Gun Control - Opinions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:27:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Gun Control - Opinions?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Gun Control - Opinions?  (Read 8442 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2015, 07:15:35 PM »

My Ideas

1. Expand background checks to include mental illness and close the gun show loophole.
2. Prevent domestic abusers and people on the no-fly list from buying guns.
3. Mandate increased training and screening for concealed carry applicants.
4. Ban assault rifles like the 1994 ban did.
5. Implement background checks for ammunition purchases.
6. Invest in smart gun technology.
7. Protect hunting and fishing rights while also implementing commonsense gun control.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2015, 01:01:30 AM »

While there is no magic wand you can wave to make gun violence stop immediately, we can start by banning assault weapons
For (probably) the 30th time, less than 300 Americans were murdered with a rifle last year....ANY rifle.  More Americans were killed with hands. 

So? That's 300 more than necessary.
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2015, 01:19:49 AM »

More people are dying of hunger in our nation and yet the president gives a cold shoulder. Sure he may blab about it in his stupid speeches to Democrats and his liberal base, but nothing has been done.  Many impoverished Americans have lost their lives during the Obama administration and it's not because they don't have healthcare or because they aren't allowed to be in gay marriages.  It's because the private sector is not strong enough to support them.  While things can even be argued to be going well right now for the majority, let's face it hunger is killing more than guns regardless of what the liberal media wants their uninformed and brain dead base under the age of 25 to believe. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2015, 06:58:12 AM »

While there is no magic wand you can wave to make gun violence stop immediately, we can start by banning assault weapons
For (probably) the 30th time, less than 300 Americans were murdered with a rifle last year....ANY rifle.  More Americans were killed with hands. 

So? That's 300 more than necessary.
You want to ban everything that kills 300 Americans a year, or just the scary looking things you don't like that kill 300 Americans a year?

....it doesn't matter, semi-automatic rifles aren't going to be banned, scary looking or not.  The good guys (with guns) won.  And the fact that you guys keep going after semi-automatic rifles shows you've learned nothing and so we will continue to win.
P123

Political Matrix
E: 3.64, S: 3.20

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2016, 02:36:03 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2016, 02:42:37 AM by P123 »

Hello.

My plan is simple, get rid of all Gun Control laws and pass concealed carry laws at the federal level applying to all fifty sates. Legalize all firearms aswell. I am very Pro-Second Amendment.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2016, 03:45:18 PM »

My Ideas

1. Expand background checks to include mental illness and close the gun show loophole.
7. Protect hunting and fishing rights while also implementing commonsense gun control.

1. Do no such thing.
2. They're going to buy a gun if they want to, no matter how many times you say "no".
3. Just another hurdle for law abiding citizens to jump.
4. So criminals can buy an assault rifle illegally, or from another country?
5. Why? So, people who have already passed a background check has to go through another to stock up on ammo for a hunting trip, or shooting range trip.
6. Please explain "smart gun technology."
7. You can't have both.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2016, 05:08:34 PM »

the two main things i'd support are a nationwide gun registry and a nationwide unified licensing system. banning automatic/semiautomatic guns is a waste of time
take your sanity and pragmatism somewhere else young lady
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2016, 05:28:49 PM »

My Ideas

1. Do no such thing.
2. They're going to buy a gun if they want to, no matter how many times you say "no".
5. Why? So, people who have already passed a background check has to go through another to stock up on ammo for a hunting trip, or shooting range trip.
7. You can't have both.

How could you possibly be against #3? If someone wants to walk around strapped, they should at least be trained to use it and not be any sort of (ex)violent criminal. I'm hesitant to mention parts of 2 others, but there are arguments to be had on both sides so I won't bother.

If you don't mind - What types of gun control policy do you support?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2016, 05:39:47 PM »

My Ideas

1. Do no such thing.
7. You can't have both.

How could you possibly be against #3? If someone wants to walk around strapped, they should at least be trained to use it and not be any sort of (ex)violent criminal. I'm hesitant to mention parts of 2 others, but there are arguments to be had on both sides so I won't bother.

If you don't mind - What types of gun control policy do you support?

Because people who like guns are  going to learn how to use them, they don't need government to force them to do more training. (ex)Violent criminals are going to get the gun they want, because they break laws, that's how they become criminals.

I support compromise; in a perfect world, we wouldn't have gun control, but this isn't a perfect world, and we need to get along. I'd be willing to expand background checks if the left doesn't ban weapons.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2016, 05:58:42 PM »

Because people who like guns are  going to learn how to use them, they don't need government to force them to do more training. (ex)Violent criminals are going to get the gun they want, because they break laws, that's how they become criminals.

I support compromise; in a perfect world, we wouldn't have gun control, but this isn't a perfect world, and we need to get along. I'd be willing to expand background checks if the left doesn't ban weapons.

Fair enough. For what it's worth, I don't support banning specific types of guns either (it won't stop, probably not even reduce mass shootings at all).

Banning guns seems like the Democratic party's version of the GOP's social issues. More ideological members of their parties want it bad despite the fact that pushing for it will only hurt them in elections and they probably won't get it anyway. I wish they'd just give it up already.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2016, 11:59:30 PM »

Another mass shooting. 4 deaths and counting.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2016, 10:23:14 AM »

Fair enough. For what it's worth, I don't support banning specific types of guns either (it won't stop, probably not even reduce mass shootings at all).

Banning guns seems like the Democratic party's version of the GOP's social issues. More ideological members of their parties want it bad despite the fact that pushing for it will only hurt them in elections and they probably won't get it anyway. I wish they'd just give it up already.

You seem pretty sane, and very respectful. I wish you the best in your life.
youngohioan216
Rookie
United States

« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2016, 12:00:51 AM »

I have mixed opinions on gun control. DC/Chicago style handgun bans are unconstitutional. Assault rifles should be legal; functionally they are not different from standard rifles and have features that make them safer. Allow concealed carry but businesses have the right to not allow firearms. On the other hand I'm against open carry; to me this is not protected under the Second Amendment any more than yelling fire in a crowded theater is protected by the first. Gun manufacturers should be protected against lawsuits holding them liable for crimes. Close the gun show loophole and require background and psychological checks for all purchases.
James Bond 007
Rookie
United States

« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2016, 12:31:27 AM »

Guns still don't kill as many people as car accidents, cancer, obesity, etc.  I propose a 3-5 day waiting period and not allowing any convicting felons to ever own a gun.  Also, keep it illegal for those under 18 to own a firearm.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2016, 05:41:01 PM »

Guns still don't kill as many people as car accidents, cancer, obesity,etc.  I propose a 3-5 day waiting period and not allowing any convicting felons to ever own a gun.  Also, keep it illegal for those under 18 to own a firearm.

I agree mostly on your substance, but the idea that guns don't kill as many people as other things is pretty ridiculous. When we look at mass shootings we look at the amount of deaths vs. the possible amount and those wounded. Take the example of the Boston Marathon; only 3 people were killed. Then look at the many wounded and the intent of the bomber(s) to kill as many people as they could.

Listen, I consider myself a centrist on the gun control debate, but the argument that guns don't kill as many as car accidents is silly. We need to look at this as the intent not the number of killed.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2016, 07:01:26 AM »

They wont and its no wonder why the blue collar working class folks are leaving them.    Its become the party of Bill De blasio.

Good thing I have 2 AR 15's if Hillary gets elected I can flip one for 3x the price in a few years.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »

I support any form of gun control that works to keep the murder rate down. Unfortunately, I'm not really sure which forms those would be.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2016, 07:04:49 AM »

Mandatory Carry of a Firearm for anybody but a criminal , National Concealed Carry, Simple Background Check and Abolishment of most firearm laws.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2016, 07:17:26 AM »

Mandatory Carry of a Firearm for anybody but a criminal , National Concealed Carry, Simple Background Check and Abolishment of most firearm laws.

Mandatory?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2016, 07:32:54 AM »

Mandatory Carry of a Firearm for anybody but a criminal
that's just silly

I'm very pro gun, but I wouldn't carry even if it was the law.  The hassle far out weighs any potential use.  I'm 42 and I've never been in a position where having a gun would have made the situation better.  But I'm not everybody and I know some people do run into situations where a having a gun would be worth the hassle of having a gun which is why I think people should be allowed to, once properly vetted.
presidentpatriot
United States

« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2016, 10:08:44 AM »

The only real gun control I support is that people need to sit through a motivating weapons safety course on how to properly carry, handle, maintain, and use a weapon.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2016, 12:46:33 PM »

What is somebody doesn't want to carry a firearm?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

But you can't prevent future criminals from carrying this. And carrying a gun will make it all easier for them.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2016, 05:40:56 AM »

Background checking mental illnesses sounds like:

"Stop the AD/HD evil doers from daring to possess a gun!"

Which would basically disqualify all of Atlas. /thread

In all seriousness, I support seventy-two hour background checks preventing criminals, those previously accused of being violent criminals, and severe mental illnesses. This and any other gun control is best handled at the state level, though the first and third sounds good federally, with a minimum of seventy-two hours for background checks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies