If Dwight Eisenhower came back from the dead...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:41:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If Dwight Eisenhower came back from the dead...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If Dwight Eisenhower came back from the dead...  (Read 4463 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »

And he saw how today's Republican Party functions and what it stands for, what would he be most surprised about?

Hell, you could put in Nixon for this question too.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 05:55:27 PM »

"A negro is in second place in the Presidential primary!!?"
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 05:57:23 PM »

He'd be a moderate Democrat.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 06:10:17 PM »

It would be interesting to see what other dead presidents would think. I wonder what the repercussions would be of Lyndon Johnson saying that he ''wholeheartedly supports that n**** in the white house''.

ScottieF

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 06:17:31 PM »

Bill Clinton Democrat.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 06:31:51 PM »

He'd probably be surprised that the Democrats are strongest in the West Coast and Northeast while Republicans now control the South.

I wouldn't be surprised if he supported Kasich.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 07:14:12 PM »

He would die again.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 07:23:09 PM »

Ike: "Some of these Republicans seem pretty crazy. So, how's the Republican party in my best state, Vermont, doing these days?"
Me: "Hahaha. Well, only 1 Democrat has ever been elected US Senator from Vermont. He's currently serving."
Ike: "Excellent, can I meet the other Senator?"
Me: "Here's his contact information"
Ike: "OK, I'll talk to him."

Later

Ike: "For some reason we didn't end up talking about the Republican party, but he seems pretty reasonable, and he's running for President. I'm thinking of supporting him."
Me: *LOL*
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 07:39:12 PM »

He would likely be a moderate Dem.  Keep in mind that the Republican base today has largely accepted the New Deal, so it's important not to exaggerate this.  However, he was also impressively aggressive on civil rights in a way history books mostly gloss over.  I have to think he would be disgusted by Trump even by 1950's standards.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 07:59:56 PM »

No, he wouldn't.  He was a moderate Republican until the day he died, and his politics aren't remarkably different in tone than HW.  He'd be a moderate Republican now.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 08:55:02 PM »

No, he wouldn't.  He was a moderate Republican until the day he died, and his politics aren't remarkably different in tone than HW.  He'd be a moderate Republican now.

Thinking that HW has any place in the Republican party now, outside of a relic, is kind of cute .
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 10:11:28 PM »

Thinking that HW has any place in the Republican party now, outside of a relic, is kind of cute .

Uh, he's not dead and hasn't changed to a "moderate Democrat," has he?

This forum SEVERELY overrates how many people would switch parties in today's environment.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 10:16:01 PM »

Ike would be a Democrat because this cycle it's the party of old candidates.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 10:20:13 PM »

He'd be STUNNED at the party's disrespect for veterans...... GO TO HELL TED CRUZ& DONALD TRUMP!!!
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 10:24:46 PM »

Ike: "Some of these Republicans seem pretty crazy. So, how's the Republican party in my best state, Vermont, doing these days?"
Me: "Hahaha. Well, only 1 Democrat has ever been elected US Senator from Vermont. He's currently serving."
Ike: "Excellent, can I meet the other Senator?"
Me: "Here's his contact information"
Ike: "OK, I'll talk to him."

Later

Ike: "For some reason we didn't end up talking about the Republican party, but he seems pretty reasonable, and he's running for President. I'm thinking of supporting him."
Me: *LOL*

"LOL" at suggesting Eisenhower would support Sanders
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 11:33:28 PM »

He'd probably be surprised that people think he fits in with the Democrats. Eisenhower was born in the 19th Century. I don't see him eagerly joining a platform based on federal protection for gays, regulation free abortion, amnesty for illegal immigrants, and economic regulations as expansive as they've grown in the last 55 years. I've never been able to see the logic train that starts with "Eisenhower was a moderate Republican who accepted the post WW2 welfare State and built the highways" to "Eisenhower would be disgusted by the current Republican Party and would clearly be in the party of dying your armpit hair blue to fight 'patriarchy'. It's like some people ACTUALLY think that only the Republicans have become more ideologically intolerable.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 11:46:53 PM »

Social issues alone might make Dwight a Republican regardless.  We do not know what his views on abortion would have been.  Also, someone born in the nineteenth century is rather likely to be a socon.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 06:31:36 AM »

This forum SEVERELY overrates how many people would switch parties in today's environment.

Could he win a GOP primary on the same platform he ran on in 1988 or 1992?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 06:50:23 AM »

Social issues alone might make Dwight a Republican regardless.  We do not know what his views on abortion would have been.  Also, someone born in the nineteenth century is rather likely to be a socon.

Eisenhower was definitely a SoCon, but he was very concerned about population growth in the Third World destroying stability and growth potential and illegitimate children in the US being conceived to get welfare benefits. In the 60s he agreed to co-chair Planned Parenthood Federation with Truman. So pro family planning but based on Conservative views and feeling uneasy about abortion, but not outright against it.

With the population explosion increasing (now also affecting the environment) and the under class culture he feared being a lot stronger than back then I think he would have considered abortion a necessary evil. But in general he was way too conservative for the Democrats. Eisenhoewer was a rational and moderate man, but clearly with Conservative core values. But maybe a little too nuanced in his views for the modern GOP.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 07:20:32 AM »

Eisenhower was conservative.  He would not be a Democrat today, even if he wouldn't be comfortable with the more extreme direction of the modern GOP. 
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 07:21:31 AM »

He'd be a moderate Republican. Most establishment and moderate types would accept him, but people like Ted Cruz would hate his guts.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 09:33:11 AM »

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 11:59:25 AM »

Could he win a Dem primary?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 12:11:12 PM »

Could he win a Dem primary?

Which would he stand a better chance at? Or maybe a better question: does he bear more resemblance to John Kasich or Jim Webb?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 12:12:42 PM »

I believe his daughter is a pragmatic-style Republican, in line with the Kasich/Thune wing of the party, so that might tell you something.

Also,

I've never been able to see the logic train that starts with "Eisenhower was a moderate Republican who accepted the post WW2 welfare State and built the highways" to "Eisenhower would be disgusted by the current Republican Party and would clearly be in the party of dying your armpit hair blue to fight 'patriarchy'.

What exactly do you think Democrats do during their free time?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies