Is Obama a Muslim?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:50:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Obama a Muslim?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Is Obama a Muslim?  (Read 3396 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »
« edited: September 02, 2015, 05:08:03 PM by Torie »

54% of likely Pub primary voters think so, and 66% of Trump supporters do. And of course, he was not born in Hawaii either (that birth certificate must have been a forgery, and there has been a massive conspiratorial coverup about it all).  Ever wonder why such a bunch of odd characters are doing so well in the Pub POTUS primary race?  This might give one a clue. They're clueless! Thank you.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »

Well, Trump wouldn't even care, cause he loves the Muslims, and they love him back. He'd be the greatest president for Muslim-Americans than God has ever seen.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »

Here's what I never got about the birther thing: Let's say Obama was born in Kenya instead of Hawaii. He'd still be a US citizen and eligible for the Presidency by virtue of his mother being an American citizen (a la Cruz or George Romney), so what's the big deal?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 12:14:49 PM »

Here's what I never got about the birther thing: Let's say Obama was born in Kenya instead of Hawaii. He'd still be a US citizen and eligible for the Presidency by virtue of his mother being an American citizen (a la Cruz or George Romney), so what's the big deal?

Cuz they are not only ignorant of (or deliberate ignore and maliciously alter) the facts, but the law as well? 
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 12:31:06 PM »

No. He's not much of a Christian either though.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 01:01:22 PM »

And of course, is was not born in Hawaii either (that birth certificate must have been a forgery, and there has been a massive conspiratorial coverup about it all).

The “birther ending” of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie remains the most plausible account of how Obama could have been born in Kenya:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=175586.msg4488323#msg4488323

I should also mention that at least some fraction of the electorate doesn’t realize that Hawaii is part of the United States:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=121901.msg2604008#msg2604008

So some birthers may correctly understand that he was born in Hawaii, but don’t realize that it’s part of the US.

My recollection is that the law is a bit more complicated than that re: children of one American parent born abroad being citizens themselves.  Or at least, it was as of 1961, when Obama was born.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 01:16:43 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2015, 01:24:12 PM by Mr. Morden »

Bushie sired Obama using a time machine?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 01:26:35 PM »

Yes.  That is my fictional explanation, at least.  Though it was Mitt Romney's abused dog Seamus who set it all up, to make sure that Mitt Romney would not ultimately be elected president.

I changed the color of your text to beige, because I didn't want to spoil anyone who hadn't read the story yet.  Highlight the text to reveal the spoilers.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 01:43:33 PM »

Isn't it sad that we even care what religion our President is?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 02:25:55 PM »

It is. What's more insulting to me about people calling Obama a Muslim is not that he isn't, it's the implication that being a Muslim, or anything other than a Christian for that matter, is a bad thing.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 03:10:49 PM »

It is. What's more insulting to me about people calling Obama a Muslim is not that he isn't, it's the implication that being a Muslim, or anything other than a Christian for that matter, is a bad thing.

All of this is so very true,
bobloblaw
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »

No, but he is someone who hates western civilization and disdains American Exceptionalism.

He is Rigoberta Menchu
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »

Yes.  That is my fictional explanation, at least.  Though it was Mitt Romney's abused dog Seamus who set it all up, to make sure that Mitt Romney would not ultimately be elected president.

I changed the color of your text to beige, because I didn't want to spoil anyone who hadn't read the story yet.  Highlight the text to reveal the spoilers.

It's fiction?  Who knew? Smiley
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 03:44:12 PM »

I think he is an agnostic or atheist deep down, personally. So no, he is not a Muslim.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 04:46:58 PM »

He may have been a Muslim as a young child (I think he spent some of his childhood in Indonesia), but obviously not now.

YES. The tea party birther people never understood why people called them bigots. This is why.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 05:20:24 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2015, 05:22:29 PM by ag »

No, but he is someone who hates western civilization and disdains American Exceptionalism.

Considering, that modern Western Civilization disdains American Exceptionalism (and vice versae), at least one of those is, logically, almost a given.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 05:27:19 PM »

That's not quite true. If you're born abroad to one American citizen parent, there's an age and residency requirement. Under the current law, Obama would've been a U.S. citizen at birth, but under the law back in 1961 Obama's mother was slightly too young to have conferred birthright citizenship on him if he had been born in Kenya.

Now the real hardcore birthers don't care whether Obama was born in Hawaii or Kenya because for reasons that are too stupid to go into they think that you need two American citizen parents to be a natural born citizen even if you're clearly a citizen at birth under federal law.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 05:46:41 PM »

Not according to the laws of the time of his birth. She couldn't transfer hers to him due to residency requirements.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 05:51:39 PM »

Doubt it
skoods
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 06:06:43 PM »

Is Donald Trump a tube sock?
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 08:06:48 PM »

No. He's not much of a Christian either though.

This is sort of where I come down on the issue.  I'll take his profession of faith as enough to consider him a brother in Christ, but, in all honesty, I don't know of an instance where his Christian faith would trump (Oooh, I said "trump", lower case!) his political ideology, or, at least, the issue positions he is required to hold to be in good standing with the Democratic Party Establishment.
bobloblaw
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 08:21:40 PM »

Considering, that modern Western Civilization disdains American Exceptionalism (and vice versae), at least one of those is, logically, almost a given.

Modern western civilizations hates itself.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 08:30:57 PM »

Indeed. It's only because they play such a big role--if constitution-abiding libertarian was president, it wouldn't matter if they're Mormon, Muslim, Scientologist, Baptist, Anglican, Rastafarian, Sikh, or whatever. Personal belief shouldn't play a role in governing, but it does due to the fact politicians make the laws they want to see, while they should be making the laws best for everyone to co-exist and make their own choices, provided they don't harm others.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 08:48:43 PM »

Indeed. It's only because they play such a big role--if constitution-abiding libertarian was president, it wouldn't matter if they're Mormon, Muslim, Scientologist, Baptist, Anglican, Rastafarian, Sikh, or whatever. Personal belief shouldn't play a role in governing, but it does due to the fact politicians make the laws they want to see, while they should be making the laws best for everyone to co-exist and make their own choices, provided they don't harm others.

The idea that religion does not, cannot, should not play a role in governing is kind of silly, as we are a religious people.  That does not mean that our elected representatives should mandate theism or church attendance, but one's sincere religious faith ought to be a force in an individual determining right from wrong and acting on it.  It also ought to be a determinant in figuring out what issues are a matter for society to uphold for the sake of the rights of persons, and which issues are on the individual to decide for themselves and for the rest of us to tolerate thatever "it" is.

The idea that religious people somehow forfeit their right to expect their ideas to become public policy because of the role religious motivation played in bringing them to pass is just silly, but the "tolerance for me, but not for thee" secular crowd seems to have embraced this concept.  This, of course, is horse hockey, pure and simple.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 08:57:52 PM »

Not really? I'd want to know if my head of state had been a member of Heaven's Gate.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies