Is Obama a Muslim?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:46:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Obama a Muslim?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Is Obama a Muslim?  (Read 3416 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2015, 11:01:24 AM »

I wouldn't say it's totally off topic, as it originated from a discussion of Obama's religion (the topic of the thread), and Wulfric's insistence that his own criteria define whether or not Obama can self-identify as his own preferred religion.

But it certainly has gone down a rabbit hole, and I'll take the opportunity to pull out now.

Thanks. You knew this was going nowhere right, and now it's all about the Bible more than public policy, and well, thanks again.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2015, 11:04:48 AM »

As opposed, I suppose, to the super pressing question of whether Obama is a Muslim. Sorry to have participated in derailing such a serious thread.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2015, 11:08:23 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2015, 11:16:39 AM by Torie »

As opposed, I suppose, to the super pressing question of whether Obama is a Muslim. Sorry to have participated in derailing such a serious thread.

Touche. But what is serious, and the reason I put it up - in fact the only reason - is the Pub and Trumpite Pub beliefs about the matter, all in the face of clear and convincing, or dispositive, evidence to the contrary. I find that a bit sobering. Don't you?
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2015, 11:13:37 AM »

I find it a bit sobering, but sadly not all that surprising. At some point I think birtherism (which is basically the same phenomenon as believing he's a secret Muslim) became largely a signaling mechanism about disliking Obama and therefore thinking he's illegitimate and therefore supporting theories that purport to show why he's illegitimate. Not that being a Muslim would make somebody disqualified to be President, but among the people who buy into this, it would because "America is a Christian nation".

Basically, it makes me sad, but I don't think it's necessarily indicative of people's willingness to believe something that's provably untrue, because I think these kind of things are operating at a level beyond belief or proof. They're operating as tribal markers. You oppose Obama's policies? Well, I don't think he's even actually the President, so I'm more hardcore than you. That kind of thing.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2015, 12:21:37 PM »

Of course he is....
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2015, 12:50:16 PM »

On the one hand, he practices a fairly liberal and ecumenical version of Protestant Christianity. On the other hand, his middle name is "Hussein."

Moderate Hero says "maybe" to the OP's question.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2015, 03:55:05 PM »

No, but he is someone who hates western civilization and disdains American Exceptionalism.

He is Rigoberta Menchu

No, just no. Obama doesn't hate western civilization or American exceptionalism, there's no evidence pointing to that. Disdaining your particular vision of both things, sure, but no, he doesn't hate America or The West or whatever.

Any evidence for that assertion?
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2015, 03:58:11 PM »

No, but he is someone who hates western civilization and disdains American Exceptionalism.

He is Rigoberta Menchu

No, just no. Obama doesn't hate western civilization or American exceptionalism, there's no evidence pointing to that. Disdaining your particular vision of both things, sure, but no, he doesn't hate America or The West or whatever.

I was being sarcastic.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2015, 03:58:51 PM »

Here's what I never got about the birther thing: Let's say Obama was born in Kenya instead of Hawaii. He'd still be a US citizen and eligible for the Presidency by virtue of his mother being an American citizen (a la Cruz or George Romney), so what's the big deal?
His mother had not lived in the United States for 5 years after the age of 14.

I didn't realize this used to be the case. Thanks.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2015, 08:13:17 PM »

He is Rigoberta Menchu

I was being sarcastic.

My bad. Sarcasm doesn't always translate well over the internet.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2015, 06:54:09 PM »

Here's what I never got about the birther thing: Let's say Obama was born in Kenya instead of Hawaii. He'd still be a US citizen and eligible for the Presidency by virtue of his mother being an American citizen (a la Cruz or George Romney), so what's the big deal?

Not according to the laws of the time of his birth. She couldn't transfer hers to him due to residency requirements.

Considering both of his parents were US citizens, even if he wasn't born in Hawaii, he'd still be a citizen.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2015, 07:44:46 PM »

He is Rigoberta Menchu

He's black, of course. Bobloblaw will surely tell you that only good, god-fearing white Christians can love western civilization (as a result of his subconscious understanding that practically everyone else was objectively harmed by it).

Now we just have to wait for the "...but we gave you refrigerators...Huh" portion of the argument.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2015, 08:56:02 PM »

IDK if this should be in the 2016 Election board...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies