or Shame?  (Read 6849 times)
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 03:43:36 PM »

LOL, ^this guy knows what's up.
Bro Rogers
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 08:53:20 AM »

Men and women should both be allowed to be topless in public (normal, not a prude).

What, in particular, is wrong about being prudish in this particular situation. I no more wish to observe the breasts of some random woman in the street than I wish to observe a man who has his dick dangling out on said street. There is nothing illogical about this desire, and it is one that I can only assume is shared by the vast majority of the population.

Topless women is an odd thing to be offended about in modern Western culture. It harms nobody. Although I have no problem with people exercising their freedom of speech and telling these women why they think they ought to cover up, there's no reason why they oughtn't have the right to be topless. Cultural norms staying cultural and not part of the legal system is what's breast. I mean, best. I mean, what were we talking about?

Having to, potentially, interact with a stranger who has their breasts (which, for most people, are a rather private part of their body) hanging out is something that I can only imagine to be greatly discomfiting and embarrassing for a great many people. It most certainly is not something that harms nobody.

To be fair, I passed a man the other day who was wearing the most hideous tops you could imagine. It was one of those rugby style shirts with thick horizontal stripes in brash primary colours. It caused me A horrid amount of discomforture, but alas it is his freedom to wear gross shirts.

The breasts and nipples are not a sexual organ, however we view them in society, so exposing it is not like a man's penis being allowed free reign. Rather it is directly comparable to a man's breast. So as long as we treat both kinds of nipple with equal treatment, I don't see anything wrong with parade. Perhaps it's time society behaved less like sning schoolboys over the issue.

As an obvious addendum, at what point during a transwoman's transition does the nipple become verboten?
But I hope you would agree that men walking shirtless on Manhattan (not beach or gym, or park, or their backyards) is something improper too. I mean nobody would feel hurt about that, but a lot would feel uncomfortable.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 09:15:26 AM »

Why is it anybody's job to cater to somebody else's irrational ideas about what makes them uncomfortable? Can't you extend this pretty easily into women having to wear more modest dress in general because it would make people uncomfortable otherwise?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 09:17:57 AM »

People should be able to do what they want as long as it doesn't harm anybody that doesn't want to be harmed.  And actual harm, not feelings hurt harm nor offended harm.  The female breast, soft as it is, is incapable of harm.

harm
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »

I like topless women (heterosexual normal)

So do I. Indoors. In bed.

Why is it anybody's job to cater to somebody else's irrational ideas about what makes them uncomfortable? Can't you extend this pretty easily into women having to wear more modest dress in general because it would make people uncomfortable otherwise?

Hardly irrational. I don't want to see the body part that is informally, yet widely, recognised as having deeply sexual connotations in situations where those connotations are inappropriate.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2015, 12:16:49 PM »

I like topless women (heterosexual normal)

So do I. Indoors. In bed.

Hardly irrational. I don't want to see the body part that is informally, yet widely, recognised as having deeply sexual connotations in situations where those connotations are inappropriate.

What if I had a foot fetish? Would I have the right to demand that women cover up their feet to satisfy my prudishness?

A lot of what this functionally comes down to is people tut-tutting women for breastfeeding in public. It's happened to my wife multiple times. That's shameful.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 02:41:05 AM »

There are a lot of out and out creeps posting in this thread. That is all.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2015, 09:31:09 PM »

Am I one of those creeps? Sad
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2015, 10:14:04 PM »

Am I one of those creeps? Sad

If you had to ask......

(Actually no Smiley)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 04:43:40 AM »

I say go ahead. There's nothing harmful about exposing body parts that aren't genitalia. I got to say, America is unique with its prudishness.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2015, 12:21:36 PM »

Walking around shirtless doesn't hurt anybody.  Sure, people might be offended, and people have the right to be offended.  But being offended by something doesn't mean you can infringe on someone else's freedom of expression.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 01:48:51 PM »

Troll thread, probably. Still, I don't think "topless parades" have any place in a decent city. (Men shouldn't be walking around through a city "topless" either.)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2015, 08:45:10 PM »

Having to, potentially, interact with a stranger who has their breasts (which, for most people, are a rather private part of their body) hanging out is something that I can only imagine to be greatly discomfiting and embarrassing for a great many people. It most certainly is not something that harms nobody.

Explain. 

Well, it physically harms no-one, other than the proverbial guy who gets distracted (as we men, regrettably, do) and walks into a lamp post or crashes his car. However, if we apply a broad definition of harm to include discomfiture, then having these, ah, items on display most certainly will cause discomfiture and embarrassment for many, and thus harm.

'If it makes me uncomfortable, it is harming me.  Ergo, it should be prohibited.'

What kind of 'logic' is that? A lot of things in life makes me uncomfortable (i.e. gay male couples holding hands and kissing), yet I don't go out of my way to prohibit the act. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Do tell. 
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2015, 09:12:30 PM »

Hell has frozen over in that Bill DeBlaisio and Andrew Cuomo actually agree with each other on something, and even stranger, I agree with them!
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2015, 09:30:13 PM »

Hell has frozen over in that Bill DeBlaisio and Andrew Cuomo actually agree with each other on something, and even stranger, I agree with them!
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2015, 10:20:54 PM »

Also:

1. You say that like it's a bad thing.
2. band name
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2015, 02:49:42 PM »

Because it is?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2015, 02:52:37 PM »

(Men shouldn't be walking around through a city "topless" either.)

you are truly bizarre
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2015, 04:09:56 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2015, 04:14:36 PM by DavidB. »

you are truly bizarre
I'm not talking about beaches or something. You think it's normal for men to walk around through a city without a shirt on? Like, on the street, in the subway, in the supermarket, in Starbucks? Because I think that's inappropriate, and even if one thinks it isn't, I fail to see why this opinion would render me "truly bizarre".
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »

you are truly bizarre
I'm not talking about beaches or something. You think it's normal for men to walk around through a city without a shirt on? Like, on the street, in the subway, in the supermarket, in Starbucks? Because I think that's inappropriate, and even if one thinks it isn't, I fail to see why this opinion would render me "truly bizarre".

Men should have their shirts off at all times ofc (unless they're really gross)
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2015, 07:06:18 PM »

My problem is, you say that like it's a real thing. Feminazis don't exist. That is such a bullsh*t right-wing myth.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2015, 10:22:38 PM »

My problem is, you say that like it's a real thing. Feminazis don't exist. That is such a bullsh*t right-wing myth.

They exist on Tumblr, that's for sure. 
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2015, 12:21:33 AM »

A woman having a generalized dislike for men is, at worst, an undesirable but understandable inconvenience to men who aren't terribles and, at best, a deliciously frustrating encumbrance to men who are terribles.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2015, 12:28:51 AM »

A woman having a generalized dislike for men is, at worst, an undesirable but understandable inconvenience to men who aren't terribles and, at best, a deliciously frustrating encumbrance to men who are terribles.

But said women can also make men 'terribles.'
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2015, 12:37:10 AM »

But said women can also make men 'terribles.'

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies