Will this lead to a backlash in public opinion on SSM?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:07:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will this lead to a backlash in public opinion on SSM?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Will this Kim Davis situation lead to a backlash in overall public opinion?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Will this lead to a backlash in public opinion on SSM?  (Read 5664 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 11:56:03 AM »

From what I've seen, public opinion locally is almost universally against Kim Davis.

Are you in Louisville?

I'm in northern Kentucky, but a lot of the sites I read are in rural Kentucky.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 12:35:25 PM »

From what I've seen, public opinion locally is almost universally against Kim Davis.

Are you in Louisville?

I'm in northern Kentucky, but a lot of the sites I read are in rural Kentucky.

Oh good, I hope Bevin's embrace of this woman sinks his candidacy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 12:43:40 PM »

Caveat: "sites Bandit reads"
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »

No, it will probably increase support for SSM. The Rowan County executive and local newspaper are unhappy about the situation btw.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 01:06:21 PM »

We've won, and not going back. How quickly the opposition dwindles from 43% of the country to 40% or 30% is not that interesting.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 01:10:33 PM »

No, it will probably increase support for SSM. The Rowan County executive and local newspaper are unhappy about the situation btw.

When the Right has lost the Kentucky media, they've lost everyone.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 01:24:25 PM »

I haven't really seen the expected flood of rightwing nonsense on my facebook feed. Perhaps social conservatives realized that this unpleasant woman would not make an effective new mascot for them? Plus I think even most of the people that are still all, "gay people are icky!" don't think that that's worth having county government grind to a halt over anymore.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 01:25:22 PM »

Being religious/a bigot does not make one "the right" or "conservative" inherently.  This woman's a Democrat not that out of line with the state Democratic Party.  Deal with it.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 02:06:18 PM »

1.She is an elected official so she can't be fired.

2.The judge actually offered her a compromise that her deputies could handle this and 5 of the 6 deputies - all except her son! - agreed they would do it. SHE turned that down.

She has also refused to resign.

She left the judge literally no other choice.  

I don't know about jail,  but there are plenty of Republicans who say they'd like to see Obama impeached for not somehow not following the Constitution, maybe she could be impeached, but the Judge can't do that.

It will be interesting to see the number of Republicans who lie that they are 'constitutionalists' who come out in support of her unconstitutional position.

Her position is clearly constitutional. Nice try.

Was Keith Bardwell's conscientious objection to interracial marriage constitutionally protected? I think not. And yet surprisingly, Piyush Jindal didn't come rushing to his defense...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Louisiana_interracial_marriage_incident
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 05:06:13 PM »

Pro-SSM people on Facebook, Twitter, etc. are posting things like
"yes, that b**** is finally going to jail, hope she makes a new girlfriend, whether she likes it or not!" etc. Plenty of other malicious, vindictive, ugly winner quotes like that. Not everyone, but I'd say about half of the posts I've seen on it today have been malicious towards her in a personal way.

You need to unfrriend some people.
daverep
Rookie
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2015, 07:09:22 PM »

Honestly why does everyone always hem and haw about what a few knuckleheads on Twitter say during things like this? Seems like no one is going to change their opinion just because some anonymous internet people said mean things.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2015, 06:17:41 PM »

2.The judge actually offered her a compromise that her deputies could handle this and 5 of the 6 deputies - all except her son! - agreed they would do it. SHE turned that down.

I don't know about jail,  but there are plenty of Republicans who say they'd like to see Obama impeached for not somehow not following the Constitution, maybe she could be impeached, but the Judge can't do that.

It will be interesting to see the number of Republicans who lie that they are 'constitutionalists' who come out in support of her unconstitutional position.

Her position is clearly constitutional. Nice try.

I guess you missed the news. The United States Supreme Court disagrees with you.  Actually, they couldn't care less what you say, rightly or wrongly, they and no one else, decide what the Constitution says.

SCOTUS has been wrong several times. Plessy v Furgeson, Roe v Wade, all the rulings concerning the Affordable Care Act. What has happened here is a plain and simple case of judicial activism.

King would be siding with me on this one too.

“One may well ask, ‘How can you advocate breaking some laws and obeying others?’” King continued. “The answer is found in the fact that there are two types of laws: There are just laws and there are unjust laws. I would be the first to advocate obeying just laws. One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that ‘an unjust law is no law at all.’

“Now, what is the difference between the two?” wrote King. “How does one determine when a law is just or unjust? A just law is a man-made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law. To put it in the terms of St. Thomas Aquinas, an unjust law is a human law that is not rooted in eternal law and natural law.”
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2015, 07:18:41 PM »

oh here we go again, you gross fųcking bigot

SCOTUS has been wrong several times. Plessy v Furgeson,
which, as a decision limiting equal rights, is the opposite case to obergefell v hodges

You must be logged in to read this quote.
not wrong

definition please. it always seems to come out to "decisions i don't like".

hahaha no. king vocally condemned the church's lukewarm-at-best stance towards equal rights¹, and he would be doing the same today.

relevant how? gay marriage is not against god's moral law.

not to mention that as kim davis was acting as a government official and not as a private citizen, a certain something about "rendering unto caesar what is caesar's" would seem to be relevant.

¹
Quote from: Restricted
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »

I don't think so. Surprisingly, most people seem to think that she deserved to go to jail (an opinion that I disagree with), so most people will hence probably be more inclined to oppose her cause. The Kim Davis scenario, of course, will further polarize the issue of same-sex marriage, but the only people that will be more against it will be the people who already were.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »

LOL at everyone who voted yes. Rasmussen had people 66-26 against her. When you've lost the Westboro Baptist Church, you failed.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2015, 07:35:21 PM »

There's a vocal minority that still strongly opposes marriage equality. They didn't go away after the Supreme Court ruling. However, there isn't much more they can accomplish. This is their last hurrah.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2015, 10:30:38 PM »

There's a vocal minority that still strongly opposes marriage equality. They didn't go away after the Supreme Court ruling. However, there isn't much more they can accomplish. This is their last hurrah.

There is, but even most of those people don't think that it's worth shutting governments down over or keeping straight couples from getting marriage licenses too anymore.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2015, 07:43:42 PM »

which, as a decision limiting equal rights, is the opposite case to obergefell v hodges

not wrong

hahaha no. king vocally condemned the church's lukewarm-at-best stance towards equal rights¹, and he would be doing the same today.

not to mention that as kim davis was acting as a government official and not as a private citizen, a certain something about "rendering unto caesar what is caesar's" would seem to be relevant.

¹

Gay marriage is against God's moral law as homosexuality is against God's moral law. King would be with me on this one. Your side cannot dispute that.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »

not wrong

¹

Gay marriage is against God's moral law as homosexuality is against God's moral law. King would be with me on this one. Your side cannot dispute that.

i already proved you wrong. shush.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2015, 08:25:50 PM »

Being religious/a bigot does not make one "the right" or "conservative" inherently.  This woman's a Democrat not that out of line with the state Democratic Party.  Deal with it.

RIP RINO losers trying to deflect blame.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2015, 08:37:39 PM »

She could be impeached, but the Kentucky legislature is currently out of session.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2015, 09:05:49 PM »

no. it'll create louder opposition (as if they needed any help) but not more opposition

I agree with this. People who will see that and are already opposed will speak louder against it. People who are already supportive will brush it off as extremists or stupid people that happen to be on their side.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2015, 09:17:50 PM »

I couldn't stop laughing when I read this.  Why do people post stuff they know is going to blow up in their faces?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies