Trump embarrasses himself on Hugh Hewitt show
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:11:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump embarrasses himself on Hugh Hewitt show
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump embarrasses himself on Hugh Hewitt show  (Read 3946 times)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 11:53:07 AM »

You're telling me I could expect Carly Fiorina to give me a coherent answer on either the Malaysian-Indonesian border dispute or the comparative economic policies of Sarit Dhanarajata and Norodom Sihanouk?

I was referring to the situation in Iran.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 12:35:55 PM »

Trump's answers were obviously hilariously bad, but he did his Trump thing here so he'll probably be fine.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 06:21:09 PM »

How important for American foreign policy aims is it that Jeb Bush be informed about the root causes of the Konfrontasi and a border dispute on Kalimantan? Do you think Hillary could explain that? Isn't that what the State Department is for? It's one thing to be an ignoramus like Trump, unknowing of major events and groups abroad, but another to not know of the minutiae of ultra low-level disputes unrelated to the United States.

I don't see the point of asking candidates to contrast the development polices of Sarit Dhanarajata and Norodom Sihanouk and their effects on their countries' subsequent histories. You can ask me those sorts of things-- I enjoy talking about the minutiae of Southeast Asia-- but I'm not running for President.

Carly Fiorina has been briefed on these issues, she understood the questions. If Donald Trump is unwilling to do his homework before obtaining the job of President, how can we trust him to do his homework as President? The fact is, Mr. Trump doesn't understand foreign policy or the economy, and that's a problem.

FDR was dead before Truman even knew there was an A-Bomb in the works.

Running for President isn't a quiz show and being President isn't a matter of being an expert on everything.  It's a matter of using EXECUTIVE power.  Carter probably could have answered such questions far better than Reagan in a similar point in the 1980 campaign; how'd that one turn out?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 06:42:39 PM »

How important for American foreign policy aims is it that Jeb Bush be informed about the root causes of the Konfrontasi and a border dispute on Kalimantan? Do you think Hillary could explain that? Isn't that what the State Department is for? It's one thing to be an ignoramus like Trump, unknowing of major events and groups abroad, but another to not know of the minutiae of ultra low-level disputes unrelated to the United States.

I don't see the point of asking candidates to contrast the development polices of Sarit Dhanarajata and Norodom Sihanouk and their effects on their countries' subsequent histories. You can ask me those sorts of things-- I enjoy talking about the minutiae of Southeast Asia-- but I'm not running for President.

Carly Fiorina has been briefed on these issues, she understood the questions. If Donald Trump is unwilling to do his homework before obtaining the job of President, how can we trust him to do his homework as President? The fact is, Mr. Trump doesn't understand foreign policy or the economy, and that's a problem.

Running for President isn't a quiz show and being President isn't a matter of being an expert on everything.  It's a matter of using EXECUTIVE power.  Carter probably could have answered such questions far better than Reagan in a similar point in the 1980 campaign; how'd that one turn out?
Pretty good, actually. Carter was the last president not to launch any wars, and helped facilitate peace between Israel and Egypt. Despite the hostage rescue attempt, practically no American service members died on his watch compared to other 20th century presidents.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 06:58:54 PM »

Pretty good, actually. Carter was the last president not to launch any wars, and helped facilitate peace between Israel and Egypt. Despite the hostage rescue attempt, practically no American service members died on his watch compared to other 20th century presidents.

I'm talking about how this went in terms of debating.  The more knowledgeable and intellectual Carter was destroyed by Reagan in one debate.

But yes, Carter kept us out of war and kept the Constitution pretty much the way he found it.  He's the most awfulized President in our history.  He wasn't anywhere near as bad as he's been made out to have been. 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 07:00:15 PM »

If you're going to be President of the United States, you should at least know the basic players on the world stage. And if you claim you are going to "take it to ISIS", you should know the players behind that. If you don't you aren't qualified. That simple.
weixiaobao
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 07:09:44 PM »

I think you are not replying to me.  But when I brought out Indonesia and Malaysia, both countries are not blatantly pro China like Cambodia but neither want to confront China.  Malaysia in particular is a huge trading partner with China but is a claimant in the South China Sea dispute.  They are alarmed but have to use nice "tone" to not risk offend China.  Since they are not immediate neighbor of China like India, Japan, Bhutan, Burma, Vietnam, and Philippines, they don't feel those "border" invasion just yet.  Small countries like Bhutan and and weaker nation like Burma do things in their own way.  But India, Japan, Vietnam, Philippines are loudly and openly protesting China.

Japan for example are competing with China to court Malaysia and Indonesia into the fold.  Indonesia and Malaysia always use the rhetoric of resolving disputes through diplomacy.  Because China isn't at their front door yet.  But already, both countries and the rest of East/South East Asia/ India/ Australia are beefing up their navy exponentially.  When Indonesia declare Natuna is their territory.  That message is not to anyone but China.  On one hand, they said China is peaceful friend.  On another hand, they stocking up weapons and buying ships and fortifying their islands.

And yes, the USA is involved.  The USA is actively trying to encircle China and pro freedom of navigation.  If an incident involving countries like South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, or Philippines.  The USA will have to be drag into it.  And they are already been dragging into it.   

Words and actions don't match.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 07:10:42 PM »

I'm talking about how this went in terms of debating.  The more knowledgeable and intellectual Carter was destroyed by Reagan in one debate.

But yes, Carter kept us out of war and kept the Constitution pretty much the way he found it.  He's the most awfulized President in our history.  He wasn't anywhere near as bad as he's been made out to have been. 

Ah, yes. That makes more sense.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 07:15:33 PM »

The only thing that will stop Trump is if he goes on a vicious attack against Ben Carson. That's about it.

Why would that be a problem?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 07:18:52 PM »

^^
republicans are (in general) much more fond of veterans than blacks - and trump's attacks on mccain haven't slowed him down one bit.

in other news, dudeabides's pathetic attempts to grasp at straws continue to be hilarious
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 07:22:04 PM »

^^
republicans are (in general) much more fond of veterans than blacks - and trump's attacks on mccain haven't slowed him down one bit.

in other news, dudeabides's pathetic attempts to grasp at straws continue to be hilarious

Republicans HAAAAAATE John McCain. Republicans love Ben Carson.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 08:03:37 PM »

I would expect a presidential candidate to know the difference between Hamas and Hezbollah, but I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be able to know the leaders of those groups.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2015, 03:41:29 AM »

I would expect a presidential candidate to know the difference between Hamas and Hezbollah, but I wouldn't necessarily expect them to be able to know the leaders of those groups.

Really? If the names of those leaders are considered basic entry knowledge in the national security community, I would expect a candidate for the commander in chief to know that information.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies