Atlas Forum: Respond to this Image (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:27:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Atlas Forum: Respond to this Image (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas Forum: Respond to this Image  (Read 2087 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« on: August 30, 2015, 02:23:36 PM »
« edited: August 30, 2015, 02:49:07 PM by SMilo »

Those stats are absolutely meaningless without comparison to other economic recoveries. Once you actually bring up those, this recovery becomes the worst, slowest one in American history.

I actually think the very very weak recoveries abroad is what will cause our next economic downturn.

These were posted in the same thread. Is this real? America has recovered better than anyone because we didn't accept idiotic austerity measures in a deep recession (flat out crushing the Fox Business graphic). This has been a fantastic recovery given the global circumstances, and no one can paint it otherwise. Comparing it to past incidents is very unfair. Unless you want to compare it to how good FDR managed, then please proceed singing the praises of Keynes. The only serious point on the Fox graphic is one that directly contradicts a point in the initial graphic. Have at that what you will. Someone is wrong. The labor market is much improved by most measures though. The last point in Kingpoleon's post is a despicable and baseless qualitative assessment ftr.

Foodstamps are up. That is a good thing. More have access to basic essentials who need it. Home ownership is flat - not everyone needs to own a home. That Clinton and Bush presidencies caused a massive bubble of unqualified owners - Andrew Cuomo being most at fault. We're back around where we should be. Perhaps the is a policy goal we can look towards in the future, but I don't think it is something realistic to accomplish now in the post-recession years - especially combined with all the buzz of urbanisation.

Obama has magnificently guided us through this era in a way everyone else has failed.

Though he deserves no credit on the market indices. Share buybacks are good for the shareholders of course, but they don't indicate much for the health of the greater economy. Otherwise, yes, this presidency has been pretty dang awesome. Absolutely historic.

What happened to all those conservatives begging for energy independence as the center of their platform 5-10 years ago. Lol.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 03:41:38 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2015, 03:44:40 PM by SMilo »

Usually disputing requires facts. I highly doubt you will find a single point to align with your assertion on number three because that's not even intuitively correct. The fact on number two you might find something (I have struggled to), but I found a similar image to OP online, and all the numbers were similar except wages were down 0.8%, so the OP graphic either changed drastically or was falsified. I know Obama has made strides to help lower income salary earners with the overtime rules of late. Not sure if that's taken effect yet, but it could explain the disparity as it would not affect median but would help the average significantly. And it would also explain the large jump since the April numbers I was seeing. Considering the OP uses weekly wages, that could very well be the case for a recent phenomenon to improve that figure. Still, that's a case of both numbers being accurate to determine different measures - not that Fox Business had the wrong number. I searched pretty thoroughly to find something to contradict it to no avail. Intuitively, 2009 median income remained high because why would wages immediately go down, when the only issue was with joblessness. Salaries didn't decline.

But when UE started as high as it is, why would wage growth be expected under his watch? The goal has been to put those who want to work back in work. Hard to do those two simultaneously.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies