I will not be voting Conservative in the upcoming Canadian elections.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:58:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  I will not be voting Conservative in the upcoming Canadian elections.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I will not be voting Conservative in the upcoming Canadian elections.  (Read 2834 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2005, 11:01:40 PM »

After the "conservative" party of Canada adopted a pro-abortion positition, agreed with the whole gay marriage thing, changed their opinion of Kyoto from against to in favor, and don't really care about lowering taxes, they lost me as a voter.

The party is no longer conservative.  It is now just another liberal party.

I will be voting Freedom Party, if there is a candidate in my riding.  If there isn't, I will vote NDP as a strategic vote to get a minority government in power.  It is the best I can do to prevent the government from actually doing anything.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 11:12:43 PM »

or you could always move down here, and save yourself the trouble on deciding between what you see as the lesser of two evils. 
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 11:56:46 PM »

It's an interesting anomaly of late how the so-called "Conservative" parties have generally come out tentatively and even markedly for gay marriage and civil unions.

The British Conservative Party voted for it before the Parliament last year, with only about a quarter of the Parliamentary Party voting against it, and MPs such as Francis Maude actively hammering for it to be passed.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 12:09:47 AM »

Forgive them, they know not what they do.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 12:29:27 AM »

After the "conservative" party of Canada adopted a pro-abortion positition, agreed with the whole gay marriage thing, changed their opinion of Kyoto from against to in favor, and don't really care about lowering taxes, they lost me as a voter.

The party is no longer conservative.  It is now just another liberal party.

I will be voting Freedom Party, if there is a candidate in my riding.  If there isn't, I will vote NDP as a strategic vote to get a minority government in power.  It is the best I can do to prevent the government from actually doing anything.

The Freedom Party doesn't run in federal elections.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 12:30:21 AM »

It's an interesting anomaly of late how the so-called "Conservative" parties have generally come out tentatively and even markedly for gay marriage and civil unions.

The British Conservative Party voted for it before the Parliament last year, with only about a quarter of the Parliamentary Party voting against it, and MPs such as Francis Maude actively hammering for it to be passed.

Only a small handful of tories support same-sex marriage.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 12:53:52 AM »

I'm sorry, given the propensity to get confused, I'd ask that you denote which nation's Conservatives you refer to when you do.

Assuming you mean the British Conservative Party, I'd say that the Conservative front bench voted for the Civil Unions bill last year, along with a number of backbenchers. Lets be honest: Civil Unions are gay marriage in all but name; Other than a slight problem regarding pensions, which was actually an oversight on the part of Parliament, they entail identical rights and privileges.

There's also some legal concern over formally calling in marriage in  the UK because there is a danger that the state church, the Church of England, may be forced to hand out marriages to gay couples against its will. Given that I don't want to force that sort of situation upon any religious organisation, I'll happily accept the comprimise.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 02:36:44 AM »

I'm sorry, given the propensity to get confused, I'd ask that you denote which nation's Conservatives you refer to when you do.

Assuming you mean the British Conservative Party, I'd say that the Conservative front bench voted for the Civil Unions bill last year, along with a number of backbenchers. Lets be honest: Civil Unions are gay marriage in all but name; Other than a slight problem regarding pensions, which was actually an oversight on the part of Parliament, they entail identical rights and privileges.

There's also some legal concern over formally calling in marriage in  the UK because there is a danger that the state church, the Church of England, may be forced to hand out marriages to gay couples against its will. Given that I don't want to force that sort of situation upon any religious organisation, I'll happily accept the comprimise.

I was actually referring to the Canadian tories, who Richius thinks all support Same-sex marriage. This couldn't be further from the truth.  Richius has to understand though, that the tories have to become very moderate, or at least appear to be in order to win an election- or at least a majority.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 02:53:10 AM »

So the Tories have learned that to win elections you have to be fairly close to the mainstream?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 03:02:11 AM »

Richius as an NDP voter...I'm shocked and delighted. Smiley What riding are you going to vote in?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 04:02:43 AM »

So the Tories have learned that to win elections you have to be fairly close to the mainstream?

In my opinion, they haven't learned that yet. Wink Not until they pick Belinda Stronach as their leader.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 05:39:50 AM »

I'm shocked they let a South African vote in Canada.  How long have you been there Richius?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 07:24:22 AM »

Yes they will.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 07:25:32 AM »

I was actually referring to the Canadian tories, who Richius thinks all support Same-sex marriage. This couldn't be further from the truth.  Richius has to understand though, that the tories have to become very moderate, or at least appear to be in order to win an election- or at least a majority.
Perhaps.  But then they're pretty much like the Liberals, wouldn't you think?  And what use is it then to vote for them if they are Liberal Junior?

I'm shocked they let a South African vote in Canada.  How long have you been there Richius?
I'm not South African.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 07:28:36 AM »

whereas here, the Howard govenment brought a bill banning it before parliament just before the election, and the ALP unanimously supported it. Even the lesbian senator from SA was forced to vote for it. (Australia's parties are a lot more...cohesive then the UK's or especially the USA's. The ALP vote to determine their position and then they all have to follow it, for example. The liberals and nats are similar).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 10:53:37 AM »

Not until they pick Belinda Stronach as their leader.

how old is she? She's pretty good looking for a politician.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 01:27:37 PM »

Not until they pick Belinda Stronach as their leader.

how old is she? She's pretty good looking for a politician.

She just turned 39 earlier this month. Here's another tidbit: She's dating felow MP Peter MacKay (former leader of the PC's)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 01:28:13 PM »

Yes they will.

What proof do you have? They're not even registered with elections Canada yet.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 01:31:12 PM »

Yes they will.

Their website?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 01:37:34 PM »

Yes they will.

Their website?
LOL If I had a nickel for every political party who claimed on their website they were running candidates in the next election....  I wouldn't believe what they say until the register with elections Canada.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2005, 01:51:21 PM »

Yes they will.

Their website?
LOL If I had a nickel for every political party who claimed on their website they were running candidates in the next election....  I wouldn't believe what they say until the register with elections Canada.
We have already.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2005, 01:53:07 PM »

Yes they will.

Their website?
We have already.
Nope: http://www.elections.ca/content.asp?section=pol&document=index&dir=par&lang=e&textonly=false
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »

Yes they will.

Their website?
We have already.
Nope: http://www.elections.ca/content.asp?section=pol&document=index&dir=par&lang=e&textonly=false
The party has been registered, but no candidates are up yet.  Therefore nothing on the website because there is no one to vote for.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2005, 02:16:26 PM »

Yes they will.

Their website?
We have already.
The party has been registered, but no candidates are up yet.  Therefore nothing on the website because there is no one to vote for.

You dont need candidates to register. Just look at the 3 parties on that list that registered last time. (Ontario Party, National Alternative, Absolutely Absurd) None of them had any candidates listed ever. Perhaps you need to read the Elections Act.
Shira

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2005, 05:07:05 PM »

All conservative parties in Europe have nothing to do with gay marriage, abortions and other non-issues like these.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies