Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:00:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
FM

HM

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia  (Read 1276 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: August 28, 2015, 10:09:05 PM »

About as horrible as the training seminars where they encourage us to practice 'mindfulness' and other such neopagan practices. Thankfully, no one actually cares and instead views the conversation as an hour they could have been doing something else.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 11:33:38 AM »

About as horrible as the training seminars where they encourage us to practice 'mindfulness' and other such neopagan practices. Thankfully, no one actually cares and instead views the conversation as an hour they could have been doing something else.

Mindfulness seems like it would be a very helpful skill for dealing with the stress of being a student, and I don't think it need conflict with Christianity.

I was being a little hyperbolic in calling it neopagan perhaps, but, using Wikipedia's definition of it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There is definitely some tension here with the Christian understandings of reflection, examination of conscience, and prayer in general. I don't think the university is trying to make everyone Buddhist, rather to brainwash us all into "non-judgmentalism" of whichever variety is fashionable of late.

Also, what is academia doing putting Buddhist practices into secular seminars?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 02:02:07 PM »

Mindfulness seems like it would be a very helpful skill for dealing with the stress of being a student, and I don't think it need conflict with Christianity.

I was being a little hyperbolic in calling it neopagan perhaps, but, using Wikipedia's definition of it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There is definitely some tension here with the Christian understandings of reflection, examination of conscience, and prayer in general. I don't think the university is trying to make everyone Buddhist, rather to brainwash us all into "non-judgmentalism" of whichever variety is fashionable of late.

Also, what is academia doing putting Buddhist practices into secular seminars?

I'm not sure of any specific foundation in it, but my freshman year, my Jesuit university had posters up about "mindfulness" with pictures of Ignatius behind the word. Does this mean I can entirely disregard the school's attempts at trying to make me a good person?

No, but you can disregard "mindfulness".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies