Which political party is more approving of the following music genre?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:14:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which political party is more approving of the following music genre?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Republicans/Rap

Democrats/Country

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Which political party is more approving of the following music genre?  (Read 2019 times)
James Monroe

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2015, 06:53:11 PM »

With all the music hoopla in this area of the forum, I decided to pair up music genres that are often the anti of their party bases.   With rap its associated with the African-American community, while country music gets stereotyped as being hick music. Which genre gets more support from the political party that are hostile to their target audience?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 07:00:08 PM »

Probably Democrats and country.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »

Democrats and Country, for sure, though there are segments of both parties that are okay with either (Trust Fund College Republicans generally LOVE rap, NPR Liberals probably like strains of old school country, and whatever's left of southern Democrats obviously love country). If we are going to be that simplistic about it, that is.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 07:22:44 PM »

Liberals tend to like country-ish folk music by the likes of Pete Seeger and Woody Allen, and plenty of Democrats from the South and West, white and black, like normal country.  Younger, more secular Republicans tend to like rap, but most do not.  So I would say Democrats and country here.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 07:24:08 PM »

Definitely option 2.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 07:36:36 PM »

Democrats/country

Probably supported by all the Blue Dogs...
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 07:44:30 PM »

There is but one answer

I can't stand rap music, hand signs, and people who talk ghetto-style.

Interestingly, we do hear a lot about how the artists themselves don't really line up by those definitions. I know nothing of rap but didn't Minaj and someone else vote Romney. With country, you have Toby Keith, Tim McGraw, and Brad Paisley as Democrats. Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires on the indie country scene are quite a liberal pair too. I'd imagine Sturgill Simpson and most of the underground country would be even more liberal.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 07:51:44 PM »

I listen to country somewhat often. I rarely ever listen to rap. The "rap artist" I've listened to the most was Epic Rap Battles of History on Youtube. I have to say I don't like "ghetto" talk, but it's not in all rap songs.

However I know more people who like rap than people who like country. Among the young Conservatives I know, more like rap than country, even the social conservatives. I'd guess option 2, although my personal anecdotes don't give me any sort of indication.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 07:52:45 PM »

Democrats and Country, for sure, though there are segments of both parties that are okay with either (Trust Fund College Republicans generally LOVE rap, NPR Liberals probably like strains of old school country, and whatever's left of southern Democrats obviously love country). If we are going to be that simplistic about it, that is.
What interesting about many liberals is how much they despised rap music, despite being rooted in black culture.  Look at sites such as Daily Kos and Democratic Underground, you'll see endlessly complaints about the genre, often misguided and borderline racist. Now you see Republicans such as Marco Rubio enjoying the rap genre, while I bet many Democratic members can't stand  listening to the music, often due to political incorrectness. I bet there might be a shift among white people in the future regarding this dichotomy.

That's what really pisses me off about the politically correct crowd - they just don't get the bigger picture. When rap is politically incorrect, it reflects a hard reality. The truth is, sometimes offensive language is necessary to reveal truth.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 10:52:41 PM »

Liberals tend to like country-ish folk music by the likes of Pete Seeger and Woody Allen, and plenty of Democrats from the South and West, white and black, like normal country.  Younger, more secular Republicans tend to like rap, but most do not.  So I would say Democrats and country here.

Woody Allen plays jazz, but it would be fun to see him do a folk song.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »

Woody Allen plays jazz, but it would be fun to see him do a folk song.

Whoops, I meant Woody Guthrie.  My bad.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 11:45:06 AM »

Democrats/Country, its not even close. Didn't somebody on Fox News say that rap music is a problem in the 'black community'? That says a lot. I haven't seen any liberal points against any type of music. Plus rap listeners have to be overwhelmingly young and urban/suburban. I just can't picture old people listening to rap, and Republicans are disproportionately old and rural.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 11:51:04 AM »

Easily Democrats and country. Most Democrats I know love old country, and are at least vaguely okay with more recent country. They certainly don't say things like "Country music is one of the biggest problems in the white southern rural community."
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 11:56:54 AM »

I haven't seen any liberal points against any type of music.
You should have been alive in the 80s.  Many mainstream people of every political stripe were against music with dirty words.  Lead by Al Gore's ex wife.  "won't someone think of the children" can come from the mouths of a prog just as easily as it can from a neocon.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 02:03:03 PM »

Honestly, as a 19 year old, I've seen people of all political persuasions like or dislike rap.  I'd say the majority of people under 30 like at least some rap music.  The people who hate all of it are generally either conservatives who like country and liberals/moderates who only listen to a certain type of rock music (I'm thinking of the Arctic Monkeys fanbase here).
James Monroe

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 02:56:12 PM »

Honestly, as a 19 year old, I've seen people of all political persuasions like or dislike rap.  I'd say the majority of people under 30 like at least some rap music.  The people who hate all of it are generally either conservatives who like country and liberals/moderates who only listen to a certain type of rock music (I'm thinking of the Arctic Monkeys fanbase here).
Guess what both those crowds have in common? Hint: Look at the makeup of the country crowds and the indie rock crowds.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 03:06:37 PM »

Guess what both those crowds have in common? Hint: Look at the makeup of the country crowds and the indie rock crowds.

Both are overwhelmingly white.  And there is a large overlap between white liberal and hipster.
James Monroe

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 03:09:45 PM »

Both are overwhelmingly white.  And there is a large overlap between white liberal and hipster.
If you asked BRTD about that kind of crowd hell say they are pretty much interchangeable, though I imagine to find some libertarians  who could be described as hipsters.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 05:09:30 PM »

If you asked BRTD about that kind of crowd hell say they are pretty much interchangeable, though I imagine to find some libertarians  who could be described as hipsters.

You're probably right about that.  Though, BRTD seems to overestimate the hipster population especially the "Hipster Christian" population.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 09:40:01 AM »

Honestly, as a 19 year old, I've seen people of all political persuasions like or dislike rap.  I'd say the majority of people under 30 like at least some rap music.  The people who hate all of it are generally either conservatives who like country and liberals/moderates who only listen to a certain type of rock music (I'm thinking of the Arctic Monkeys fanbase here).

Both are overwhelmingly white.  And there is a large overlap between white liberal and hipster.
If you asked BRTD about that kind of crowd hell say they are pretty much interchangeable, though I imagine to find some libertarians  who could be described as hipsters.

You're probably right about that.  Though, BRTD seems to overestimate the hipster population especially the "Hipster Christian" population.

It's because I live in south Minneapolis.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 10:11:16 AM »

I listen to country somewhat often. I rarely ever listen to rap. The "rap artist" I've listened to the most was Epic Rap Battles of History on Youtube. I have to say I don't like "ghetto" talk, but it's not in all rap songs.

However I know more people who like rap than people who like country. Among the young Conservatives I know, more like rap than country, even the social conservatives. I'd guess option 2, although my personal anecdotes don't give me any sort of indication.

Country music is not at all popular in urban areas in Canada. Unless Shania Twain counts, and this is 2002.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 03:03:46 PM »

I like rap beats but I don't like the lyrics. They glorify crime and immoral behavior.

But I love to listen to hip hop instrumentals all the time.

Liberals are less likely to enjoy country music, but I'm sure there are plenty of democrats to listen to country. I don't like country myself but it's not hard to imagine a person enjoying it regardless of their political beliefs.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 08:21:32 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2015, 08:23:08 PM by The Year Summer Ended In July »

Country music is not at all popular in urban areas in Canada. Unless Shania Twain counts, and this is 2002.

What about in places like Winnipeg and Saskatoon?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »

This.  There are a lot of young people who like country (thank you, Taylor Swift.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies