Jeb Bush pisses off Stephen Colbert
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:43:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Jeb Bush pisses off Stephen Colbert
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jeb Bush pisses off Stephen Colbert  (Read 1267 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2015, 08:06:50 PM »
« edited: September 02, 2015, 08:12:16 PM by Blue3 »

Jeb Bush was apparently fundraising off his appearance on Colbert's first Late Night show, and Colbert isn't happy about how he tried to do it behind Colbert's back.

How can Jeb be this dense?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 08:40:52 PM »

Apparently, Stephen Colbert is trying to get great ratings for his new show by having Jeb Bush on.

How can Colbert be this opportunistic?
yankeesfan
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 08:43:24 PM »

This seems really silly.  Colbert is an entertainer in the public arena.  People go on his show for publicity and should be able to use that publicity for their own benefit.
yankeesfan
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 08:45:41 PM »

On the other hand, having read a bit more about the issue, Jeb is in the wrong here.  He's asking for donations for the chance to win a VIP slot to the taping.  That's a bit shady.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 08:46:33 PM »

On the other hand, having read a bit more about the issue, Jeb is in the wrong here.  He's asking for donations for the chance to win a VIP slot to the taping.  That's a bit shady.

There are some people who are trying to do everything they can to discredit anyone with the last name Bush. I'm going to put this in the garbage file.
yankeesfan
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 08:53:40 PM »

There are some people who are trying to do everything they can to discredit anyone with the last name Bush. I'm going to put this in the garbage file.

I don't agree with that.  Maybe this is a terrible analogy but I'd liken this situation to Jeb Bush using a song in a campaign ad without approval.  The artist comes forward and tells Jeb to knock it off.  Jeb would be in the wrong there.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 08:59:55 PM »

If I want to discredit Presidential candidates with the last name Bush, I'll just point to a book documenting the first 10 years of the 21st Century.   
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 09:44:45 PM »

On the other hand, having read a bit more about the issue, Jeb is in the wrong here.  He's asking for donations for the chance to win a VIP slot to the taping.  That's a bit shady.

I don't agree with that.  Maybe this is a terrible analogy but I'd liken this situation to Jeb Bush using a song in a campaign ad without approval.  The artist comes forward and tells Jeb to knock it off.  Jeb would be in the wrong there.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://gawker.com/neil-young-to-donald-trump-please-stop-rockin-in-the-f-1711869669

Maybe you do have a point. But Colbert invited Bush on the show.

If I want to discredit Presidential candidates with the last name Bush, I'll just point to a book documenting the first 10 years of the 21st Century.   

How is Baltimore doing in your state under Democrats? Why did Larry Hogan win again?
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 10:02:35 PM »

I was 1 of only 4 people on this site to predict that Hogan would win. So that was no surprise to me. If Baltimore had a Republican mayor I suspect not that much would be different.  But that's not addressing my main point.

When your immediate family already has two Presidents, asking for a 3rd, is kinda pompous.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 10:12:24 PM »

Well the whole point of Jeb Bush appearing was for popularity and funds, obviously. Why else?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 11:09:39 PM »

Well the whole point of Jeb Bush appearing was for popularity and funds, obviously. Why else?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 08:42:58 AM »

I was 1 of only 4 people on this site to predict that Hogan would win. So that was no surprise to me. If Baltimore had a Republican mayor I suspect not that much would be different.  But that's not addressing my main point.

When your immediate family already has two Presidents, asking for a 3rd, is kinda pompous.

You are a smart person, I'm not questioning that. Hogan won because O'Malley was a failure.

I think the presidency is about who is best on the issues and the best qualified for the job. If multiple members from the same family fit the bill, I don't think we are to say no because of a last name.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 08:47:05 AM »

Are people really going to tune in for Jeb Bush? He just seems like a lame guest for the beginnings of a new show, if you want ratings bring Trump.
WVdemocrat
DimpledChad
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 10:25:58 AM »

You are a smart person, I'm not questioning that. Hogan won because O'Malley was a failure.

Bull-f**king-sh*t.

Martin O'Malley legalized gay marriage in Maryland, he passed the Dream Act, he spearheaded efforts to save the Chesapeake Bay. Under his tenure, Maryland had the highest median income rate in the country, Maryland had the best schools 5 years in a row, Maryland was #1 in the country in Innovation and Entrepreneurship (according to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce), and Maryland was listed one of the top three states for upward economic mobility (by Pew Research). Maryland was one of just seven states to maintain its AAA bond rating through the recession (caused by Jeb's brother not to mention).

What the hell did Jeb Bush ever do? Have a father and a brother who were presidents? Force Terry Schiavo to suffer in a persistent vegetative state?
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 11:23:34 AM »

Rolling Stone has a bit of clearer info on this.

Quote from: Restricted

So while, yes, politicians always go on late night programs to raise awareness for their campaigns, they generally don't use them to start unauthorized fundraising 'contests' giving out tickets to said late night programs. This may not sound like a big deal, but it put CBS in the awkward position of having to deny that this was a coordinated tie-in. And as the NY Daily News points out:

Quote from: Restricted

But as the article goes on to say - he's not giving some tickets out to close friends who might give him donations, he's transparently asking for donations in exchange for the possibility of getting a ticket to the show.

It's also worth noting that Stephen Colbert is not some empty-suit, and despite his move away from the Colbert Report, remains quite political in comparison with other late night hosts. So it should be no surprise that he is so public about this obvious attempt to turn a late night appearance into a fundraising opportunity. Colbert has already responded with a tongue-in-cheek contest of his own, here.

In conclusion, let's hope that Jeb!'s appearance on the Late Show is as much of a disaster as it promises to be.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 11:32:33 AM »

Force Terry Schiavo to suffer in a persistent vegetative state?

that's an interesting description.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 11:57:34 AM »

I didn't find Colbert's schtick very amusing myself. He sounds a bit more like an egomaniac than a comedian here:  it's mine, mine, all mine!. Keep your grubby little paws off my VIP seats! Only I can make money off them! Poor Bush is trying to humanize himself as a regular guy by doing this sort of thing. It won't work, Jeb. You are just not a funny man. Your persona is more like an earnest Methodist minister from Indiana actually. You're a decent man, but uninteresting and boring.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies