Determining regulations of Constitutional Convention. (FINAL VOTE) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:10:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Determining regulations of Constitutional Convention. (FINAL VOTE) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Determining regulations of Constitutional Convention. (FINAL VOTE)  (Read 7535 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: August 29, 2015, 01:56:07 PM »

This Senate's decision to award Constitutional Convention delegates on the basis of political party membership is an entirely novel and disturbing trend in Atlasian history.  Never have partisan considerations played such a prominent role in reshaping Atlasian society.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 08:57:49 AM »

It's abundantly clear that this, the worst Senate in Atlasian history, should not have a hand in choosing the delegates to such an important convention. It is also astounding that people are arguing that political parties should be excluded from the process because of their ideology - RIP democracy.
I have to echo this - using Griffins seat distribution plan, you could have:

Fed - 36/5.25 = 3.13 * 2 = 6.26 = 6 representatives
Lab - 35/5.25 = 3.04 * 2 = 6.09 = 6 representatives
TPP - 15/5.25 = 1.30 * 2 = 2.61 = 3 representatives
CR - 10/5.25 = 0.87 * 2 = 1.74 = 2 representatives
ANS - 8/5.25 = 0.70 * 2 = 1.39 = 1 representative
DR - 7/5.25 = 0.61 * 2 = 1.22 = 1 representative
NNP - 4/5.25 = 0.35 * 2 = 0.70 = 1 representative

This brings the amount of people represented by a party involved to 78%, up from 65% - without your concern that two parties could bring down the proposals, as only two ANS/NNP members are involved. I should add that I know my party, the NNP, would want to work constructively with the Atlasian Senate to push through changes that would benefit the game.

This is exceedingly disturbing.  You cannot tell me that you are seriously considering apportioning seats by party to a Constitutional Convention.  Are you trying to run the game into the ground?!  What about independents?  What about minor parties?  Atlasia has long had a storied tradition of both.  This is a new constitution... the idea that partisan considerations should or would play a role in constructing a document that is supposed to be independent of and superordinate to day-to-day political considerations is repugnant.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 08:23:41 AM »

Wow, wow, wow, now you're talking about axing elections to determine who serves in the ConCon?!  What?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 01:23:50 PM »

I would like to see a list of reasons why the Senate should be completely excluded from the selection of any delegates, beyond just vague criticisms about it being the worst ever.

The selection of delegates to the Constitutional Convention has always been the unique provenance of the people, as reflected through region-based elections.  The idea that delegates should be selected based on the whims of the elites is a new development.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies