Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:50:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: .
FM

HM

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia  (Read 1253 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2015, 12:40:48 PM »

For reference

http://wkrn.com/2015/08/27/ut-knoxville-encourages-students-to-use-gender-neutral-pronouns/
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 12:42:12 PM »

HM (and NM - nutty measures).
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 12:44:30 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Im just so confused about how not to offend people at this point that I think not talking to anyone is the best course for the human race at this point.

I think as a society we have been so sheltered from the evil that still exists in our world that we use a lot of our collective activist energy on absurd things like this. perhaps this director would be much more effective in reversing or repealing the homophobic laws that exits around the world. You know...the places where you get killed if you're gay rather than worrying about 'micro-agressions' and regulating the speech of inebriated college students in a relatively accepting nation.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 01:24:22 PM »

We should be thankful it's not mandated....though I suspect (and hope) that that would make students leave their in droves.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 01:31:57 PM »

Its so cute how libs think that changing words is going to somehow change how society views gender
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 02:43:53 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2015, 02:56:21 PM by bagelman »

It's dumb. Liberal airheads like this are too cowardly and egotistical to change the world where it matters, instead they want us to be uniform to make sure nobody offends anybody. Transgender people can just use the pronoun with the gender they identify with, and "non-binary" people can use whatever term they want for themselves as long as I don't become a bigot if I don't want to memorize  a third set of pronouns for one person.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 04:02:44 PM »

Bedstuy puts it best with CLER...campus leftwing emotional rhetoric...I add "gone insane" to make it CLERGI.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 04:25:38 PM »

FM obviously.  Whoever opposes this should send zemself to the reeducation camp.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 04:39:09 PM »

think it's a bit silly that they're not just using "they/them/their/etc"

but obviously there's nothing wrong with encouraging students to think about their pronouns
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 04:59:46 PM »

I don't really have a problem with encouraging people to use gender-neutral language, but the gender neutral pronouns here are cringeworthy and there is really no way someone could convince me to say them.

LARPers use less cringey language.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 05:06:20 PM »

As is so often the case, Marokai has it about right.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 05:28:21 PM »

Its so cute how libs think that changing words is going to somehow change how society views gender

You mind if I sig that?

Also, HM. I am so glad that the university I attend doesn't push it nearly as much as a northern university would.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 09:51:50 PM »

Ridiculous, Dumb, Fking retarded feminist sh*t
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 09:56:27 PM »

No one is going to unironically do this.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »

About as horrible as the training seminars where they encourage us to practice 'mindfulness' and other such neopagan practices. Thankfully, no one actually cares and instead views the conversation as an hour they could have been doing something else.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 10:11:48 PM »

I don't think the example provided is that bad, only raising awareness of other pronouns, but in general... yes, extreme sensitivity measures are overkill.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 11:21:42 PM »

Horrible measures.  What's interesting is how narrow the support for such things seems to be.  It's like these professors and administrators are living on another planet, when it seems even in most liberal publications and forums these practices are derieded. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 11:49:26 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2015, 11:51:38 PM by shua »

These students are going to be reading a lot of works with gendered language in it so they need to be okay with it in order to have an education that doesn't completely miss the point.  I use "they" a lot of the time, sometimes "he," and occasionally "she" for a hypothetical person of indefinite gender.  Language is flexible and in some ways inherently imprecise.  I am guessing languages where concepts and inanimate objects are assigned gendered forms do not have this obsession with pc pronouns, as they recognize there is some arbitrariness involved?

About as horrible as the training seminars where they encourage us to practice 'mindfulness' and other such neopagan practices. Thankfully, no one actually cares and instead views the conversation as an hour they could have been doing something else.

Mindfulness seems like it would be a very helpful skill for dealing with the stress of being a student, and I don't think it need conflict with Christianity.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 03:39:55 AM »

Absolutely horrible. Grateful my old university doesn't do this practice (yet).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 04:07:29 AM »

What's wrong with using "they"?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 04:48:07 AM »

HMs (not the PC police or a SJW)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 05:07:22 AM »

Also, if someone accidentally misgenders a person, I really don't think that's a problem. Misunderstandings happen. Just get corrected, apologize, accept it, and move on. It's not like an innocent misunderstanding is traumatizing.

Even so I really don't think the solution is to basically just start making up Klingon words for transgender people.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 06:27:37 AM »

While I do make some use of the Spivak pronoun set (third person plurals minus the starting th) in some writing, I think using anything other than third person plurals in the singular as a general use method for dealing with the lack of neuter singular in English is loony. At least the Spivak set has the advantage of some of them (especially em) already having some colloquial use, tho not for gender neutral purposes.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2015, 07:16:07 AM »

This is not unprecedented and yes it does become part of societal change. When I was growing up there was a big deal placed on whether a woman was married, much more so than whether a man was married. We were taught specific uses of the Miss vs. Mrs title. Ms had been a variant in use, but it wasn't until the early '70's that it was pushed by feminists to equalize the view of marital status. By the time I was in college in the late 70's they encouraged the use of Ms instead of Miss or Mrs. Now the use of Ms is widespread and preferred by many style guides, and society is less concerned about the marital status of women than in 1970. I can't say that the word use caused the change, but both changes did happen.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2015, 11:33:38 AM »

Mindfulness seems like it would be a very helpful skill for dealing with the stress of being a student, and I don't think it need conflict with Christianity.

I was being a little hyperbolic in calling it neopagan perhaps, but, using Wikipedia's definition of it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There is definitely some tension here with the Christian understandings of reflection, examination of conscience, and prayer in general. I don't think the university is trying to make everyone Buddhist, rather to brainwash us all into "non-judgmentalism" of whichever variety is fashionable of late.

Also, what is academia doing putting Buddhist practices into secular seminars?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies