Are hispanics populist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:50:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are hispanics populist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: are hispanics populist?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Are hispanics populist?  (Read 1947 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2005, 07:33:50 PM »

It seems to me, many of them fit in that category, mostly the illegals who come in.  They like services such as medicaid and welfare and free public schooling (economic left), but hate abortions, gay marriages, and going against family traditions (social right)

Vote and discuss
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 07:37:07 PM »

The Fresno County ones are populist.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 07:37:29 PM »

On the whole,, I do think there is a tendency towrd populism.  However, there are a lot of differences between different hispanic populations and here in NY we have them all.  A Puerto Rican is a lot different than say an El Salvadorian
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 07:46:13 PM »

No. The poor illegals like government services, duh. But Hispanics don't like them any more than anyone else.

They're more conservative.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 07:52:37 PM »

Generally
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 08:20:14 PM »

One of the interesting trends that's starting to develop in Texas...

(and it will happen in Texas first, if it does happen, because Hispanic and white populations are much closer in terms of culture and society than anywhere else in the US)

is that Hispanic voters are starting to act more and more like white voters in Texas.

When they live in rural areas, they tend to believe and vote extremely populist.  When they live in urban areas, they tend to believe and vote fairly standardly liberal (though leaning a little towards the populist side).  And when they get into the suburbs, the more economically/socially conservative they become (usually these are the 3rd and 4th generation Hispanics who mainly live here).

As of right now, most Hispanics live in urban areas and rural areas.  However, the suburban vote is growing and at no small pace either.

It will be interesting to see how this dynamic develops in Texas and whether it develops anywhere else in the country.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 09:54:26 PM »

In general, yes, although not all Hispanics are populist of course - it varies by ethnic group, income, etc. to some extent. Here in NM I would say there are a lot of Hispanic populists, with 2nd place held by liberals, although there are conservative and libertarian Hispanics as well. I can tell this as I drive along South Broadway to and from work, through one of the deep red Hispanic areas, with definite signs of the lower middle class and working poor, and just as definite signs of deep religiosity - where else where you will find so many Biblical quotations and 'Jesus saves' messages painted on buildings? Wink
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 09:58:20 PM »

yes. I don't care about their politics though, I just like their women. We need a lot more Hispanic immigrants for that reason alone, although only ones that are young and haven't had kids. They don't look so good after that. Typically in fact they are either extremely hot or extremely ugly.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 10:04:57 PM »

yes. I don't care about their politics though, I just like their women. We need a lot more Hispanic immigrants for that reason alone, although only ones that are young and haven't had kids. They don't look so good after that. Typically in fact they are either extremely hot or extremely ugly.

Plenty of Hispanic women here. Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 10:15:07 PM »

you don't like them?

Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 10:25:17 PM »

It seems that most recent immigrants are populist.  I know alot of first generation Asian Americans, and while they are some of the biggest supporters of the Democratic Party that I know, they hate our party's social policy.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 10:39:24 PM »

I like them just fine. Wink But I have them here and you don't have them there, thus the Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 10:43:53 PM »

Oh we have them alright. Go to the mall on a weekend and you'd have a tough time not nearing any Spanish. We even get Univision on our cable service now (I LOVE Univision!). Strip clubs have no shortage either. Thank you Green Giant. Smiley
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 10:48:55 PM »

Oh we have them alright. Go to the mall on a weekend and you'd have a tough time not nearing any Spanish. We even get Univision on our cable service now (I LOVE Univision!). Strip clubs have no shortage either. Thank you Green Giant. Smiley

But we have more. Tongue

j/k, enjoy the ones you've got. Wink
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 12:01:12 AM »

by your definition, some are.  most, even.  I think it might be more accurate to say that Latin Americans see a much bigger role for government than do Anglophone Americans, generally.  But be careful, even Mexico finally ended the 71 years of one-party rule when they elected a PAN president, Vicente Fox Quesada.  And I've noticed regional trends there.  The Southern peoples, generally highland and lowland Maya, are very leftist, but people from BC and BCS are much more rightist.  Even centrist by american standards.  Also, the inhabitants of DF are economically centrist, but what you might call socially progressive, even by american standards, and enjoy the occassional blowjob or heroin-needle on prime-time TV, for example.  And that's just examining one country!  You can't say Hugo Chavez or Alfonse Portillo are somehow representative of an entire hemisphere, but I suppose you can make generalizations.  Yes the "center" of places like Spain (nowadays) and those countries where the spaniards left a language and a legacy are generally to our Left.  And a bit more uptight about things like gay marriage (but not necessarily prostitution), so by your definition they might be labelled "populist"
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 12:33:53 AM »

No. The illegals are just leeches on the system. If thats 'populism' then I guess you could say yes.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 12:36:31 AM »

I'm not exactly sure why people here are assuming that by "Hispanics," or even "poor Hispanics," means illegals.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 01:36:16 AM »

Strangely enough, I saw a poll a month or two ago that said something like 60% of the US population doesn't believe in evolution.  Blacks in particular were very anti-evolution.  Hispanics, however, were the only major demographic group where a majority believed in evolution...the difference among races was quite striking and surprising.  I should see if I can dig up the numbers. 

I found that interesting given that many people seem to believe that Hispanic are very socially conservative, but maybe its just shows a difference b/w Catholics and Protestants.  (The Catholic Church basically admitted the truth of evolution a couple years ago.)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 01:48:28 AM »

Strangely enough, I saw a poll a month or two ago that said something like 60% of the US population doesn't believe in evolution.  Blacks in particular were very anti-evolution.  Hispanics, however, were the only major demographic group where a majority believed in evolution...the difference among races was quite striking and surprising.  I should see if I can dig up the numbers. 

I found that interesting given that many people seem to believe that Hispanic are very socially conservative, but maybe its just shows a difference b/w Catholics and Protestants.  (The Catholic Church basically admitted the truth of evolution a couple years ago.)

It depends a lot on the wording. One poll in Europe showed 82% support for evolution.
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/e/ev/evolution_poll.htm

While the numbers in America are still bad, one way that gets a decent amount of people choosing to believe in some sort of evolution is this option:  ""Man has developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life, but God guided this process, including man's creation." Together with the no god option, it has 48%.

http://www.csicop.org/doubtandabout/polling/

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 01:50:50 AM »

I'm not exactly sure why people here are assuming that by "Hispanics," or even "poor Hispanics," means illegals.

Or even people from Mexico; being from Canada, I don't immediately associate some guy who knows Spanish with "Mexican immigrant".
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 10:15:30 AM »

No. The illegals are just leeches on the system. If thats 'populism' then I guess you could say yes.

Hah, if by leeches you mean they mow the lawns, pick the vegatables, cook the fastfood, and do the grunt-work on construction sites, then yes.

Hispanics trend populist but I think they're considerably less socially conservative than the Born Again whites.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 12:01:50 PM »

Hispanics trend populist but I think they're considerably less socially conservative than the Born Again whites.

Seeing as your into generalising things... wrong
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 12:09:05 PM »

Its pretty much your own side who benefits the most from illegals.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 12:30:36 PM »

Seeing as your into generalising things... wrong

it might also be noted that "hispanic" doesn't preclude inclusion in the group referred to as "whites"   I'm a little surprised.  Not at the bigotry, of course, but at the ignorance.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 12:44:14 PM »

that is true. Most American Hispanics are white.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies