Opinion of Third Wave Feminism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:53:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of Third Wave Feminism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Opinion of third wave feminism
Freedom Movement

Horrible Movement

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 94

Author Topic: Opinion of Third Wave Feminism  (Read 8513 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2015, 11:40:35 AM »
« edited: November 02, 2015, 11:47:48 AM by 秋と修羅 »

Anyway, I have some objections to what 'third wave feminism' is generally used to mean--'sex-positive', strongly liberal/individualistic, endlessly finicky about its preferred language games, et cetera--but although my own views, at least in terms of my instincts and what I naturally gravitate towards, would probably strike a lot of people as 'first wave' throwbacks, I do think that there are also points worth celebrating in more recent feminism, like the somewhat more trenchant (if sometimes embarrassingly overcorrecting) discussion of race and the fact that femininity as a concept isn't as much of a bête noire as it used to be. I agree with Beatrice's point that the whole 'waves' model is basically a hash.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2015, 09:36:24 PM »

Anyway, I have some objections to what 'third wave feminism' is generally used to mean--'sex-positive', strongly liberal/individualistic, endlessly finicky about its preferred language games, et cetera--but although my own views, at least in terms of my instincts and what I naturally gravitate towards, would probably strike a lot of people as 'first wave' throwbacks, I do think that there are also points worth celebrating in more recent feminism, like the somewhat more trenchant (if sometimes embarrassingly overcorrecting) discussion of race and the fact that femininity as a concept isn't as much of a bête noire as it used to be. I agree with Beatrice's point that the whole 'waves' model is basically a hash.
Ignoring that the "waves" concept is artificial for the moment, what exactly is it in your views that points towards "first wave" feminism and how does that contrast with what came afterwards? Is there some overall incompatibility or is it just a different emphasis on certain ideas and/or a rejection of later goals?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2015, 10:13:23 PM »

Ignoring that the "waves" concept is artificial for the moment, what exactly is it in your views that points towards "first wave" feminism and how does that contrast with what came afterwards? Is there some overall incompatibility or is it just a different emphasis on certain ideas and/or a rejection of later goals?

The latter. I'll get into specifics in a future post if the spirit moves me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies