Kristol suggests more candidates should get into GOP race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:04:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kristol suggests more candidates should get into GOP race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kristol suggests more candidates should get into GOP race  (Read 785 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2015, 05:01:25 PM »
« edited: August 24, 2015, 05:28:17 PM by Likely Voter »

The state of the GOP race and the fact that no one seems to be able to take the Donald down is making Weekly Standard's Bill Kristol nervous. Here are some missives from his article today...
You must be logged in to read this quote.
So who does he have in mind?
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/october-surprise-gop_1016518.html

While it is crazy talk, I think it shows that even in elite GOP circles, there may be some nervous people worried that maybe the 'deep bench' we have been hearing about for so long isn't deep enough.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »

If anything, the GOP's problem right now is that they have too many candidates.  If Romney, Mitch Daniels, or Paul Ryan jump in, it would become an even bigger train-wreck than before as establishment support becomes even more divided.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 05:26:48 PM »

Sam Alito 2016 would be glorious. He'd have to recuse himself from every case for the next decade after he has to take all the stands he'd need to take to run.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 05:45:10 PM »

When I think of the most successful Governors in recent history, I look to Jeb Bush of Florida, Mitch Daniels of Indiana, and Pete Wilson of California. Of course, one of those, Jeb Bush is already running.

I completely agree that Paul Ryan is an effective leader, I think he has the nation's interests at heart and he is an incredibly smart and talented leader, more so than most of his colleagues I'd say. Ryan's leadership on coming up with ways to reform our entitlement programs should be at the center of the debate. When it comes to fighting for conservative principles, Jim Jordan is steadfast. I also like Tom Cotton, he's a patriot who understands the world we live in.

But, I'd like to see the GOP field smaller, not larger.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 05:56:04 PM »

Kristol is another one who thinks that the problem is the candidates, not the party.

Also, I don't see how this solves the Trump problem.

Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 06:00:07 PM »

Kristol is another one who thinks that the problem is the candidates, not the party.

Yeah, I'm kind of baffled that the response to Trump's success is 'lets throw some more roughly interchangeable establishment suits into the mix!'.

There's nothing that any of those people mentioned could do to stop Trump, all they'd do is further divide the already divided opposition to him.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 06:06:58 PM »

Yeah, I'm kind of baffled that the response to Trump's success is 'lets throw some more roughly interchangeable establishment suits into the mix!'.

There's nothing that any of those people mentioned could do to stop Trump, all they'd do is further divide the already divided opposition to him.

Well to be fair, Kristol is in a bubble. Outside of that bubble, much of the country is a place where "Establishment" and "Elite" are epithets among Republican voters. Republicans/conservatives inside the bubble love the likes of  Mitch Daniels and Paul Ryan, while many of the people Trump appeals to probably haven't even heard of either of those two. Thus, the disconnect.
JonathanSwift
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 06:10:51 PM »

Well to be fair, Kristol is in a bubble. Outside of that bubble, much of the country is a place where "Establishment" and "Elite" are epithets among Republican voters. Republicans/conservatives inside the bubble love the likes of  Mitch Daniels and Paul Ryan, while many of the people Trump appeals to probably haven't even heard of either of those two. Thus, the disconnect.

I'd guess most GOP voters have heard of Mitt Romney's running mate.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 06:13:10 PM »

I'd guess most GOP voters have heard of Mitt Romney's running mate.

I'll give you that one, but Mitch Daniels?
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 06:17:07 PM »

The GOP establishment is completely out of touch with America, one might go as far as to say that they are outright delusional. These are the same people who suffered existential crises when Mitt Romney didn't defy all the polling and win in a landslide.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 06:20:23 PM »

When I think of the most successful Governors in recent history, I look to Jeb Bush of Florida, Mitch Daniels of Indiana, and Pete Wilson of California. Of course, one of those, Jeb Bush is already running.

I completely agree that Paul Ryan is an effective leader, I think he has the nation's interests at heart and he is an incredibly smart and talented leader, more so than most of his colleagues I'd say. Ryan's leadership on coming up with ways to reform our entitlement programs should be at the center of the debate. When it comes to fighting for conservative principles, Jim Jordan is steadfast. I also like Tom Cotton, he's a patriot who understands the world we live in.

Pete Wilson, the great Know-Nothing anti-immigrant, to be clear. Mr. Know Nothing? Mr. Pro-Death?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 06:43:28 PM »

Wait wait wait. Mike Pompeo for president? RIP America... Pompeo is God-awful. He does nothing for his constituents, minus of course the Kochs. He outsourced his business, is a vile racist (read: Raj Goyle 2010), is a dirty campaigner, throws around stupid conspiracies, and tries to take away consumer rights.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 06:43:40 PM »

Even if you subtract those considered establishment out of the equation and add their support to Jeb Bush, he is still in a statistical tie with Trump, it's a problem with Jeb and the establishment, and the Base is fed up.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 07:48:29 PM »

Rubio. Bush. Kasich. Huckabee. Christie.

Four Governors and a Senator. Two from Florida, one from Ohio. Those five men are the ONLY ones I pay attention to during this election.
Bureaucat
Rookie
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 07:53:24 PM »

You might consider Pete Wilson as one of the most successful Governors of recent times, but his reelection bid alienated Hispanic voters to the point that they've never really recovered.
Jacobtm

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 08:01:48 PM »

Republicans finally found a candidate who speaks the truth, gets enthusiasm from their base, and offers a real solution to the immigration and border problem, and their first instinct is to just try to sabotage it.

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 08:06:36 PM »

Sam Alito 2016 would be glorious. He'd have to recuse himself from every case for the next decade after he has to take all the stands he'd need to take to run.

Better yet, Alito could resign from the court to run for president.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 08:09:27 PM »

Better yet, Alito could resign from the court to run for president.

It would be Charles Evans Hughes 2.0 100 years after the original.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 08:15:41 PM »

Where does Kristol come up with this stuff? I bet not even Sam Alito has thought about the possibility of Alito 2016.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 08:42:11 PM »

More candidates would throw the race deeper into chaos
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 09:28:05 PM »

Where did the random Mike Pompeo mention come from?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies