Philip Hammond is a moron
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:46:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Philip Hammond is a moron
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Philip Hammond is a moron  (Read 2166 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2015, 06:31:14 AM »

link- the Gaurdian
You must be logged in to read this quote.
You mean by actually murdering civilians?  Idiot. 
no sh**t?  Then he finished off with this gem.
indeed.  So apparently, if you're involved in Syria, good or bad, all past and ongoing negative actions must be ignored RIGHT NOW....so we can talk.  'cause Syria!
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 06:38:39 AM »

You are a moron.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 06:41:48 AM »

Kneejerkism isn't as widespread here, you know.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 06:47:53 AM »

Philip Hammond is directing a directionless foreign policy with no hint of strategic vision or even basic interest in its effects, and is abdicating Britain's place on the world stage as a result. Defense policy is being decided by the Exchequer, which means cuts and a woefully under-equipped military--for the first time in decades, the Royal Navy has no aircraft carriers-- now such in a sorry state of affairs that Obama has to beg Cameron to reconsider, while the World Service and the Foreign Office budget are being cut.

The Cameron government has excelled in many other ways, but not foreign and defence policy is not one of them-- it's abysmal. What is not abysmal. however, is their approach to the Iran deal.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 08:04:02 AM »

I agree with you dead0man.... and you Simfan

I cannot believe that the world is IGNORING Iran's behavior- their murderous terrorist actions...... their deeds match their words
It is also one thing for a fringe group to say some thing extreme,but when it comes from the LEADER of the nation- different story!
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 08:05:50 AM »

I agree with you dead0man.... and you Simfan

I cannot believe that the world is IGNORING Iran's behavior- their murderous terrorist actions...... their deeds match their words
It is also one thing for a fringe group to say some thing extreme,but when it comes from the LEADER of the nation- different story!

what? is this a joke post or are you for real?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 08:06:26 AM »

Threads like this explain why I sometimes find it difficult to take Americans seriously.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 08:18:17 AM »

Then perhaps you should not be posting on a board dedicated to AMERICAN politics.... I don't go onto your boards and trash your people....

And I could point to many,many examples of Iran's murderous terrorist actions- as I am sure you can as welll......sponsoring terrorist groups, sponsoring the murder of US troops (and I am sure British troops as well), etc....
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 08:23:06 AM »

If you've forgotten why you put Hilfy on ignore, this thread is a great reminder.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 12:52:46 PM »

Actually he's just ambitious and (like almost all Foreign Secretaries) is just repeating whatever the mandarins at the FCO have briefed him. The idea of an opening to Iran has been an obsession for years - because the country used to be as good as 'ours' and that sort of thing matters to the FCO - and a chance to put things back on track after the unpleasantness of a few years ago was always going to be eagerly seized on.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »

I was of the impression the Foreign Office was rather unpleased with Cameron's overall leadership so far.

But how far does this hankering for "our old stomping ground" go in the Foreign and Civil Service in the FCO? Is there some kind of wistfulness for a Commonwealth-oriented policy? A return to the East of Suez? A desire for a more assertive and engaged policy? Perhaps, even, a conviction that the end of the Empire was, on the whole, a bad thing for the world?

I would have thought they would have been more of an internationalist and Europhile bent, actually. I'm surprised to hear this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 01:09:07 PM »

But how far does this hankering for "our old stomping ground" go in the Foreign and Civil Service in the FCO? Is there some kind of wistfulness for a Commonwealth-oriented policy? A return to the East of Suez? A desire for a more assertive and engaged policy? Perhaps, even, a conviction that the end of the Empire was, on the whole, a bad thing for the world?

No one, not even in the FCO, is that delusional these days.
The Last Northerner

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 02:44:50 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2015, 03:43:51 PM by The Last Northerner »

How is this bad? This is 2015, not 1839 or 1939. He is being realistic about Britain's role in the world and acting like a statesmen, a sensible U-turn from their previous policies.

edit - removed partisan jab Smiley
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 04:54:22 PM »

Philip Hammond is directing a directionless foreign policy with no hint of strategic vision or even basic interest in its effects, and is abdicating Britain's place on the world stage as a result. Defense policy is being decided by the Exchequer, which means cuts and a woefully under-equipped military--for the first time in decades, the Royal Navy has no aircraft carriers-- now such in a sorry state of affairs that Obama has to beg Cameron to reconsider, while the World Service and the Foreign Office budget are being cut.

The Cameron government has excelled in many other ways, but not foreign and defence policy is not one of them-- it's abysmal. What is not abysmal. however, is their approach to the Iran deal.

Oh god, why am I defending not only Cameron but also Hammond who's a weasel of a man but here goes.

The defence cuts started after we blew all our money on Iraq and Afganistan because we literally had to dump millions into getting vehicles t. hat didn't get blown up by IED's. British Foreign Policy was actually saved by the Cold War because we could justify high budgets and live off NATO but our brief flirt with internationalism in the 1990's and 2000's with Blair showed how unpopular and expensive it's been for us.

IIRC we ordered two new carriers in 2009, but we don't have a massive military industrial complex that churns out 10 super carriers. We're a relatively small poor Island that's still paying off our £50 billion bill from Afghanistan.

Cameron's foreign policy is basically a watered down form of Blairism
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 05:36:29 PM »

Yes he is (he's a British Tory after all) but he happens to be right on this issue.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 09:27:22 AM »

I think we're missing the point.  This isn't directly about the Iran deal.  This is about the words this man used.  He said we shouldn't worry about what Iran says, we should worry about what they do....the problem with that is fairly obvious to anybody paying attention.  Especially when he follows that up with a "yeah, they do cause a lot of trouble in the region".  And his reasoning for ignoring the terrorism and destabilization is because they're helping in Syria by fighting ISIS, completely ignoring their long term and extensive support of Assad.  Sure, ISIS is worse than Assad, in the same way that eating dirt is better than eating sh**t.

So, again, not about the deal, about the reasoning being stupid.  Of course you'll want to defend it if your reasoning is the same as his....doesn't make it not stupid reasoning.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2015, 10:19:43 AM »

But that's the standard FCO view of how the World operates dead0man. It isn't Hammond specific.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 03:00:19 PM »

Al-Assad would not be a problem if he was on "our side".
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 03:46:23 PM »

He is slaughtering his own people, so of course he would.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 07:53:45 PM »

Although the Bahriani regime doing the same wasn't considered a "problem".
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 02:30:09 AM »

Although the Bahraini regime doing the same wasn't considered a "problem".

There is a clear difference in scale. Assad would be well over the line Western great powers can tolerate in the post-Cold War era.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 04:32:19 PM »

The defence cuts started after we blew all our money on Iraq and Afganistan

Actually the defence cuts really started after the Cold War ended as the "existential threat" disappeared... although they've been going on progressively since the war.

This is not something I have said. Please do not make fake quotes.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 04:20:34 AM »

The defence cuts started after we blew all our money on Iraq and Afganistan

Actually the defence cuts really started after the Cold War ended as the "existential threat" disappeared... although they've been going on progressively since the war.

This is not something I have said. Please do not make fake quotes.

My apologies - bad code on the post.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies