USDA's Egg Board: Inside the Mayo Wars
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:23:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  USDA's Egg Board: Inside the Mayo Wars
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: USDA's Egg Board: Inside the Mayo Wars  (Read 635 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 04, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://qz.com/493958/there-is-literally-a-us-government-conspiracy-against-vegan-mayo/
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 11:01:34 PM »

Remember when one of the 4 food groups was "dairy"? There are some very powerful interests opposing diary substitutes.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 11:32:28 PM »

Well, they are right.

American are entitled to true information. Vegan "mayo" doesn't exist.

Mayonnaise has a recipe. If you want to create another product, fine, but don't call it mayo. It's the same thing around the world.

Miracle Whip isn't mayonnaise (it doesn't have the right ingredients), it's dressing sauce.

Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 11:39:57 PM »

Mayonnaise is a dressing made of eggs, oil, and vinegar -- if it's not made of those three ingredients, then it's not mayonnaise and shouldn't be marketed as such. Too much label substitution is permitted in the US food industry already.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 11:58:47 PM »

Mayonnaise is a dressing made of eggs, oil, and vinegar -- if it's not made of those three ingredients, then it's not mayonnaise and shouldn't be marketed as such. Too much label substitution is permitted in the US food industry already.

Most people don't eat mayonnaise so that they get their daily recommended allowance of vinegar.
What exactly are you afraid will happen?  Someone will die because they didn't eat something with eggs in them?
If someone cares that much about the ingredients they should read the ingredients list, or see on the front where it says "egg free."
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 01:52:52 AM »
« Edited: September 05, 2015, 01:55:35 AM by Storebought »

Most people don't eat mayonnaise so that they get their daily recommended allowance of vinegar.
What exactly are you afraid will happen?  Someone will die because they didn't eat something with eggs in them?
If someone cares that much about the ingredients they should read the ingredients list, or see on the front where it says "egg free."

Ideally, the relationship between the name of a food product and its ingredients should be one-to-one. It's a way of enforcing pure food labeling by producers with respect to consumers.

If a product labels itself mayonnaise, then customers should know what its general ingredients are immediately. Even in the US, perhaps thanks to the egg board, "mayonnaise" is not yet a generic trade label for any shelf-stable edible white(ish) emulsion. In which case it can be called a "sandwich spread" or some other more loosely defined term.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2015, 03:22:24 AM »

What exactly are you afraid will happen?  Someone will die because they didn't eat something with eggs in them?

No, it's plainly a fact of not lying.

Mayonnaise is eggs, oil and vinegar. If there is no eggs, that's not mayonnaise, that's something else.

What's next, selling water under the name "milk"?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 03:46:55 AM »

Homer-So one of those Egg Council creeps got to you too, huh?
MaxQue-...it's not like that...
<guy in egg suit runs away>
Homer-YOU'd BETTER RUN EGG!

It's pretty freaking funny that this is a big deal to some people.  I mean, the "egg council" I understand, but a regular consumer of mayo?  Makes no sense.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 03:59:31 AM »

It's pretty freaking funny that this is a big deal to some people.  I mean, the "egg council" I understand, but a regular consumer of mayo?  Makes no sense.

I doubt anybody really care about mayo, but here's the thing, if you do this with mayo you can also do it with other products, writing whatever they want on a product.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015, 04:00:38 AM »

No, it's plainly a fact of not lying.

Mayonnaise is eggs, oil and vinegar. If there is no eggs, that's not mayonnaise, that's something else.

What's next, selling water under the name "milk"?

Mayo is not a substance found in nature. It is by definition artificial, so people can make it how they like.  I guess one could believe there is an ideal form of mayo in a Platonic sense, but I don't subscribe to that.

And here in the US we have things called soy milk, almond milk, flax milk, hemp milk, cashew milk, oat milk, etc. and none actually come from the mammaries of any animal.  Somehow we figure it out and have not had riots over it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 04:40:51 AM »

I doubt anybody really care about mayo, but here's the thing, if you do this with mayo you can also do it with other products, writing whatever they want on a product.
Well, no, they can't write whatever they want.  They can say it's a thing, when it's not made from that things normal ingredients, but that information WILL be on the box.  Probably quite boldly.  And if by some stupid accident you end up with this faux product and it tastes like ass to you, write the company an email if you must, you might get your money back and then don't buy that again...just like you would with any product that you think tastes like ass.  I seriously don't see what the big deal is here.

If you want to be pissed at the food manufacturers, be pissed that they often decrease the portion sizes while keeping the packaging (and the price) the same size.  I understand costs slowly rise over time and those costs must be passed on to the consumer, but either raise the price, or shrink the packaging in relation to the shrinkage of portion.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 05:20:41 PM »

Well, for one, I am glad that Velveeta is not legally permitted to call itself cheese, despite its superficial appearance and suggested cooking instructions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies