Can Trump just implode already?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:29:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Can Trump just implode already?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Can Trump just implode already?  (Read 10611 times)
Cory
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 01:14:28 PM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2015, 02:06:34 PM »

The GOP has four choices:

1. Nominate Rubio
2. Nominate Bush
3. Nominate Paul
4. Lose

Nominate Kasich
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2015, 02:25:45 PM »

The GOP has four five choices:

1. Nominate Rubio
2. Nominate Bush
3. Nominate Paul
4. Nominate Kasich
5. Lose

FTFY Wink

I've got to tell you, I'm not so convinced John "God Wanted me to Expand Medicaid" Kasich could win a general election. I think his lack of diversity in his Ohio cabinet will be used against him in a major way in a general election. Additionally, if you think Jeb stumbled on Iraq, Kasich went from urging an invasion in 2002 to now saying he never would have gone in. 
So Kasich can't win a general election because of lack of diversity in his Ohio cabinet and Jeb's links with his brother are not a problem? Roll Eyes
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 02:47:56 PM »

The GOP has four five choices:

1. Nominate Rubio
2. Nominate Bush
3. Nominate Paul
4. Nominate Kasich
5. Lose

FTFY Wink

I've got to tell you, I'm not so convinced John "God Wanted me to Expand Medicaid" Kasich could win a general election. I think his lack of diversity in his Ohio cabinet will be used against him in a major way in a general election. Additionally, if you think Jeb stumbled on Iraq, Kasich went from urging an invasion in 2002 to now saying he never would have gone in. 
So Kasich can't win a general election because of lack of diversity in his Ohio cabinet and Jeb's links with his brother are not a problem? Roll Eyes

Atlas is Bizarro World where Kasich can take a conversation about Trump and make into a conversation about Kasich. Meanwhile, back on Earth…

Republican voters care a lot less about the party's brand than Republican leaders do, and in general, don't care what their leaders care about. The alienation of the base from the leaders is part of the reason the GOP's favorability lags 30 points behind that of the Democrats.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 04:35:37 PM »

https://instagram.com/p/6xi2dEGhfn/
https://instagram.com/p/6NbVyEmhdB/

This is brutal stuff and many, many people are seeing it and it costs next to nothing to create.

Donald Trump is ripping Jeb Bush to shreds. If you want to take Trump down, you have to take him seriously and fight back. If Jeb Bush pretends Donald Trump doesn't exist, this is not going to go well for him.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2015, 04:55:32 PM »

1.) Trump is making a spectacle of the primaries, drawing away attention from other candidates and disrupting the process. 
2.) He rhetoric may be turning away Latinos and other swing voters.
3.) He's pulling other candidates to the right on immigration.
4.) He's increasing the odds of a brokered convention
5.) He may run as an independent.

Obviously, the last 2 are less likely, but are absolutely disastrous if they do happen.

I honestly don't know what the GOP's play is.  Attack Trump doesn't work, and it doesn't look like he'll implode by himself.  Ignoring him is impossible since the media will cover him regardless.  There just doesn't seem to be a way to stop him until the primaries start up.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 05:16:12 PM »

https://instagram.com/p/6xi2dEGhfn/
https://instagram.com/p/6NbVyEmhdB/

This is brutal stuff and many, many people are seeing it and it costs next to nothing to create.

Donald Trump is ripping Jeb Bush to shreds. If you want to take Trump down, you have to take him seriously and fight back. If Jeb Bush pretends Donald Trump doesn't exist, this is not going to go well for him.

Those are amazing. If those character attacks stick (and people are already overwhelmingly down on Jeb because of his name)...
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 06:05:32 PM »

Trump is the GOP's reckoning. Here to end the borrowed time you've all been living on. Tell me, do you feel in charge of your party?

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 06:25:30 PM »

Trump will implode..

...during one of the debates between him and Hillary Clinton, which is when the ugly underbelly of what the GOP is for a great number of people will finally be exposed for all to see.

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 06:46:49 PM »

I seriously can't believe Trump's supporters are so dedicated to him, he had a horrible debate performance but ROSE in the polls because people thought Meghan Kelly, Chris Wallace and Bret Baier were unfair to him at the debate, omg.... Once the field starts shrinking let's see how well he does though.
Jacobtm

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 07:13:36 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2015, 07:38:39 PM by Seinfeld »

Cry more, cucks.

Liberals will never stop calling Republicans racist, sexist, whatever.

You can keep cowering and trying to pick candidates that you think liberals will like the most, or just go with the only guy who actually has a shot of winning.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2015, 07:40:16 PM »

I get the feeling that this thread will be bumped in November 2016 a few days after Trump wins the election with some people mocking this stuff.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 07:46:32 PM »

Donald Trump The Republican Party is an embarrassment and needs to go back to 1850 where it belongs.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 07:48:50 PM »

I get the feeling that this thread will be bumped in November 2016 a few days after Trump wins the election with some people mocking this stuff.

If China crashes, this is actually a legitimate possibility.  Fasten your seatbelts, folks.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2015, 09:42:22 PM »

You made a party for crazy, and crazy came. Deal with it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2015, 10:30:23 PM »

Now you know how we've felt about Hillary Clinton for years.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2015, 10:31:29 PM »

I hope he wins the nomination.

Like really there's NO WAY that he would win the GE.

Literally.

No way.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2015, 10:33:26 PM »

Literally.

No way.

Stop that. Right now. This is called "hubris," and there's a goddess named Nemesis who comes and punishes people with it with hilariously ironic punishments. In this case, that's President Trump.

Never say that Trump is unelectable, that basically guarantees that he will be. See what's happening to the Republicans right now in their primary.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2015, 10:34:58 PM »

Literally.

No way.

Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2015, 10:46:43 PM »

I can't believe I'm actually going to agree with Dudeabides here. Trump is going to make us look stupid and he probably will say something stupid in a debate with Clinton and will cause her to win a Reagan style landslide.

I don't think Clinton would reach Reagan level (500ish) electoral votes though I was thinking it'd be closer to a Johnson-over-Goldwater type landslide.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2015, 12:03:03 AM »

Come on, Mikado, you don't actually think Trump could win a GE.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2015, 12:38:28 AM »

BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2015, 01:08:43 AM »

Trump could win against Sanders but that's it.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »

Trump could win against Sanders but that's it.

I have a hard time seeing it. Sanders would definitely be the favorite in that matchup.

Edit: Chafee on the other hand....
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2015, 08:40:42 AM »

You all completely underestimated Donald Trump two months ago and you're paying the price for it now. He is in it to win it and if you want to stop him you can't just wait and hope he goes away on his own.

At this point, given how weak Jeb is, your best anti-Trump option might be Ben Carson. Wink

Seriously. I made a thread like a month ago saying Trump was here to stay and all the Republicans here trotted out 538 articles about flavors of the month. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the fundamentals of this race and the polls to see that Trump will last through the first contests. Now they're saying that once people have their ballots in hand, they'll second guess their decision. Nope. If he's polling on top before Iowa, he will win Iowa. It's that simple. Why does the GOP live in perpetual denial? Oh yes, because they have created an alternate universe where they are spoon fed lies and exist in an echo chamber.

Somewhat paradoxically, this same alternate universe helped produce Trump. Funny, huh? Nothing better than an uneducated, angry base of working class voters fed up with the establishment elites who love their trickle down economics and widening the gap between the wealthy and everyone else. Have the poor GOP voters finally seen through the charades? Is the Reagan coalition crumbling?

I've been thinking this very same thing, only it's not just the GOP living in denial. It's the whole Beltway media and all of the thinkers and pundits who have to churn out words on the race every day for two years straight. It's easy to keep cranking things out if you insist that you know exactly what's going to happen and that what's happening now must be a minor blip because it differs from what you know must happen.

I think Trump has warped the dynamics of the race to the point where people's experiences are no longer necessarily operative for predicting what's going to happen.

We had people saying he was ridiculous and that he'd be out of the race in a couple of weeks. Nope.

We had people saying that his crude attacks on immigrants would put people off. Nope.

We had people saying when he attacked John McCain the base would lash out at him and he would crater. Nope.

We had people saying when he attacked Megyn Kelly that the base would lash out and come to Fox News's defense. Nope.

So why should we trust these people now when they say that Trump is eventually going to implode? What evidence do they have to base this on? What track record have they shown of being able to accurately assess the dynamics of this race?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies