Watch Trump imitate asian negotiators broken english
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:57:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Watch Trump imitate asian negotiators broken english
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Watch Trump imitate asian negotiators broken english  (Read 2870 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 07:52:09 AM »

I thought this would hurt Trump, but I went into my favorite Chinese restaurant today and Trump was on the TV.  One of the proprietors, and older Chinese lady, and her daughter, were watching Trump, and they had big smiles on.  They LOVED him!  Whether they caught what he did last night, I don't know, but they LOVED him.  "He tells it like it is!" said the older lady. 

Why would this be?  One reason is that these folks sunk their own money into a new business, so they identify with Trump, the businessman.  Another is that they see Trump as a guy who's succeeded by doing big things.  A third is that these folks emigrated from China and one reason is that they prefer the freedom of America to the regimentation of China and were able to come over.

Trump is talking to Americans as Americans and urging them to talk back to him as Americans.  It's part of the 1968 Richard Nixon appeal.  This isn't racism or xenophobia, but it's not racist or xenophobic for people to be tired of their government seemingly bogged down in addressing the group-level grievances of every self-defined minority group that perceives it to be a victim of injustice (even if the injustice happened centuries ago).  There's a place for some of that, but there's also a time to insist that people focus on the fact that they are Americans, first. 

Same thing at my work. Went for a beer after work and the hot 20-something year old chick I work with was talking about how Trump sounded great "not being politically correct" during the anchor baby comment. My one co-worker said he is beginning to get "genuinely excited" at the idea of a Trump Presidency.

I have yet to meet one anti-Trump person. Anyone I've heard talk about him doesn't seem to dislike him. Except people on this forum.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »

I thought this would hurt Trump, but I went into my favorite Chinese restaurant today and Trump was on the TV.  One of the proprietors, and older Chinese lady, and her daughter, were watching Trump, and they had big smiles on.  They LOVED him!  Whether they caught what he did last night, I don't know, but they LOVED him.  "He tells it like it is!" said the older lady. 

Why would this be?  One reason is that these folks sunk their own money into a new business, so they identify with Trump, the businessman.  Another is that they see Trump as a guy who's succeeded by doing big things.  A third is that these folks emigrated from China and one reason is that they prefer the freedom of America to the regimentation of China and were able to come over.

Trump is talking to Americans as Americans and urging them to talk back to him as Americans.  It's part of the 1968 Richard Nixon appeal.  This isn't racism or xenophobia, but it's not racist or xenophobic for people to be tired of their government seemingly bogged down in addressing the group-level grievances of every self-defined minority group that perceives it to be a victim of injustice (even if the injustice happened centuries ago).  There's a place for some of that, but there's also a time to insist that people focus on the fact that they are Americans, first. 

Same thing at my work. Went for a beer after work and the hot 20-something year old chick I work with was talking about how Trump sounded great "not being politically correct" during the anchor baby comment. My one co-worker said he is beginning to get "genuinely excited" at the idea of a Trump Presidency.

I have yet to meet one anti-Trump person. Anyone I've heard talk about him doesn't seem to dislike him. Except people on this forum.

Well, you certainly must live in an interesting area. I know one Trump supporter that I'm aware of (who lives clear across the country), and everyone else seems to hate his guts. The last two social get-togethers I went to, "Donald Trump is a total ass" came up as a topic everyone could agree on and contribute to.

This is also not counting the time I was walking through a park and two guys were running around yelling "Trump! Trump!" at the top of their lungs.
Jacobtm

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 02:20:50 PM »

How dare Trump insinuate that foreigners may not speak perfect English.

This is outrageous, everyone knows that foreigners do not have accents and speak perfectly, and certainly never would say "We want deal" as opposed to "We want a deal". Copious second-language acquisition research has shown that this is a mistake that literally has never been made and is certainly not common or typical of people whose first language is not English.

He should drop out for this, without a doubt, and let a true leader like Jeb carry the torch and go on to politely take his loss from Hillary.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 08:26:18 PM »

Well, you certainly must live in an interesting area. I know one Trump supporter that I'm aware of (who lives clear across the country), and everyone else seems to hate his guts. The last two social get-togethers I went to, "Donald Trump is a total ass" came up as a topic everyone could agree on and contribute to.

This is also not counting the time I was walking through a park and two guys were running around yelling "Trump! Trump!" at the top of their lungs.

Betty Friedan didn't understand how Nixon won; after all, no one she knew was voting for him in 1972.   
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2015, 09:16:50 PM »

We need to stop making threads about Trumps' shenanigans. None of them are news anymore.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »

Betty Friedan didn't understand how Nixon won; after all, no one she knew was voting for him in 1972.   

That's exactly the point I was making about your post. Just because you know a bunch of Trump supporters doesn't mean there's a nationwide upwelling of support from all walks of life.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »

That's exactly the point I was making about your post. Just because you know a bunch of Trump supporters doesn't mean there's a nationwide upwelling of support from all walks of life.

Trump's popularity is, unlike McGovern's, supported by polling data. 

This morning, my TV news shows Trump ranting about Hillary's e-mails, stating she sent top secret info to Huma Abadein, who is married to Anthony Weiner, who is "a perv" (Trump's words).  Awesome sauce, eh?

Trump's act will get old.  But it's refreshing, because that was one of my thoughts about Clinton and Abadein.  The crass insults are Trump's way of establishing his outsider bona fides; the insiders' most important rule is to never diss another insider publicly.  Trump doesn't care about this, and neither does his constituency, who aren't impressed with too many insiders.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies