Opinion of Muammar Gaddafi (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:01:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Muammar Gaddafi (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of Libyan dictator Mummar Gaddafi
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Opinion of Muammar Gaddafi  (Read 2538 times)
The Last Northerner

« on: September 09, 2015, 07:01:49 PM »

It was a mistake to remove him. A serious mistake.

I would argue that it was the best thing to do, considering he was going to basically burn the rebel-controlled towns to the ground and slaughter thousands of his own people (or so he threatened), far more than have died in a Gaddafi-less world.

The problem the US made was not following up and contributing support to the secular-ish types and forcing the Islamists to back down.

Like in Iraq?

Putting an end to that mass murderer is yet another wonderful accomplishment of Barack Obama.

Would you say the same if Bush did it? I somehow doubt it.

HP regardless.
The Last Northerner

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 01:11:38 AM »

It was a mistake to remove him. A serious mistake.

I would argue that it was the best thing to do, considering he was going to basically burn the rebel-controlled towns to the ground and slaughter thousands of his own people (or so he threatened), far more than have died in a Gaddafi-less world.

The problem the US made was not following up and contributing support to the secular-ish types and forcing the Islamists to back down.

Like in Iraq?

Putting an end to that mass murderer is yet another wonderful accomplishment of Barack Obama.

Would you say the same if Bush did it? I somehow doubt it.

HP regardless.

The difference with Iraq is that we ignored the rebels the first time, and then when we finally got rid of Saddam in the second war, there wasn't really any rebel forces we could have supported. We just went in and attacked, essentially. At least in Libya there was a clear, non-Gaddafi opposition that at least appeared democratic.

I see where you are comming from. With hindsight bias of course, would you have supported an overthrow of Saddam back in 91 using the Shia/Kurds/anti-Saddam elements as auxiliary ground forces?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies