Ben Carson in a Presidential Debate..
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:11:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Ben Carson in a Presidential Debate..
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ben Carson in a Presidential Debate..  (Read 1160 times)
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2015, 11:42:33 PM »

Just had a thought.. if Carson is the nominee, I'm afraid his soft-spoken person would be absolutely shredded apart in a presidential debate. Discuss.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 01:52:26 AM »

Just had a thought.. if Carson is the nominee, I'm afraid his soft-spoken person would be absolutely shredded apart in a presidential debate. Discuss.

Well he could come off as calm and cool while Clinton comes off as the raging "banshee" in comparison.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 01:07:24 PM »

He would get torn apart because he's an idiot, not because he's "soft spoken".
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 01:15:47 PM »

Come on, neurosurgeons are pretty much by definition "not idiots," though some of Carson's statements definitely call his knowledge about various public policy topics into question. 

If Carson is the nominee, he'd almost certainly lose, but perhaps not by as much as some might think (I could see him coming within 5 points or so).  A lot of people would likely appreciate his subdued tone in a debate.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 03:50:06 PM »

In a head to head debate with Clinton, the contrast would not be flattering for Carson. His lack of depth on the issues would be exacerbated by his idiosyncratic delivery—he would look slow and clueless. Then again, he could always study up and deliver. I doubt we'll ever find out though.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »

Come on, neurosurgeons are pretty much by definition "not idiots," though some of Carson's statements definitely call his knowledge about various public policy topics into question. 

Nah, he's an idiot when it comes to his positions.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 08:52:36 PM »

Nah, he's an idiot when it comes to his positions.

It's so astonishing, really.. almost like there is something called an.. oh, what is it.. that's right. An opinion!
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 09:03:49 PM »

This is a guy who has flip flopped on abortion like 5 times and still can't seem to put his position into clear words. Who didn't know the GOP position on gun control before he ran for the GOP nomination. He is a dullard. His ability to cut Siamese twins in half and kill them notwithstanding.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 09:15:42 PM »

This is a guy who has flip flopped on abortion like 5 times and still can't seem to put his position into clear words. Who didn't know the GOP position on gun control before he ran for the GOP nomination. He is a dullard. His ability to cut Siamese twins in half and kill them notwithstanding.

Yeah... this is the same GOP that loves a guy who has changed positions on every major issues because "muh immigration". Carson is in good company.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 09:18:08 PM »

Carson is book-smart, I do not doubt him at all in this regard but I'm not sure he's too good at being put on the spot and thinking on the fly.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 09:55:52 PM »

Carson's not an idiot, but neither was Admiral James Stockdale.  I remember an interview with Rep. Pete Peterson (D-FL) prior to the 1992 Vice Presidential Debate in which they discussed how Admiral Stockdale's upcoming performance.  Peterson, who had been imprisoned with Stockdale as a POW during the Vietnam War, noted that Stockdale was knowledgeable, but he was not used to such a highly politicized environment, and he wondered how Stockdale would react to such a venue.

Stockdale was awkward at times.  He asked a moderator to repeat one question because he had to turn up his hearing aid.  For another question, he gave a brief answer; when asked to elaborate, he stated he was "out of ammunition on that one".  But he came off as sincere, and he wasn't unknowledgeable; he was just a non-politician in an highly political venue.

I sort of see Carson as the new Stockdale.  I mean this as a compliment; Carson is a good man, and an intelligent man.  I don't know what kind of President he'd be, but he's got character and integrity, which puts him light years ahead of much of the field.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies