Strip club regulations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:57:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Strip club regulations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Strip club regulations  (Read 2764 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2005, 09:55:59 PM »

I asked in another thread why people care so much about regulations on strip clubs like banning lap dances and the girls from getting naked, and the only answer I got was people don't want them in their residential neighborhoods. However, that is completely a zoning law issue, and it certainly doesn't explain why people in South Dakota are trying to close down a strip club literally in the middle of nowhere.

So as long as the strip club is not near you, why do you care what goes on inside? Can anyone here explain these asinine regulations?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 10:01:03 PM »

I asked in another thread why people care so much about regulations on strip clubs like banning lap dances and the girls from getting naked, and the only answer I got was people don't want them in their residential neighborhoods. However, that is completely a zoning law issue, and it certainly doesn't explain why people in South Dakota are trying to close down a strip club literally in the middle of nowhere.

So as long as the strip club is not near you, why do you care what goes on inside? Can anyone here explain these asinine regulations?

It's simply conservatives imposing their moral values for the sake of imposing their moral values.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 11:48:40 PM »

I do not think people impose moral values for the sake of imposing moral values.  I think if you were king of the world you might abolish capital punishment.  I'd probably applaud you for it.  But others would say you're imposing your moral values for the sake of imposing your moral values.  Of course you'd know that this is utter bullsh**t, or gross oversimplification, at best.  I think you're smart enough to know that people do not impose their moral values for the sake of imposing their moral values.  I do agree that it is an imposition of moral values, but I think that those imposing them feel that the benefits of the imposition outweigh the disadvantages.  They feel that they are right, you could say.  This is the problem with moralism.  Whether that moralism manifests itself in the closing of strip clubs, the imposition of affirmative action, or the institution of socialized medicine, it is still moralism.  But I think you must admit that moralistic impulses, while perhaps misguided, aren't done just to piss the other side off.  But it does make the point that the Libertarians often make, which is that the Constitution does not justify the imposition of any moral values.  I guess what I'm saying is that I hope you remember your crass response when it is one of your moral values being imposed on the rest of us.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 04:16:26 PM »

Ok, we get the picture, you went to a strip club!  Can we get off the subject now?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 04:24:10 PM »

Ok, we get the picture, you went to a strip club!  Can we get off the subject now?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 05:04:59 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2005, 06:06:51 AM by opebo »

I think angus is only partially correct.  While it is possible that part of the motivation for imposing one's subjective preferences on others is that one thinks it will improve the sinners' lives in spite of reducing their freedom.  However the main motivation is a kind of anger or hatred - an emotional response.  Religious and feminists actually hate strip clubs, prostitution, and either the men who patronize or the women who provide such services (or both).  The sources of this response is complicated, ranging from anhedonia, to masochism, through envy and loss of marketability.  But the essential motivation is, like all human motivations, selfish, and it is the will to power.

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 07:45:18 PM »

I don't disagree with your position.  Part of it's what Elazar called political culture, and I give nclib a hard because he comes to it from a position of moralism, but we all come to the same conclusion, which is that these laws are a bad idea.  on the other hand, I generally defer to the principle of local control, and they've decided.  call it republican, or libertarian, or whatever, but it's what Elazar called individualism, and that's my general overlap with you.  somehow you're more in touch with the wasp or yankee or many-generation angloamerican, but it's will of power is what I'd argue needs to be checked.  otherwise you really end up with laissez-faire practical economics.  lots of discontent.  which, in the abstract is okay if they're uninformed serfs.  but we aren't.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 10:43:22 AM »

no, this is a serious beef of mine. I have yet to receive a justification for regulating what goes onside a strip club, only for zoning laws that keep them out of residential neighborhoods. If you don't live next to one, why do you care what happens inside?
MissCatholic

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 10:52:48 AM »

Stripping is like waitressing. men need it, women enjoy it. so whats the problem.

oh yes...man upstairs has some doubts
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 11:07:09 AM »

Stripping is like waitressing. men need it, women enjoy it. so whats the problem.

yes, most people dont' realize the girls actually like their job. It's a pretty good job actually, you have a very easy and flexible work schedule, and getting laid is a piece of cake. Whenever states propose stupid "obscenity" law nonsense that restricts strip clubs, the strippers are some of the first people to complain.
MissCatholic

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 11:12:50 AM »

Plus strippers pay taxes. and they are responsible human bieings oftening trying to pay for their education.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 09:31:18 AM »

not to mention the man next door!

this is why most strip clubs are in stand-alone buildings in shabby neighborhoods.  At least the ones I've visited were mostly in stand-alone buildings.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 12:42:54 PM »

the one here isn't, it has another bar connected to it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies