Denali ! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:42:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Denali ! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Denali !  (Read 9044 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« on: August 30, 2015, 05:00:09 PM »

More proof that Obama hates white people.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 07:12:50 PM »

This sort of thing is the political genius of Barack Obama. He finds a largely meaningless cause that the majority of Americans will support if attention is drawn to it, and then implements it via executive order even though there is some obscure law passed by Congress stating otherwise. It's a great move for him because he's able to get the Republicans to get mad at him for making a popular decision. Plus, no one in their right mind would sue over this. I disagree dramatically with most of what the man stands for, but I must admire just how good he is at what he does!

What law? There was no law naming the mountain. You should read this to get the full backstory.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/31/1417078/-How-one-Ohio-Republican-kept-Alaskans-from-correcting-Denali-s-name-for-decades
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 06:36:14 AM »

Since Denali means "big one", how about this compromise to appease Ohio? Rename the mountain after a different president from Ohio and call it Mount Taft.

Why not the Grant One?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 11:15:49 AM »

Funny how the party that supposedly supports "state's rights" is mad that the feds are finally acknowledging Alaska's name for the mountain. Anti-Obamism trumps coherent ideology once again.

This is hardly a party thing.  Many Alaska Republicans were the ones fighting to change it, including Murkowski, who just praised the President.  It's not exactly shocking that OHIO REPUBLICANS would object to what they see as trying to erase McKinley.

Huckabee and Trump are from Ohio?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 04:26:08 PM »

Sorry Obama, you don't have the right to change the name of a national landmark.

It wasn't Obama who changed the name dickhead. It was the Secretary of the Interior.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 05:44:55 PM »

To be fair, I still don't really see why Obama can do this now when Ohio's congressional delegation was able to prevent it before.

I still don't really see how Ohio's congressional delegation was able to prevent it at all.

If you read the link I posted, there is an obscure law that mentions that the name of a geographical feature can't be changed by the board responsible for these changes as long there is pending legislation in congress. The Ohio Republicans always had some legislation pending without ever acting on it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies