Opinion of Third Wave Feminism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:48:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of Third Wave Feminism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of third wave feminism
Freedom Movement

Horrible Movement

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 94

Author Topic: Opinion of Third Wave Feminism  (Read 8573 times)
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« on: October 12, 2015, 12:04:09 AM »

Schadenfreude knows what women really want.

To be fair, his point about a lot of women wanting a man who is bread winner/better financially than them is pretty common.

Look at articles like these:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larissafaw/2012/12/05/why-are-so-many-professional-millennial-women-unable-to-find-dateable-men/
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/07/why-college-educated-women-can-t-find-love.html
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-attraction-doctor/201203/why-women-cant-find-good-man
http://www.eharmony.com/dating-advice/dating/why-successful-women-cant-find-a-great-man/#.Vhs_I1UVikp
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 05:05:54 PM »

Saying that people brought up to believe in certain things believe in certain things is not much of an argument.

Not saying there is no merit to that line of reasoning but if you don't even acknowledge the point of the feminists on that you just come off as ignorant.

The way I understand third wave (in opposition to second wave) I'm broadly positive. There are feminists I disagree with of course, but the mainstream is a lot less radical than Atlas misogynists like to believe.

The nature vs nurture debate is not settled between psychologists and biologists, especially in regards to gender. It's difficult to determine if certain gender specific behaviors are driven due to culture, or due to biology.
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 11:34:20 PM »

Because if there are four sources I associate with serious analysis of gender roles, they're Forbes, the Daily Beast, Psychology Today, and eHarmony!

Given the quality of gender studies degrees, I'll take any of those sites over the "high prestige" and intellectual authority of what some feminist gender studies professor thinks.
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 12:21:43 AM »
« Edited: October 24, 2015, 12:26:05 AM by captainkangaroo »

Because if there are four sources I associate with serious analysis of gender roles, they're Forbes, the Daily Beast, Psychology Today, and eHarmony!

Given the quality of gender studies degrees, I'll take any of those sites over the "high prestige" and intellectual authority of what some feminist gender studies professor thinks.

Forbes and the Daily Beast maybe, and if you think that about eHarmony there's no way I can help you, but I'm not sure you realize how trashy Psychology Today is...

Also, does it ever occur to you that 'rejecting feminist thought (because you pay attention to material like this instead (because you reject feminist thought))' might constitute a confirmation bias?

For a while that was certainty true. I then started to read topics on gender studies and other feminist blogs (since I could never back up claims I made in arguments) to see what the other side said. There's a few problems with modern third wave feminist thinking that I noticed. The statistics and data on the concept of the patriarchy, the wage gap, and rape culture were shockingly worse than the ones I was reading about prior. There's a very strong divide with these issues, in particular how the data was collected.

I'll use one example, the wage gap. The wage gap is calculated by many of these feminist articles almost never takes into account for occupations, positions, education, hours worked, tenure, workplace safety, bearing children, etc. which almost always causes men to earn more on average than women. Even among primarily self employed professions where you set your own hours, such as Dentists, the pay gap is still about 40% between men and women. (Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/03/us-gender-income-idUSBRE98211R20130903) The next question would be the debate as to whether women are choosing to do this because it's an innate biological difference, or because they were brought up into a patriarchal society and are culturally inclined to prefer making less than a man does. The nature vs. nurture debate is still ongoing with gender, and I don't want to make any definite conclusions on that subject. However, given the fact that it was already misleading to tout the wage gap without putting it into the correct context, I'm inclined not to trust the conclusions by feminist authors and professors. On the other hand, I don't trust a lot of MRAs for the same reason and despise Red Pillers for being blatantly misogynistic.  
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 02:01:57 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2015, 02:23:22 AM by captainkangaroo »

captainkangaroo you're embarassing yourself with how thick and uninformed you are about this subject.

cut your losses man

You can't event form a rebuttal to anything I said so you simply throw personal insults at me. When you're ready to act like an adult, try responding to what I wrote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies