VA-2017: Herring won't run for Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:32:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-2017: Herring won't run for Governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: VA-2017: Herring won't run for Governor  (Read 2770 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2015, 03:38:19 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/gov

Very surprising. Was hoping he'd be the next governor, but also happy that the primary won't happen.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 03:50:41 PM »

Interesting - I thought Herring would probably have a better chance of holding the Governorship. But I like Northam more anywho, so he's my guy for Governor.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 01:53:47 AM »

Northam is the guy who barely tried against E.W. Jackson (still won easily because EW is terrible) and who nearly switched parties several years ago. No thanks.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 11:20:30 AM »

Northam is a good guy personally, which is more than you can say for most VA politicians.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »

Northam is the guy who barely tried against E.W. Jackson (still won easily because EW is terrible) and who nearly switched parties several years ago. No thanks.

He's also described himself as 'fiscally conservative and socially liberal.' Herring was the progressive choice, but oh well.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 11:56:41 AM »

You are unlikely to vote in that election or even to have a big say about who is nominated, don't you? Let Virginians decide))))
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 03:16:20 PM »

You are unlikely to vote in that election or even to have a big say about who is nominated, don't you? Let Virginians decide))))

Oh sure, I don't actually have a vote in the election, but if I did, it wouldn't be for Northam (at least in the primary or convention).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 06:02:07 PM »

Neither do you, so stop trying to force your Moderate Heroism down the voters' throats.  Let Virginians decide!
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 07:46:08 PM »

He's also described himself as 'fiscally conservative and socially liberal.' Herring was the progressive choice, but oh well.
Imo, that's better than the other way around.  Anyway, Herring might well get his turn after Northam.  I think either one would make a fine governor.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 12:02:41 AM »

Neither do you, so stop trying to force your Moderate Heroism down the voters' throats.  Let Virginians decide!

I never expressed any preference in this race, so your accusations are baseless..
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 12:14:13 AM »

Oh sure, I don't actually have a vote in the election, but if I did, it wouldn't be for Northam (at least in the primary or convention).

Sure. And i respect that. Just as i would vote for Northam and expect other to respect that. But neither of us will vote there..
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 11:07:42 AM »

You mean the party insiders?  That is how it works in Virginia.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 11:15:00 AM »

Not necessarily. But in this particular case this 2 politicians already decided who will run in 2017 and who will not. It seems to me they had full right to do so, and were not obliged to ask anyone else about it.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 11:22:51 AM »

Neither do you, so stop trying to force your Moderate Heroism down the voters' throats.  Let Virginians decide!

Simmer down you two. This is nothing but a red Herring. Cheesy
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 12:23:08 PM »

That's a pity.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2015, 12:38:02 PM »

Not necessarily. But in this particular case this 2 politicians already decided who will run in 2017 and who will not. It seems to me they had full right to do so, and were not obliged to ask anyone else about it.

shua is from Virginia, he probably knows more than you do about how Virginia politics work.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2015, 12:52:32 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2015, 01:24:47 AM by smoltchanov »

You mean the party insiders?  That is how it works in Virginia.

shua is from Virginia, he probably knows more than you do about how Virginia politics work.

Well, i know the fact: these two agreed that only one of them will run (and decided - who). So, it makes no sense to weep that it could be other way. It could, but it will not. And what shua wrote doesn't change THAT fact.

P.S. May be - enough? I have as much rights here as you and any other person does. I understand that you don't like my posts, and you have all rights to ignore them. Belive me - i will not be too disappointed in such case.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2015, 09:12:31 AM »

As a Virginian, I'll settle this: I like both Northam and Herring, and it doesn't matter to me which of the two becomes governor -Virginia will be well served by either one.  
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 10:10:42 AM »

As a Virginian, I'll settle this: I like both Northam and Herring, and it doesn't matter to me which of the two becomes governor -Virginia will be well served by either one.  

I absolutely subscribe under that...
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »

Is there a possibility of a competitive primary occurring due to Northam's conservatism? Or is that against the laws of physics in Virginia?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 07:07:20 PM »

Is there a possibility of a competitive primary occurring due to Northam's conservatism? Or is that against the laws of physics in Virginia?

In 2009 Creigh Deeds beat now Governor McCauliffe and one other candidate in the Democratic primary for governor
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 09:13:44 PM »

In 2009 Creigh Deeds beat now Governor McCauliffe and one other candidate in the Democratic primary for governor

Also Northam has toed the party line since the incident 6 years ago, so I think Democrats would give him the benefit of the doubt.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2015, 12:03:50 AM »

I could vote for Northam. I could never vote for Herring.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 01:00:09 AM »
« Edited: September 06, 2015, 06:49:42 AM by smoltchanov »

IMHO - a talk about Northam's  "conservatism" is at least somewhat exaggerated. He is, surely, not a person like  Harry Byrd Sr. (or Jr. for that matter), William Tuck or even David Satterfield Jr. (a dozens more names of "solid" Virginia's conservative Democrats come to mind immediately). In fact there is exactly one Democrat in present Virginia Legislature, who, IMHO, deserves the title "conservative" (and even he - rather moderate conservative): Johnny Joannou, who  lost this year Democratic primary. Virginia now isn't Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi (or, surprisingly,  Alaska), where you can still find more or less "real" Democratic conservatives in legislature. Northam is more of "centrist' type.... Even "somewhat left of center" if state legislator database of Boris Shor is to be believed. Herring is more liberal, of course, but Virginia, while slowly moving left, is, still, rather purple then blue, so Northam candidacy is not something "terrible"..
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 08:08:43 PM »

IMHO - a talk about Northam's  "conservatism" is at least somewhat exaggerated. He is, surely, not a person like  Harry Byrd Sr. (or Jr. for that matter), William Tuck or even David Satterfield Jr. (a dozens more names of "solid" Virginia's conservative Democrats come to mind immediately). In fact there is exactly one Democrat in present Virginia Legislature, who, IMHO, deserves the title "conservative" (and even he - rather moderate conservative): Johnny Joannou, who  lost this year Democratic primary. Virginia now isn't Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi (or, surprisingly,  Alaska), where you can still find more or less "real" Democratic conservatives in legislature. Northam is more of "centrist' type.... Even "somewhat left of center" if state legislator database of Boris Shor is to be believed. Herring is more liberal, of course, but Virginia, while slowly moving left, is, still, rather purple then blue, so Northam candidacy is not something "terrible"..

Well, yes, the Democratic Party is the liberal party.  It would be highly illogical for a conservative to affiliate with it.  What "conservative Democrat" really means in the contemporary context is that the person in question is conservative relative to the Democratic Party as a wholeLiberal and conservative, as used in the United States are very relative terms.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies