Denali !
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:14:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Denali !
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Denali !  (Read 8890 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2015, 08:47:21 PM »

This kind of revisionism out of PC sentiments is generally utter nonsense. I have no reason to assume it's different in this case.

Okay, but why should it remain Mt. McKinley when the majority of Alaskans (including the Natives) want it to be Denali?

Because white tradition ought be preserved, especially when it whitewashes cultures!

"whitewashes cultures"?   please stop, it's excruciating.
Bismarck
Chancellor

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2015, 09:07:14 PM »

Seems reasonable that a mountain in Alaska should have the name that Alaska wants it to. However, McKinley was a better president than you are giving him credit for. His pro-business policies helped turn america into an industrial powerhouse.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2015, 09:11:10 PM »

Now if only Lake Strom Thurmond could be returned to its previous name of Clarks Hill Lake. Unfortunately, unlike Mount McKinley, Lake Strom Thurmond is named by an Act of Congress.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2015, 04:49:37 AM »

Agree 100%, and name it after McKinley I guess.

Anyway, my old congressman has chimed in with furious anger!!! over this extremely important issue:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah I'll bet.  Roll Eyes
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2015, 06:33:09 AM »

Since Denali means "big one", how about this compromise to appease Ohio? Rename the mountain after a different president from Ohio and call it Mount Taft.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2015, 06:36:14 AM »

Since Denali means "big one", how about this compromise to appease Ohio? Rename the mountain after a different president from Ohio and call it Mount Taft.

Why not the Grant One?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2015, 07:06:56 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2015, 07:09:01 AM by DavidB. »

This kind of revisionism out of PC sentiments is generally utter nonsense. I have no reason to assume it's different in this case.

Okay, but why should it remain Mt. McKinley when the majority of Alaskans (including the Natives) want it to be Denali?
Yeah, I agree. I wasn't aware of the fact that most people and most Alaskans actually do use this name. I thought it was more of a "this field in Washington was once called Waka Waka so from now on you're a dumb, insensitive, micro-aggressive racist if you call the state Washington!1!11!" case. However, after having read some more on this, the case does seem to be different to me, because people seem to prefer this name, so it makes sense to officially change it. I agree with this:

If a name doesn't win after having the backing of the government for a 100 years, it is a loser name and doesn't deserve to survive.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2015, 07:35:22 AM »

Yeah, I agree. I wasn't aware of the fact that most people and most Alaskans actually do use this name. I thought it was more of a "this field in Washington was once called Waka Waka so from now on you're a dumb, insensitive, micro-aggressive racist if you call the state Washington!1!11!" case. However, after having read some more on this, the case does seem to be different to me, because people seem to prefer this name, so it makes sense to officially change it. I agree with this:

If a name doesn't win after having the backing of the government for a 100 years, it is a loser name and doesn't deserve to survive.

^^yes this. if white people already call it that too then it's fine

(/s)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2015, 07:38:14 AM »

(/s)
Doesn't really matter what skin color these people have, it's a vast majority of Alaskans. Lol @ the "you're a racist!1!" reflex, the Pavlov of the left.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2015, 07:41:54 AM »

(/s)
Doesn't really matter what skin color these people have, it's a vast majority of Alaskans. Lol @ the "you're a racist!1!" reflex, the Pavlov of the left.

Yes, as stupid as the "This kind of revisionism out of PC sentiments is generally utter nonsense. I have no reason to assume it's different in this case!1!" reflex of one DavidB
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2015, 07:49:05 AM »

(/s)

Yes, as stupid as the "This kind of revisionism out of PC sentiments is generally utter nonsense. I have no reason to assume it's different in this case!1!" reflex of one DavidB
Well, no. That's actually generally true, look for instance at the Tshwane/Pretoria issue.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2015, 09:59:18 AM »

I for one am delighted that after Caitlyn Jenner, Denali has the courage to come out as who she truly is. Truly a momentous step for the transmountinous.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2015, 10:23:01 AM »

Funny how the party that supposedly supports "state's rights" is mad that the feds are finally acknowledging Alaska's name for the mountain. Anti-Obamism trumps coherent ideology once again.

This is hardly a party thing.  Many Alaska Republicans were the ones fighting to change it, including Murkowski, who just praised the President.  It's not exactly shocking that OHIO REPUBLICANS would object to what they see as trying to erase McKinley.

As another poster said, let Alaska do as they wish, but rename something else after McKinley.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »

I refuse to let you people eff with the Great Lakes.

The white tears would be delicious.

I am race warrior, hear me roar.

You're seriously so annoying.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2015, 11:03:20 AM »

ohio should rename the city of cleveland after mckinley obviously
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »

Funny how the party that supposedly supports "state's rights" is mad that the feds are finally acknowledging Alaska's name for the mountain. Anti-Obamism trumps coherent ideology once again.

This is hardly a party thing.  Many Alaska Republicans were the ones fighting to change it, including Murkowski, who just praised the President.  It's not exactly shocking that OHIO REPUBLICANS would object to what they see as trying to erase McKinley.

Huckabee and Trump are from Ohio?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »

Huckabee and Trump are from Ohio?

Ohio Republicans have been the main vocal opposition, and it's not like Ohio's Democrats are singing its praises ... Plus Alaska Republicans support it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2015, 01:56:38 PM »

Let the states decide!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2015, 02:05:01 PM »

I say we revert the mountain back to McKinley, and then change the name of Columbus to Palinsville.  It's only fair.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2015, 03:32:42 PM »

Now if only Lake Strom Thurmond could be returned to its previous name of Clarks Hill Lake. Unfortunately, unlike Mount McKinley, Lake Strom Thurmond is named by an Act of Congress.

That would be quite nice, yes. Grin
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2015, 03:54:00 PM »

Sorry Obama, you don't have the right to change the name of a national landmark. That right belongs to Congress.

PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2015, 04:05:58 PM »

Sorry Obama, you don't have the right to change the name of a national landmark. That right belongs to Congress.

I thought you liked state's rights though.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2015, 04:14:07 PM »

To be fair, I still don't really see why Obama can do this now when Ohio's congressional delegation was able to prevent it before.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2015, 04:26:08 PM »

Sorry Obama, you don't have the right to change the name of a national landmark.

It wasn't Obama who changed the name dickhead. It was the Secretary of the Interior.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2015, 05:14:59 PM »

To be fair, I still don't really see why Obama can do this now when Ohio's congressional delegation was able to prevent it before.

I still don't really see how Ohio's congressional delegation was able to prevent it at all.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies