Favorite major city mayors?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:29:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Favorite major city mayors?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Favorite major city mayors?  (Read 1004 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2005, 12:05:30 AM »

Who are your favorite major city mayors?

I'm not meaning to sound biased or anything, and technically I don't live in Seattle, but Seattle's mayor Greg Nickels is probably my favorite. I can't think of anything he's done that I've disapproved of, he's the best mayor the city has had in modern history! I'd love to see him run for governor. Cheesy
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 12:33:44 AM »

Well, his name rhymes with "Jest" and he's under investigation by the FBI!

Wink
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 09:31:34 AM »

Well, his name rhymes with "Jest" and he's under investigation by the FBI!

Wink

He probably wouldn't have been a bad mayor...

I also like Daley, sort of. I like to see things get done, and a lot of city governments can't do that. It seems like Chicago can.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 09:45:55 AM »

On that note, Offenbach's mayor Gerhard Grandke sounds pretty good. (Although that's hard to pronounce for a Frankfurter.) I hope he'll be the SPD candidate for state PM next time around. There was talk of him running last time, but instead they nominate dull-as-hell Gerhard Bökel, and got a right nice drubbing.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 10:44:26 AM »

R. T. Rybek - Minneapolis
Gavin Newsom - San Francisco (a true freedom fighter!)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 01:53:54 PM »

Ken Livingstone's been suprisingly good (if you ignore the various drunken rants).
Trilobyte

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 02:00:27 PM »

I've heard that New Yorkers don't like Michael Bloomberg, but he seems to be doing a great job from an outsider's point of view.
Cashcow

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 02:40:16 PM »

Why, MAYOR STREET, of course! 

...no
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 03:17:55 PM »

I like the Mayor Doherty of Scranton (not really a major city but it works). Hopefully, he will run for Kanjorski House seat in '06/'08.  I also like Mayor Hahn of LA and Mayor Daley of Chicago.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 03:37:17 PM »

Anchorage mayor Mark Begich.

He's a Democrat. But, when that show The West Wing had their president in Air Force One, he was having some sort of medical condition, and the plane was flying over Fairbanks. For treatment, the staff said Fairbanks was closer, but Anchorage had a better hospital. The president had the gaul to say he had better doctors on the plane than down here. Well, the mayor sent a letter to the show's producer John Wells saying that Anchorage has some of the best medical care in the country. Smiley

Also, that NBC personality Katie Couric said, on national tv, that one of the things she wanted to do very much, was to go to Alaska and catch an Alaskan salmon. So, the mayor sent her an official invitation to the city of Anchorage.

Don't ask me why, we Alaskans appreciate these little things... Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 12:19:53 AM »

I have no real favorites in terms of mayors, especially the mayor of the city in which I presently reside.

I will say, however, that the most competent mayors in the US are the ones that have turned NYC from a typical rotten inner-city hellhole of the US into the safest and most desirable place in the country, almost.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 03:09:05 AM »

Anchorage mayor Mark Begich.

He's a Democrat. But, when that show The West Wing had their president in Air Force One, he was having some sort of medical condition, and the plane was flying over Fairbanks. For treatment, the staff said Fairbanks was closer, but Anchorage had a better hospital. The president had the gaul to say he had better doctors on the plane than down here. Well, the mayor sent a letter to the show's producer John Wells saying that Anchorage has some of the best medical care in the country. Smiley

Also, that NBC personality Katie Couric said, on national tv, that one of the things she wanted to do very much, was to go to Alaska and catch an Alaskan salmon. So, the mayor sent her an official invitation to the city of Anchorage.

Don't ask me why, we Alaskans appreciate these little things... Tongue
Begich? Begich? Name sounds familiar...Nick Begich, isn't it?
Ah, yeah, American Dynasties...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 05:59:45 AM »

Inner city mayors in AUS all suck. In Sydney they have some ultra-greenie, and here in Melbourne we have the semi-reasoably but still bad Lord Mayor John So. He's originally of Chinese descent, and has lived in Melbourne for decades, but he still has an extremely pronounced accent. I know people that have been in AUS for 5 years and have less of an accent. Half the time you can't understand him :S

In terms of actually doing the job, he's alright. Perception of crime is down, although non-violent crime is up in the CBD, as is drug-related crime. Services aren't worse, not really better either. There has been a massive residential boom in the area and they seem to be coping though, so I suppose it's all good. But he could do a lot better, imho. Especially if his constituents could understand him Smiley

My local mayor is another ultra-greenie. He's one of those leftwing idealists who think they can go into local gov't and actually make a difference. The only thing local councils do, except the CBD ones, is name streets and collect garbage, so what's he done? Introduce fines for non-recyclers and insisted that any new street names be named after prominent aborigines. If people directly elected the mayor, he'd never have gotten in, but the councillors do, and in our ward we only had one candidate, so basically...sigh. Once we didn't even have an candidates in our ward, so some 20 year old started a write-in campaign and won with about 600 votes out of a possible 10,000-because there weren't any candidates, it wasn't compulsory Smiley
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 06:19:58 AM »

Richard M. Daley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies