Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:02:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: .
FM

HM

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia  (Read 1254 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2015, 11:42:29 AM »

It's nice we don't call black people ns, negroes or coloureds anymore, and was mindful of what they wanted to be called despite people growling over have to learn 'appropriate language'. It's nice we don't call gays fags for the same reason. It's nice we don't call people with Down's Syndrome, mongs or mongoloids and hopefully America will catch up on not using 'spastic' and 'retarded' as much as they currently do.

Having said that, the suggested gender neutral pronouns are ham fisted, but maybe you should be asking people what they want to be called, before you start calling them? It only takes a few seconds. I'm sure you can all spare it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2015, 11:58:49 AM »

About as horrible as the training seminars where they encourage us to practice 'mindfulness' and other such neopagan practices. Thankfully, no one actually cares and instead views the conversation as an hour they could have been doing something else.

Mindfulness seems like it would be a very helpful skill for dealing with the stress of being a student, and I don't think it need conflict with Christianity.

I was being a little hyperbolic in calling it neopagan perhaps, but, using Wikipedia's definition of it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There is definitely some tension here with the Christian understandings of reflection, examination of conscience, and prayer in general. I don't think the university is trying to make everyone Buddhist, rather to brainwash us all into "non-judgmentalism" of whichever variety is fashionable of late.

Also, what is academia doing putting Buddhist practices into secular seminars?

I'm not sure of any specific foundation in it, but my freshman year, my Jesuit university had posters up about "mindfulness" with pictures of Ignatius behind the word. Does this mean I can entirely disregard the school's attempts at trying to make me a good person?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2015, 12:11:02 PM »

It's nice we don't call black people ns, negroes or coloureds anymore, and was mindful of what they wanted to be called despite people growling over have to learn 'appropriate language'. It's nice we don't call gays fags for the same reason. It's nice we don't call people with Down's Syndrome, mongs or mongoloids and hopefully America will catch up on not using 'spastic' and 'retarded' as much as they currently do.

Having said that, the suggested gender neutral pronouns are ham fisted, but maybe you should be asking people what they want to be called, before you start calling them? It only takes a few seconds. I'm sure you can all spare it.

If someone asked me if it was OK to refer to me with masculine pronouns I'd be at least slightly weirded out. And would probably answer something like "uh....OK, yeah"
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2015, 12:21:01 PM »

Having been subjected to something like this, tho not so hamfisted as this, when I was a TA back in grad school, the motivation to encourage the use of gender neutral language is not for when speaking to or of specific people. Not even the most ardent of gender neutral advocates would say something like "When Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State, zir worst mistake was using a private email server." Rather gender neutral language advocacy is about avoiding language like "I will be a swift witness against the wage earner in his wages." lest someone might get the impression that the speaker was referring to just male workers.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2015, 12:42:58 PM »

Having been subjected to something like this, tho not so hamfisted as this, when I was a TA back in grad school, the motivation to encourage the use of gender neutral language is not for when speaking to or of specific people. Not even the most ardent of gender neutral advocates would say something like "When Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State, zir worst mistake was using a private email server." Rather gender neutral language advocacy is about avoiding language like "I will be a swift witness against the wage earner in his wages." lest someone might get the impression that the speaker was referring to just male workers.

Save us from very long jokes with very bad punchlines. Ernesta Wink
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2015, 02:02:07 PM »

About as horrible as the training seminars where they encourage us to practice 'mindfulness' and other such neopagan practices. Thankfully, no one actually cares and instead views the conversation as an hour they could have been doing something else.

Mindfulness seems like it would be a very helpful skill for dealing with the stress of being a student, and I don't think it need conflict with Christianity.

I was being a little hyperbolic in calling it neopagan perhaps, but, using Wikipedia's definition of it:

There is definitely some tension here with the Christian understandings of reflection, examination of conscience, and prayer in general. I don't think the university is trying to make everyone Buddhist, rather to brainwash us all into "non-judgmentalism" of whichever variety is fashionable of late.

I'm not sure of any specific foundation in it, but my freshman year, my Jesuit university had posters up about "mindfulness" with pictures of Ignatius behind the word. Does this mean I can entirely disregard the school's attempts at trying to make me a good person?

No, but you can disregard "mindfulness".
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2015, 02:20:35 PM »

^ this is what proper and positive political correctness is, though I dislike the term "PC" because of how it's been mutated. Not being an asshole to other people about things they can't control doesn't make you politically correct, it makes you not be an asshole. Not saying things that are intentionally demeaning or offensive, etc.

This nonsense on campuses now where discussions about rape or somebody voicing politics you disagree with as being "violent" or "aggressive" behavior is not. Tarring and feathering people as "prejudiced" doesn't prevent genuinely offensive discourse, it creates a thought police. It isn't about understanding other people and learning to overcome prejudices, it's being protected from anything that might you might disagree with, ever. Hopefully this trend gets stamped out sooner rather than later in academia.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2015, 02:21:13 PM »

The obsession with language seems a bit too Sapir-Whorf for my taste.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 03:10:05 PM »

It's up to these people to tell us how they wish to be referred to, not us to go 'hi, before I get round to saying what I actually came up to you to say, by what pronoun should I refer to you'?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 03:46:11 PM »

Generally horrible, but this nonsense is self parody / joke level, tbh. These pronouns actually made me laugh and are clear overcompensation for a perceived problem that does't really exist. IMO, if people want to refer to others in androgynous terms, go ahead, but don't expect me to. And if someone directed one of these pronouns to me, I'd think they were drunk or speaking another language.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2015, 06:36:25 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2015, 06:41:46 PM by shua »

It is because it is accepted by mainstream psychology as a way to avoid downward spirals of anxiety.

Sometimes it can be helpful to observe of one's feelings and experiences while suspending judgement, which is not the same thing as never judging anything right or wrong.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 08:13:06 PM »

He, she, and they hare the only three pronouns I will ever call someone. The rest are just patently absurd.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2015, 11:03:04 PM »

Save us from very long jokes with very bad punchlines. Ernesta Wink
Normally when I tell people there is no 'a' in my name, that's not where they've placed it. Some people think it's important to put an a in Ernest, tho I'm not Wilde about the alternate spelling.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies