NLRB Ruling Clears Way for Unions in Fast Food Industry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:56:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NLRB Ruling Clears Way for Unions in Fast Food Industry
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NLRB Ruling Clears Way for Unions in Fast Food Industry  (Read 1703 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:26:54 PM »
« edited: August 27, 2015, 07:33:45 PM by Frodo »

Labor Board Says Contractors’ Workers Can Bargain With Parent Company

By NOAM SCHEIBER
AUG. 27, 2015

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 08:12:38 PM »

The NRLB is the example of regulatory capture par excellence .
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 08:36:41 PM »

Perhaps, but it is sort of ludicrous to argue that a company that compels performance of specific tasks of its franchisees somehow has no responsibility concerning the standards of employment at its franchisees.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 04:55:36 AM »

Sweet.  I didn't really like dealing with people when ordering my fast food anyway.  Plus robots will screw up my order a lot less often and put the proper amounts of things on my burger or taco.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 05:44:56 AM »

Well, that means fewer jobs. Even an employer can only spend a dollar once. Congrats, unions, for denying people jobs and stimulating the development of "easy order" technology.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 06:30:12 AM »

Sweet.  I didn't really like dealing with people when ordering my fast food anyway.  Plus robots will screw up my order a lot less often and put the proper amounts of things on my burger or taco.

It'll sound like you're buying drugs.

"I'll have 15 grams of guacamole, please."
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 06:35:52 PM »

It's funny how people on the right foolishly don't realize that mass automation of jobs will probably lead to a universal basic income.

When rightists sing the song of "Oh well robots will replace you then lololol!!1" they are really dancing on the grave of capitalism and wage-labor as we know it. It brings a smile to my face.

If only they knew, if only they knew.

I mean c'mon how short-sighted can you be? They probably have some belief that the market will somehow magically hand-wave it.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 04:42:27 AM »

Yeah I have always wondered why anyone would think automation is a bad thing. Automation will only increase productivity and the standard of living of all. If all the work can be done by robots, the people can enjoy their lives doing something they enjoy that may have otherwise been economically impossible instead of wasting time on unfulfilling menial jobs.

I fully supporr automation and I think coupling it with guaranteed income for all is a good idea. I dont think guaranteed income is yet economically feasible, but with technological advancement it will be one day.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 08:32:54 AM »

With this decision - if a contractor deals with more than one company or organization, the contractor may have to pay their employers different wages and benefits depending on who they are working with?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 08:47:33 AM »

Yeah I have always wondered why anyone would think automation is a bad thing. Automation will only increase productivity and the standard of living of all. If all the work can be done by robots, the people can enjoy their lives doing something they enjoy that may have otherwise been economically impossible instead of wasting time on unfulfilling menial jobs.

I fully supporr automation and I think coupling it with guaranteed income for all is a good idea. I dont think guaranteed income is yet economically feasible, but with technological advancement it will be one day.
That's exactly where I'm at.  It will be great when people DON'T have to work.  Some people still can, but maybe for only 20 hours a week to pay for hobbies.  This will be a great day.  Of course those not working will still bitch about those that do (and the other way 'round).
hopper
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 09:17:07 AM »

That's exactly where I'm at.  It will be great when people DON'T have to work.  Some people still can, but maybe for only 20 hours a week to pay for hobbies.  This will be a great day.  Of course those not working will still bitch about those that do (and the other way 'round).
Um you still you need a house and a car so how are you gonna pay for that when you say robots are gonna do all the work? You still need to work to pay for your house, put food on the table, and put gas in your car.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 09:38:02 AM »

Um you still you need a house and a car so how are you gonna pay for that when you say robots are gonna do all the work? You still need to work to pay for your house, put food on the table, and put gas in your car.

That's exactly where I'm at.  It will be great when people DON'T have to work.  Some people still can, but maybe for only 20 hours a week to pay for hobbies.  This will be a great day.  Of course those not working will still bitch about those that do (and the other way 'round).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2015, 03:55:02 PM by MaxQue »

Basic income for all will happen with that. There is no way there could be a stable government without it at 50% unemployment.

It's either that or a shorter working week (this will reduce the numbers of hours needed, so 40 hours/week might become 35 or 30 with automatization).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies