Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:45:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
FM

HM

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Opinion of extreme 'sensitivity' measures taken by academia  (Read 1287 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: August 29, 2015, 06:27:37 AM »

While I do make some use of the Spivak pronoun set (third person plurals minus the starting th) in some writing, I think using anything other than third person plurals in the singular as a general use method for dealing with the lack of neuter singular in English is loony. At least the Spivak set has the advantage of some of them (especially em) already having some colloquial use, tho not for gender neutral purposes.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 12:21:01 PM »

Having said that, the suggested gender neutral pronouns are ham fisted, but maybe you should be asking people what they want to be called, before you start calling them? It only takes a few seconds. I'm sure you can all spare it.
Having been subjected to something like this, tho not so hamfisted as this, when I was a TA back in grad school, the motivation to encourage the use of gender neutral language is not for when speaking to or of specific people. Not even the most ardent of gender neutral advocates would say something like "When Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State, zir worst mistake was using a private email server." Rather gender neutral language advocacy is about avoiding language like "I will be a swift witness against the wage earner in his wages." lest someone might get the impression that the speaker was referring to just male workers.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 11:03:04 PM »

Save us from very long jokes with very bad punchlines. Ernesta Wink
Normally when I tell people there is no 'a' in my name, that's not where they've placed it. Some people think it's important to put an a in Ernest, tho I'm not Wilde about the alternate spelling.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies