New Southeast Governor's Thread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:33:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  New Southeast Governor's Thread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: New Southeast Governor's Thread!  (Read 9293 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2005, 02:17:01 PM »

Nice website Q. I love the mascot. Nothing better than a hopping ear of corn.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2005, 04:44:53 PM »

As Commissioner of the CFC, I am willing to donate as a little prize FREE SEASON TICKETS to any team in the CFC South (Arkansas Populists, Dallas Ranchers, Florida Voters, Shenandoah Valleys, or Trojan Horses) to the Southeastern Lottery.

That is very generous of you.  Thank you, King.  I will be in touch with you.

On another note, the SELotto now has a (very primitive and unfortunately Geocities-hosted) website: http://www.geocities.com/selottery/

That's a kick ass website dude.
WiseGuy

« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2005, 10:33:33 AM »

Since I have now officially been reelected, as the first act of my second term as Governor, I hereby appoint BrandonH as Lieutenant Governor.
WiseGuy

« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2005, 10:36:11 AM »

The second act of my second term will be to open a GeoCities account for the Southeast.  I'll use the webspace to put up a website to replace the outdated one that Ernest hosted.  I should have it up some time in the next two weeks. 

I'd welcome any input from htmldon or Ernest, or anyone else who might have experience with website building.  I decided to do this because everytime a new Governor is elected, we have to build a new website in order to keep it current.  This way we can just pass the account on to the next administration.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2005, 06:02:08 PM »

If the Southeast desires ad-free web space with unlimited bandwidth, I would be happy to offer it.
WiseGuy

« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2005, 02:58:13 PM »

That's very generous of you.  I actually considered hosting the site on my own server, but thought it would be better to have a website that's user-friendly for future governors who may not know anything about HTML.  This is what we used to have until we got our own domain.  We'll also be able to easily pass on the Yahoo account to each new administration. 
WiseGuy

« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2005, 10:24:01 AM »

My Third act of my Second Term is to propose this Initiative for a vote at the July Referendum:

Expanding Choice Initiative

Section One

The Southeast Lottery Educational Scholarship program shall be expanded to all schools from First Grade through College within the Southeast.

Section Two

The requirement for a B-grade average shall only apply to Scholarships awarded for College and shall be waived for Scholarships awarded for High School and below.

Section Three

All funds appropriated for Education in any state within the Southeast shall be transferred to the Southeast Lottery General Fund.

Section Four

All State taxes collected by any state within the Southeast for the funding of Public School Systems are hereby repealed.

Section Five

Any Scholarship awarded shall be usable at any school within the Southeast or granted as credit toward the purchase of books, supplies, and equipment, etc. for the purpose of Homeschool.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2005, 10:38:16 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2005, 11:01:38 AM by Senator Preston Caldwell »

My Third act of my Second Term is to propose this Initiative for a vote at the July Referendum:

Section One

The Southeast Lottery Educational Scholarship program shall be expanded to all schools from First Grade through College within the Southeast.

Section Two

The requirement for a B-grade average shall only apply to Scholarships awarded for College and shall be waived for Scholarships awarded for High School and below.

Section Three

All funds appropriated for Education in any state within the Southeast shall be transferred to the Southeast Lottery General Fund.

Section Four

All State taxes collected by any state within the Southeast for the funding of Public School Systems are hereby repealed.

Section Five

Any Scholarship awarded shall be usable at any school within the Southeast or granted as credit toward the purchase of books, supplies, and equipment, etc. for the purpose of Homeschool.

What the hell?  A lottery isn't going to fund our whole education system.  And we don't need to be giving out expensive scholarships to kids so they can be an expensive pencil or whatever.  School supplies don't cost that much.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2005, 12:44:44 PM »

Section One

Section Two

Section Three

Section Four

Section Five

WTF?  A lottery isn't going to fund our whole education system.  And we don't need to be giving out expensive scholarships to kids so they can be an expensive pencil or whatever.  School supplies don't cost that much.

I believe what this does is put the money earned from the lottery towards both scholarships and school supplies. The repealing of state school taxes probably means that all school funds will now come out of regional taxes and not state taxes. Mostly to streamline the tax code of the Southeast.
WiseGuy

« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2005, 03:18:40 PM »

First of all, this is really intended to be a school choice program.  If necessary, we could create regional education taxes, but that was not my intention.  With the 10% cap on administrative fees, I thought the Lottery funds and education funds combined would cover the transition from a public school system to a scholarship-driven educational structure, similar to the one being used by the universities in our Region. 
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2005, 04:30:37 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2005, 11:01:59 AM by Senator Preston Caldwell »

Section One

Section Two

Section Three

Section Four

Section Five

What the hell?  A lottery isn't going to fund our whole education system.  And we don't need to be giving out expensive scholarships to kids so they can be an expensive pencil or whatever.  School supplies don't cost that much.

I believe what this does is put the money earned from the lottery towards both scholarships and school supplies. The repealing of state school taxes probably means that all school funds will now come out of regional taxes and not state taxes. Mostly to streamline the tax code of the Southeast.
I've always been a big proponent of regional assumption of state budgets but unfortunately at the moment we have no regional taxes large enough to sustain an education system.
WiseGuy

« Reply #111 on: July 02, 2005, 06:56:02 AM »

Thanks to the short, but constructive, debate we've had over the last few days, I've decided to revise The Expanding Choice Initiative slightly:

Section One

Section Two

Section Three

Section Four

Section Five

Section Six

The Southeast shall also establish a Regional Education Tax to subsidize the Lottery Education Fund.  This tax may only be collected to finance the Student Scholarships and all profits will be added directly to the Southeast Lottery Education Fund.

Section Seven

The amount of the Regional Education Tax shall be determined every fiscal year by dividing the monetary needs of the School System, minus the funds in the Lottery Education Fund, by each Resident of the Southeast.

Section Eight

Section 6 of the lottery Regulations shall be amended to read:
“A Lottery General Fund shall be established. This Fund shall receive monies from the operation of the games run by Lottery Commission as described above. It shall be used to pay the expenses of administering the games, including promotional expenses. No more than 8% of the monies entered into the Lottery General Fund in any fiscal year may be used for administrative expenses. At the end of each fiscal quarter, 92% of the monies in the Lottery General Fund shall be transferred to the Lottery Education Fund.”
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2005, 04:42:46 PM »

If the Southeast desires ad-free web space with unlimited bandwidth, I would be happy to offer it.
I'll take some of that web space, Alcon, if you don't mind.  I was thinking of creating a new website to cover political news for our fantasy government/elections.
WiseGuy

« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2005, 09:37:40 AM »

I've finished the new Southeast website.  Here's the url: www.geocities.com/southeastgov/index.html.  Please tell me if you have any additions, corrections, or suggestions.  Unfortunately, when I uploaded the pages to GeoCities, it replaced all of the characters with weird symbols.  I will continue to work on this as time and conditions allow.

Note to Harry: I didn't mean to sound critical in your bio, but I think that your opposition to the Concealed Carry Initiative was the most notable action you took as Governor in terms of the one that had the most lasting impact on your time in office and how the Southeast citizens will judge your term.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2005, 10:29:32 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2005, 06:28:04 PM by Senator Preston Caldwell »

BrandonH is not the current lt. governor.  StatesRights never resigned and the constitution does not delegate you powers to fire any members of the Southeast Goverment.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2005, 03:42:15 PM »

BrandonH is not the current governor.  StatesRights never resigned and the constitution does not delegate you powers to fire any members of the Southeast Goverment.

Correct, I am the Lt. Gov., not the Governor (or I guess you meant Lt. Gov.)  We had this issue discussed here:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=24458.0
StatesRights did bring anything up like he did last time. We would all know it if he did. StatesRights is free to choose whoever he wants when it is his turn for Governor.

This is why the initiative to elect the Lt. Gov. by the voters has both the full endorsement of Gov. Dubya and myself.

The Southeast is bracing for Hurricane Dennis and hope everyone stays safe.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2005, 04:56:18 PM »

BrandonH is not the current governor.  StatesRights never resigned and the constitution does not delegate you powers to fire any members of the Southeast Goverment.

Correct, I am the Lt. Gov., not the Governor (or I guess you meant Lt. Gov.)  We had this issue discussed here:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=24458.0
StatesRights did bring anything up like he did last time. We would all know it if he did. StatesRights is free to choose whoever he wants when it is his turn for Governor.

This is why the initiative to elect the Lt. Gov. by the voters has both the full endorsement of Gov. Dubya and myself.

The Southeast is bracing for Hurricane Dennis and hope everyone stays safe.

I really think the governor should at least be allowed one personal appointment. I am strongly against electing Lt Governors. I felt I did not actually have to resign my spot as lt gov as a new term would basically bring a new slate.
WiseGuy

« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2005, 05:50:56 PM »

Thanks, Brandon and States.  My sentiments exactly!  States, I somewhat agree with the point you made about electing Lieutenant Governors, but I also think that it would be a good idea, mainly for the reason that it would balance the Government.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2005, 11:51:47 AM »

A question for the Governor or anyone else.

At what point in this present two-month term does StatesRights take over as governor? 

I'm guessing it'll come up fairly soon, but I have no idea when.
WiseGuy

« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2005, 03:52:58 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2005, 03:56:09 PM by Governor Dubya »

I have no idea either.  I guess I'll hand it over to him after the election, since that's when my term actually began.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2005, 04:10:09 PM »

I have no idea either.  I guess I'll hand it over to him after the election, since that's when my term actually began.

I actually looked it up since I was bored.

The halfway point of the term will be roughly (to the hour):

July 23, 2005, at 3:00 PM.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2005, 04:12:41 PM »

Dubya June 23rd-July 23rd
States July 23rd-August 21st
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2005, 06:37:33 PM »

Section Three

Section Six
The Southeast shall also establish a Regional Education Tax to subsidize the Lottery Education Fund.  This tax may only be collected to finance the Student Scholarships and all profits will be added directly to the Southeast Lottery Education Fund.

Section Seven
The amount of the Regional Education Tax shall be determined every fiscal year by dividing the monetary needs of the School System, minus the funds in the Lottery Education Fund, by each Resident of the Southeast.

Section Eight
Section 6 of the lottery Regulations shall be amended to read:
“A Lottery General Fund shall be established. This Fund shall receive monies from the operation of the games run by Lottery Commission as described above. It shall be used to pay the expenses of administering the games, including promotional expenses. No more than 8% of the monies entered into the Lottery General Fund in any fiscal year may be used for administrative expenses. At the end of each fiscal quarter, 92% of the monies in the Lottery General Fund shall be transferred to the Lottery Education Fund.”

As Lottery Commissioner, I feel that I must weigh in on the Governor's proposal.

Based on the findings of the audit I ordered upon taking office, a reduction in the ratio of maximum administrative expense to total funds generated is possible at this time.  A 20% cut in this ratio (from 10% to 8%) is feasible.

In summary, the Lottery Commission is prepared for the changes that would come about as a result of this initiative.

I do have one question, however: On section 7, does that mean that each Southeasterner will have the same economic burden to support the public school system?
WiseGuy

« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2005, 07:19:48 PM »

As Lottery Commissioner, I feel that I must weigh in on the Governor's proposal.

Based on the findings of the audit I ordered upon taking office, a reduction in the ratio of maximum administrative expense to total funds generated is possible at this time. A 20% cut in this ratio (from 10% to 8%) is feasible.

In summary, the Lottery Commission is prepared for the changes that would come about as a result of this initiative.

Thanks for the info, Q.  I was going to ask you to take a look at that, but I kept forgetting or the internet's been out.

I do have one question, however: On section 7, does that mean that each Southeasterner will have the same economic burden to support the public school system?

Yes and No.  They have the same economic burden to support the lottery fund which will be used to fund all schools: Public, Private, and Home School
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2005, 03:27:46 PM »

On the ballot:  I though Htmldon was the Magistrate.  Has he resigned from his position, or did I miss something about that?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies