Candidate likeliest to win in the 2016 Republican nomination? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:42:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Candidate likeliest to win in the 2016 Republican nomination? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you think has the best chance of winning the Republican nomination - 8/25/15
Jeb Bush, former Governor of Florida (1999–2007)

Ben Carson, former Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins Hospital (1984–2013)

Chris Christie, Governor of New Jersey (2010–present)

Ted Cruz, U.S. Senator from Texas (2013–present)

Carly Fiorina, former CEO of Hewlett-Packard (1999–2005)

Jim Gilmore, former Governor of Virginia (1998–2002)

Lindsey Graham, U.S. Senator from South Carolina (2003–present)

Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas (1996–2007)

Bobby Jindal, former Governor of Louisiana (2008–present)

John Kasich, Governor of Ohio (2011–present)

George Pataki, former Governor of New York (1995–2006)

Rand Paul, U.S. Senator from Kentucky (2011–present)

Rick Perry, former Governor of Texas (2000–2015)

Marco Rubio, U.S. Senator from Florida (2011–present)

Rick Santorum, former U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania (1995–2007)

Donald Trump, Chairman of The Trump Organization (1971–present)

Scott Walker, Governor of Wisconsin (2011–present)

(The Wildcard) Mark Everson, former Commissioner of Internal Revenue, former President of the American Red Cross from Mississippi

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Candidate likeliest to win in the 2016 Republican nomination?  (Read 4958 times)
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« on: August 25, 2015, 11:52:45 PM »

You're in denial if still believe the groundswell for Trump is just a passing fancy of an anxious disaffecteds. Trump is leading everywhere, by Clintonesque margins in some polls—he's the legitimate front runner.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 12:23:05 AM »

I still think it'll be Walker. He can raise a ton of money and is liked by both the establishment and tea party voters. Walker was far ahead in Iowa before Donald Trump came out of nowhere to be in the lead, and I truly think likely voters will not vote for Donald Trump in the end despite his popularity now. I think Walker could still pull off an Iowa win, have a decent showing in NH, and ride that momentum to receive the nomination.

If Walker can raise a ton of money, then why hasn't he? The most recent estimate I saw was $26 million, which is peanuts compared to what Bush is raising and less even than Cruz.

Walkers campaign is nosediving and his desperation is bubbling to the surface, hence his full 360 on immigration this week. A savvier pol could turn it around, but Walker isn't ready for prime time and it shows.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 07:39:16 AM »

I still think it'll be Walker. He can raise a ton of money and is liked by both the establishment and tea party voters. Walker was far ahead in Iowa before Donald Trump came out of nowhere to be in the lead, and I truly think likely voters will not vote for Donald Trump in the end despite his popularity now. I think Walker could still pull off an Iowa win, have a decent showing in NH, and ride that momentum to receive the nomination.

If Walker can raise a ton of money, then why hasn't he? The most recent estimate I saw was $26 million, which is peanuts compared to what Bush is raising and less even than Cruz.

Walkers campaign is nosediving and his desperation is bubbling to the surface, hence his full 360 on immigration this week. A savvier pol could turn it around, but Walker isn't ready for prime time and it shows.

1st graf: There are approximately 117 Republican candidates, and a finite amount of cash that donors are willing to fork over. Walker's advantage is that more or less all of the donors are willing to give to him specifically, even if they haven't yet - which you can't say about most of the field. He (and maybe Bush, though tea party donors might hold back) have the maximum fundraising potential, unless Trump can find a way to convert his brand name into liquid cash.

2nd graf: Agreed.

If the big donors were going to coalesce around Walker, wouldn't they have done it in April when he looked like a viable front runner? Now that the bottom has dropped out on his campaign, it's even harder to imagine the big establiahment donors spending the money to keep Walker propped up.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies