The Dominion of Northeast?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:28:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Dominion of Northeast?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Dominion of Northeast?  (Read 1655 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2015, 04:54:23 PM »

I think it would be very interesting to have a second country in our universe, since playing relations with the Mock Parliament board may be unworkable, both due to mutual hostility and technical reasons.

Understandably, I'm reluctant toward allowing any region to secede, especially the Northeast, which was my first home in Atlasia, but if we don't have any other options, I'd seriously consider supporting this.

And if it comes to that, I propose giving Northeast a Dominion status, the same that was enjoyed in RL by Canada, Australia or New Zealand before the 1931 Statute of Westminster, so we can have a gradual, peaceful transition and maintain links within the same universe.

Discuss.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »

This is an interesting idea. Personally, I'd rather see Atlasia remain united, but if the people of the Northeast are set on greater autonomy this could be a good compromise.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:48:45 AM »
« Edited: September 01, 2015, 06:37:34 PM by Lincoln Republican »

So here we have a candidate who has declared he wants to be President of Atlasia who wants at the same time to drive a stake through the heart of Atlasia by calling for secession.

No wonder Atlasia has almost been killed off, with candidates like this who are calling for secession who want to be President.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 10:52:57 AM »

So her we have a candidate who has declared he wants to be President of Atlasia who wants at the same time to drive a stake through the heart of Atlasia by calling for secession.

No wonder Atlasia has almost been killed off, with candidates like this who are calling for secession who want to be President.
I noticed that Bore voted for Oakvale in the Northeast Governor Special Election when he ran under an independence platform...
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 11:11:29 AM »

So her we have a candidate who has declared he wants to be President of Atlasia who wants at the same time to drive a stake through the heart of Atlasia by calling for secession.

Did you actually read Kalwejt's post, Winfield? He made it pretty clear what his position was:

Understandably, I'm reluctant toward allowing any region to secede, especially the Northeast, which was my first home in Atlasia, but if we don't have any other options, I'd seriously consider supporting this.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »

I oppose secession under any circumstances. I am a Northeasterner, but an Atlasian, first and foremost.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 12:37:33 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2015, 12:39:39 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Did you actually read Kalwejt's post, Winfield? He made it pretty clear what his position was:

Semantics.

He stated clearly that having a second country would be interesting, and that he supports this if there are no other options.

My question is, when Atlasia is struggling for its' very life, why should a candidate for President even be advocating options that would break up Atlasia?  Why should this even be considered as an option, especially from someone who aspires to lead the nation?

Why stop at the Northeast being granted "Dominion" status?  Why not just have the entire nation go their own ways?  

Yes, let's have three nations, or four nations, or five nations.  Why not?

There are OTHER OPTIONS, and those OTHER OPTIONS are fighting for Atlasia, fighting for our survival, fighting for our future, fighting for the future generations of Atlasians who have not yet joined this nation.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 01:05:45 PM »

This is an interesting idea. Personally, I'd rather see Atlasia remain united, but if the people of the Northeast are set on greater autonomy this could be a good compromise.

I hope we can suceed with making some other country playable, just as Griffin proposed.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 01:06:16 PM »

Semantics.

He stated clearly that having a second country would be interesting, and that he supports this if there are no other options.

My question is, when Atlasia is struggling for its' very life, why should a candidate for President even be advocating options that would break up Atlasia?  Why should this even be considered as an option, especially from someone who aspires to lead the nation?

Why stop at the Northeast being granted "Dominion" status?  Why not just have the entire nation go their own ways?  

There are OTHER OPTIONS, and those OTHER OPTIONS are fighting for Atlasia, fighting for our survival, fighting for our future, fighting for the future generations of Atlasians who have not yet joined this nation.

So, in other words, you think we should ignore what Kalwejt actually said and instead listen to the version of his post you plucked from the bizarro world where chickens go swing dancing with eggplants and every idea is taken to its logical extreme.

What my colleague really said is quite simple: in a scenario where there are no other options, dominion status for the Northeast would be better than complete independence. He furthermore had the audacity to speculate that such a situation might not be the end of the world. How terrible! Let's go organize a lynch mob and string him up for spreading such seditious libel!

I'm really growing tired of the attitude quite prevalent here where, if you dare to challenge the majority, you are a traitor. I opposed it when TNF & co. were attacking Leinad for saying that the game wasn't dead and I oppose it now. By all means, debate the merits of this proposal, but resorting to hyperbole and scare tactics is childish and unbecoming of a public servant such as yourself.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »

Indeed, Mr. Kalwejt, you have been fighting to save Atlasia, especially when you had half (more or less)  of the elected officials in Atlasia arrested and imprisoned and when you had half (more or less) of Atlasia blown up in a nuclear holocaust of your making.

You and Mr. Truman are free to call me all the names you like, I don't really care.  I have no plans in running in a popularity contest here.

You want to talk about lynch mobs, Mr. Truman?  I have had first hand experience dealing with lynch mobs here in Atlasia, when a lynch mob of cry babies, including the great patriot Mr. Kalwejt himself, tried to recall me. 

I came roaring back at the very next Northeast election, topped the polls, and won re-election.

And Mr. Kalwejt, when you are ready to run as a candidate for President of Atlasia on a platform of keeping the country united, instead of granting some vague semi autonomous status to part of the country, perhaps you could come back then and run.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 02:38:23 PM »

Indeed, Mr. Kalwejt, you have been fighting to save Atlasia, especially when you had half (more or less)  of the elected officials in Atlasia arrested and imprisoned and when you had half (more or less) of Atlasia blown up in a nuclear holocaust of your making.

You obviously don't understand the concept of Game Moderator.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 03:09:54 PM »

Indeed, Mr. Kalwejt, you have been fighting to save Atlasia, especially when you had half (more or less)  of the elected officials in Atlasia arrested and imprisoned and when you had half (more or less) of Atlasia blown up in a nuclear holocaust of your making.

Well, what I do understand is that you resigned your office over it. 

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 03:59:57 PM »

Well, what I do understand is that you resigned your office over it. 

I've took full responsibility for that particular scenario and how it did play out. It's a common knowledge and I don't see what are you trying to accomplish by beating a dead horse. I was refereeing (which, due to bolding said part, even you can notice) you obviously don't understand the GM doesn't have an authority to "arrest" people. Only the Attorney General and the President have. For example when Al issued arrest warrant against Turkisblau and Ebowed, I merely provided an event stating that the former was captured, while the latter fled. That's what the GM does: he's the game engine. He may, at the very most, create some scenarios for officeholders to deal with.

Also, saying that I've "had half (more or less) of the elected officials in Atlasia arrested and imprisoned" is simply inaccurate. Please check your sources before posting.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 05:31:38 PM »

That's why I said more or less.  Covers my bases.   

And I am pleased to see this thread has provoked some lively discussion.

After all, Mr. Kalwejt, I can't always agree with you.

Smiley
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 09:14:36 PM »

Semantics.

So, in other words, you think we should ignore what Kalwejt actually said and instead listen to the version of his post you plucked from the bizarro world where chickens go swing dancing with eggplants and every idea is taken to its logical extreme.

What my colleague really said is quite simple: in a scenario where there are no other options, dominion status for the Northeast would be better than complete independence. He furthermore had the audacity to speculate that such a situation might not be the end of the world. How terrible! Let's go organize a lynch mob and string him up for spreading such seditious libel!

I'm really growing tired of the attitude quite prevalent here where, if you dare to challenge the majority, you are a traitor. I opposed it when TNF & co. were attacking Leinad for saying that the game wasn't dead and I oppose it now. By all means, debate the merits of this proposal, but resorting to hyperbole and scare tactics is childish and unbecoming of a public servant such as yourself.

Where chickens go swing dancing with eggplants?

Are you on something?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 09:17:35 PM »

Where chickens go swing dancing with eggplants?

Are you on something?

Nah, just feeling sarcastic.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 09:25:07 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2015, 09:27:21 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Are you sure?

Because it reminds me of this

Doo doo doo lookin' out my back door.

There's a giant doing cartwheels, a statue wearin' high heels.
 Look at all the happy creatures dancing on the lawn.
 A dinosaur Victrola list'ning to Buck Owens.

Tambourines and elephants are playing in the band.
 Won't you take a ride on the flyin' spoon?
 Doo doo doo.
 Wond'rous apparition provided by magician

From Lookin' Out My Back Door by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 09:40:38 PM »

So here we have a candidate who has declared he wants to be President of Atlasia who wants at the same time to drive a stake through the heart of Atlasia by calling for secession.

David Cameron called, he wants his fear-mongering secession rhetoric back.

For the record, I basically agree with Kalwejt here. By that I mean what he actually said, not what Winfield says he said.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 07:33:50 AM »

what about an equivalent to the atlasia-canada common market agreement? where atlasians can register to vote from the northeast, people can move freely between the two etc, but it'd still be its own country.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 09:42:32 AM »

David Cameron called, he wants his fear-mongering secession rhetoric back.

For the record, I basically agree with Kalwejt here. By that I mean what he actually said, not what Winfield says he said.

Hey, David Cameron did all right, majority and all.

But to the issue at hand.  You have to look at the big picture, Mr. Governor.

From the article "Dominion" in Wiki:

in the decades afterward, the Dominions each became fully sovereign from the United Kingdom.

In Atlasian time, read in the weeks afterward.

In the weeks afterward, the Dominions each became fully sovereign from the Republic of Atlasia. 
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 10:02:57 AM »

Techinally, the Daily Record did it for him - polling suggests it would've gone Yes otherwise.

In fact, the "Vow" came a day after the UK Government's internal polling showed 53% Yes with four days to go.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 10:14:33 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2015, 10:31:19 AM by Lincoln Republican »

Techinally, the Daily Record did it for him - polling suggests it would've gone Yes otherwise.

In fact, the "Vow" came a day after the UK Government's internal polling showed 53% Yes with four days to go.

What I was referring to when I said majority was that David Cameron and the Conservative Party won a majority of the seats in the U.K. Parliament in the 2015 general election.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 10:39:35 AM »

What I was referring to when I said majority was that David Cameron and the Conservative Party won a majority of the seats in the U.K. Parliament in the 2015 general election.
I took it in a different context. Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 01:20:02 PM »

what about an equivalent to the atlasia-canada common market agreement? where atlasians can register to vote from the northeast, people can move freely between the two etc, but it'd still be its own country.

With own government (not theoretical, but made up by players registered there). Otherwise it doesn't make sense.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2015, 12:25:38 PM »

No.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies