Opinion of Kim Davis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:47:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Kim Davis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Opinion of Kim Davis
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 136

Author Topic: Opinion of Kim Davis  (Read 10185 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 12:49:53 PM »

I suspect she is sincere, but misguided.  The whole situation is a clusterfick on all sides.

By all sides, do you mean only her side?

The only "solution" to this they have come up with is to send her to jail and hope she caves, meanwhile people still can't get their marriage licenses.  There is a problem of governance here, you'd think someone would have realized something like this could become an issue.

She should resign from her position ... but what is the unemployment rate in her county I wonder?  May explain in part why she hasn't.

The deputy clerks are handing out licenses today.

seems it would prove my point.   Why was it supposedly necessary for her to be put in jail in order to get people their marriage licenses?   Nobody has a clue how to handle this, given the state of the law.

She refused to promise that she wouldn't interfere with her deputies giving out licenses.

Her deputies were not allowed to give out licences, even when they wanted to (as many did) because it required her authorisation. She stopped people doing their job at the same time she stopped doing hers.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 12:56:55 PM »

HP.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 03:05:27 PM »

I suspect she is sincere, but misguided.  The whole situation is a clusterfick on all sides.

By all sides, do you mean only her side?

The only "solution" to this they have come up with is to send her to jail and hope she caves, meanwhile people still can't get their marriage licenses.  There is a problem of governance here, you'd think someone would have realized something like this could become an issue.

She should resign from her position ... but what is the unemployment rate in her county I wonder?  May explain in part why she hasn't.

The deputy clerks are handing out licenses today.

seems it would prove my point.   Why was it supposedly necessary for her to be put in jail in order to get people their marriage licenses?   Nobody has a clue how to handle this, given the state of the law.

She refused to promise that she wouldn't interfere with her deputies giving out licenses.

Her deputies were not allowed to give out licences, even when they wanted to (as many did) because it required her authorisation. She stopped people doing their job at the same time she stopped doing hers.

So then, legally it must still require her approval, since she still holds the office even though she is in jail.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »

HP, ofcourse, however she shouldn't go to jail, just be fired from her job.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 03:36:21 PM »

Lean FF. I admire her bravery and believe she's a kindhearted person who is only doing this to please god, but she should just resign at this point. SSM is settled law.

We don't live in a theocracy. An elected official doing something contrary to his/her job to "please God" should not even be a thing.

HP, and the funny thing is she's an elected Democrat.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 05:11:12 PM »

You know, the fact that she's an extreme socon and a Democrat doesn't surprise me so much in that part of the country, but the fact that she's an Apostolic and a Democrat DOES. Actually even if she was a Republican I'd be surprised that an Apostolic is holding public office, especially one like that.

For those unaware, Apostolics are a Pentecostal denomination that are mostly found only in Appalachia and the Upper South and yet for whatever reason also North Dakota, (there's a non-negligible population around Bismarck, I know the chiropractor I went to in high school was one, and the receptionist, his daughter was recognizable as one), that basically shun alcohol and tobacco, jewelry, tattoos, most modern clothing and forbid women from wearing pants (they view this as equivalent to crossdressing like men wearing dresses), and their women wear their hair waist long while men are prohibited from having long hair, if you ever thought she was dressed a little odd and archaicly that's why (and notice her hair in the pic above.) They also heavily discourage though I don't believe actually "ban" owning a TV and watching movies. Much like Jehova's Witnesses they tend to be very "anti-worldly" and having one be in charge of record keeping for a county is an odd position. Although worth noting part of the reason why they hold to that is that such jobs could put someone in a position where they must be an accessory to sin...which brings up a valid point here. By the logic of her church she should've resigned as soon as the Supreme Court decision came if not sooner. Though I'm sure her local congregation support her and all.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 05:25:50 PM »

A total bitch.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2015, 01:24:00 PM »

Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2015, 02:35:19 PM »

Uber HP
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2015, 03:41:05 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2015, 04:12:38 PM by DemPGH »

Poster person for HPs right now. HP of the year maybe or something.

Forces her religion on the public, refuses to perform a function she was elected to perform, refuses to allow her subordinates to do it, defies court orders due to religious crusade, is extremely deluded.

On top of that horrible personally, obviously.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »

Evil
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2015, 04:51:10 PM »

If your religion is telling you to do things like that, you need to rethink your religion. HP.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2015, 05:02:30 PM »

You know, the fact that she's an extreme socon and a Democrat doesn't surprise me so much in that part of the country, but the fact that she's an Apostolic and a Democrat DOES. Actually even if she was a Republican I'd be surprised that an Apostolic is holding public office, especially one like that.

For those unaware, Apostolics are a Pentecostal denomination that are mostly found only in Appalachia and the Upper South and yet for whatever reason also North Dakota, (there's a non-negligible population around Bismarck, I know the chiropractor I went to in high school was one, and the receptionist, his daughter was recognizable as one), that basically shun alcohol and tobacco, jewelry, tattoos, most modern clothing and forbid women from wearing pants (they view this as equivalent to crossdressing like men wearing dresses), and their women wear their hair waist long while men are prohibited from having long hair, if you ever thought she was dressed a little odd and archaicly that's why (and notice her hair in the pic above.) They also heavily discourage though I don't believe actually "ban" owning a TV and watching movies. Much like Jehova's Witnesses they tend to be very "anti-worldly" and having one be in charge of record keeping for a county is an odd position. Although worth noting part of the reason why they hold to that is that such jobs could put someone in a position where they must be an accessory to sin...which brings up a valid point here. By the logic of her church she should've resigned as soon as the Supreme Court decision came if not sooner. Though I'm sure her local congregation support her and all.

That's an interesting and unique bit of analysis. Thank you.

Personally, I think issuing a marriage license to a homosexual couple is akin to burning a bit of incense to Caesar. However, there's nothing in the Bible that says Caesar owes you a job. The appropriate response for her is to resign.

This is the wrong hill for the religious right to die on. There's already a reasonable way for her to avoid violating her conscience, and she is a civil servant, not a private business owner. If social conservatives are to carve out for themselves a niche for themselves in a world where they are increasingly viewed as bigoted, they must be very careful about which battles to fight.

Of course, it is very easy for me to say she should resign with my cushy private sector job.
ScottieF

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2015, 05:43:18 PM »

Poster person for HPs right now. HP of the year maybe or something.

Forces her religion on the public, refuses to perform a function she was elected to perform, refuses to allow her subordinates to do it, defies court orders due to religious crusade, is extremely deluded.

On top of that horrible personally, obviously.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 08:17:21 PM »

Idiot.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »

Lean FF. I admire her bravery and believe she's a kindhearted person who is only doing this to please god, but she should just resign at this point. SSM is settled law.

We don't live in a theocracy. An elected official doing something contrary to his/her job to "please God" should not even be a thing.

So is every single elected official in Rowan County, save the (elected!) jailer. What's your point?

Um, maybe its that Democrats full-heartedly embrace gay marriages and she's denying them. It just goes to show that local governments across the rural south still elect very conservative Democrats. Its like traveling through a time warp for some of these places.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2015, 09:52:38 AM »

Massive HP.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »

So is every single elected official in Rowan County, save the (elected!) jailer. What's your point?

Frankly, she's one of yours.  I'll bet anything that Kim Davis is a big fan of the governor, is totally cool with taxing the "rich," increasing government funds for things like education and is probably perfectly fine with regulating Wall Street.  The fact that she's an intolerant dumb*ss doesn't make her any less of a Democrat...
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2015, 11:48:37 AM »

FF . You know how Dems like to play sanctuary cities with illegal immigrants, that's the card she was playing and according to the logic the Feds had no right to touch her.

From my conservatarian view, She invoked the law which inspired the jurisprudence of the western world and thus invoked a Higher Law.

To quote President John Adams "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2015, 08:40:33 PM »

Massive HP
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2015, 08:46:29 PM »

To quote President John Adams "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

wait so you're saying that kim davis isn't protected by the constitution? Huh
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2015, 12:16:52 AM »

Um, maybe its that Democrats full-heartedly embrace gay marriages and she's denying them. It just goes to show that local governments across the rural south still elect very conservative Democrats. Its like traveling through a time warp for some of these places.

It's worth pointing out that she's probably an open Republican on the presidential and statewide level. In many Mississippi and other rural Southern locales, the local offices (sheriffs, clerks, aldermen, etc.) are all elected on the Democratic Party line no matter what. If a local office holder wants to run for higher office, even legislature, they run as Republicans and nobody thinks of them as a party-switcher. It's just how the local elections are. It's not even "oh, they will still elect Democrats when they're conservative enough," it's "literally no one ever runs as a Republican for these local races, regardless of their actual identity."

I can't guarantee that Davis is like this, but she probably is.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2015, 05:30:52 AM »

Frankly, she's one of yours.  I'll bet anything that Kim Davis is a big fan of the governor, is totally cool with taxing the "rich," increasing government funds for things like education and is probably perfectly fine with regulating Wall Street.  The fact that she's an intolerant dumb*ss doesn't make her any less of a Democrat...

And your point is still?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2015, 12:12:45 PM »

She refuses to do the job that she was elected to do, because the law doesn't let her use her religion to discriminate against others. Then she acts like she's the victim. Massive HP.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2015, 03:13:56 PM »

It's worth pointing out that she's probably an open Republican on the presidential and statewide level. In many Mississippi and other rural Southern locales, the local offices (sheriffs, clerks, aldermen, etc.) are all elected on the Democratic Party line no matter what. If a local office holder wants to run for higher office, even legislature, they run as Republicans and nobody thinks of them as a party-switcher. It's just how the local elections are. It's not even "oh, they will still elect Democrats when they're conservative enough," it's "literally no one ever runs as a Republican for these local races, regardless of their actual identity."

I can't guarantee that Davis is like this, but she probably is.

So the obvious question is: Why don't people bother running for the GOP in local deep south races?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies