Denali !
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:18:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Denali !
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Denali !  (Read 8986 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2015, 05:44:55 PM »

To be fair, I still don't really see why Obama can do this now when Ohio's congressional delegation was able to prevent it before.

I still don't really see how Ohio's congressional delegation was able to prevent it at all.

If you read the link I posted, there is an obscure law that mentions that the name of a geographical feature can't be changed by the board responsible for these changes as long there is pending legislation in congress. The Ohio Republicans always had some legislation pending without ever acting on it.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2015, 08:05:05 PM »

Sorry Obama, you don't have the right to change the name of a national landmark. That right belongs to Congress.

Yeah, but Alaska, where the mountain is actually located, actually wants it to change. So what right does Congress have to tell them that they have to accept a different name for their mountain?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2015, 08:16:09 PM »

Funny how the party that supposedly supports "state's rights" is mad that the feds are finally acknowledging Alaska's name for the mountain. Anti-Obamism trumps coherent ideology once again.

This is hardly a party thing.  Many Alaska Republicans were the ones fighting to change it, including Murkowski, who just praised the President.  It's not exactly shocking that OHIO REPUBLICANS would object to what they see as trying to erase McKinley.

I'm talking regular Joes, both here and out there in the nation, not specific politicians. Right-wing media outlets have whipped up a lot of people over this -- people who would normally support states' rights, but this time don't because Obama did it.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2015, 08:53:39 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2015, 08:55:58 PM by Senator Polnut »

Who.
Gives.
A.
F***?

We did the same thing with Indigenous landmarks - Ayers Rock became Uluru, The Devil's Marbles became Karlu Karlu, Mt Olga became Kata Tjuta and in Sydney the area known as the Hungry Mile was renamed Barangaroo. People can still call them whatever they want, but at an official level, that is what they're called.

It's respectful of the existing culture and eventually, people will stop caring.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2015, 09:19:04 PM »

I assure you no one in Ohio actually cares, except apparently our congressional delegation.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2015, 07:38:13 AM »

GOP should shut down the government over this! Under President Trump, it will be renamed Benghazi, so that we may never forget the slain Americans.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2015, 02:12:05 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2015, 02:15:17 PM by Cassius »

Who.
Gives.
A.
F***?

We did the same thing with Indigenous landmarks - Ayers Rock became Uluru, The Devil's Marbles became Karlu Karlu, Mt Olga became Kata Tjuta and in Sydney the area known as the Hungry Mile was renamed Barangaroo. People can still call them whatever they want, but at an official level, that is what they're called.

It's respectful of the existing culture and eventually, people will stop caring.

As we all know, European settlers and their descendants don't have culture.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2015, 10:13:11 PM »

Yeah, white people are basically without culture.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2015, 11:07:12 PM »

"There's no such thing as white culture" he said, posting on the internet bulletin board.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2015, 01:47:18 AM »

Who.
Gives.
A.
F***?

European settlers, that is, white Americans are considered the default culture in the US. For example, Paul Revere is considered a "need to know" part of American history, while Crispus Attucks is not. Yes, there's the coverage of slavery, a bit of Reconstruction (and Frederick Douglass), and Civil Rights, but compare that to the fact that white American historical viewpoints are considered vital to know, while non-white viewpoints are not.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2015, 01:51:59 AM »

"There's no such thing as white culture" he said, posting on the internet bulletin board.

A bland political bulletin board is a pretty good representation of white culture honestly.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2015, 06:23:38 AM »

In English, in September, on a Tuesday.  Though maybe Xahar uses Dhu al-Qi'dah and Monggolbar?  (why yes, I did look that up)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2015, 07:05:14 AM »

Who.
Gives.
A.
F***?

Um, of course they do. But they don't trump the culture that was there first and the culture that places a lot more and deeper importance than "oh, it's so pretty".
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »

And Atlas had yet to discover that thing called culture.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2015, 10:14:54 AM »

It's a nice gesture, of course, but it certainly doesn't even begin to make up for everything else the United States government has done to Indians over the past two centuries of its existence.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2015, 10:32:27 AM »

In English, in September, on a Tuesday.  Though maybe Xahar uses Dhu al-Qi'dah and Monggolbar?  (why yes, I did look that up)

Don't be absurd, I don't use the Islamic calendar for non-liturgical purposes. The month right now is ভাদ্র.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2015, 02:10:53 PM »

Who.
Gives.
A.
F***?

"White" =/= individual cultures of Europe
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2015, 07:02:24 PM »

Who.
Gives.
A.
F***?

Um, of course they do. But they don't trump the culture that was there first and the culture that places a lot more and deeper importance than "oh, it's so pretty".

Why not? There are considerably more of them, and it's a bit silly to boil all of the European place name down to 'oh that's so pretty'. The Hungry Mile is, of course, associated with it's history as a dock, whilst Ayers Rock was named in honour of a five time Premier of South Australia. These aren't just some random names, they have historical significance. Why should they be shunted to second place simply because of relatively small percentage of the population happened to have ancestors living their before the ancestors of the people who renamed (well, in some cases originally named) these places?

Who.
Gives.
A.
F***?

"White" =/= individual cultures of Europe

Um, what exactly are you getting at here? I've never claimed that there was such a thing as 'white culture', I simply made the point that I find it somewhat strange to elevate 'Aboriginal' culture above Anglo-Australian or Irish-Australian culture simply because their ancestors happened to wash u on that continent first.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2015, 09:11:07 PM »

SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2015, 09:28:04 PM »

It's quite ironic that you posted that while you're in Italy of all places...
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2015, 10:50:05 PM »

It's quite ironic that you posted that while you're in Italy of all places...
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/joke
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2015, 11:28:08 PM »

I assure you no one in Ohio actually cares, except apparently our congressional delegation.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2015, 11:34:31 PM »

Sorry Obama, you don't have the right to change the name of a national landmark. That right belongs to Congress.

I thought you liked state's rights though.

I do. I also support the Alaskan government joining forces with congress to take this out of Obama's power grabbing hands.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2015, 12:24:59 AM »

I do. I also support the Alaskan government joining forces with congress to take this out of Obama's power grabbing hands.

The Alaskan governmnt fully supports Obama's action.

You haven't bothered reading any of these linked articles, have you?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2015, 12:51:02 AM »

This post makes no sense.  Do try and keep up.  Alaska, in 1975, changed the name to Denali.  The Feds wanted to as well, but douchenozzles in Ohio played games for the past 40 years.  Obama, FULLY IN HIS RIGHTS, fixed it.  This isn't an overreach of Obama, this is common sense and should have been done a long freaking time ago.  Kneejerk reactions to anything the other side does isn't good.  Sometimes they're right.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies