Conservative Public Universities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:53:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Conservative Public Universities
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Conservative Public Universities  (Read 7407 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 09:20:44 AM »

18-24 in 2016 is very different than 18-29 in 2015.  Those 2015 23-29 year olds are far, far more liberal than the 2015 17-22 year olds.  1992 serves as a breaking point between a more liberal and a more centrist (or, really, more evenly polarized) generation.

Do you have a source for those claims?

I doubt it. I have a source though:

http://www.cnn.com/election/2014/results/race/house#exit-polls

18-24: 54% Democrat 44% Republican 2% Other/NA
25-29: 54% Democrat 43% Republican 3% Other/NA

Not really much of a statistical difference.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 09:25:19 AM »

18-24 in 2016 is very different than 18-29 in 2015.  Those 2015 23-29 year olds are far, far more liberal than the 2015 17-22 year olds.  1992 serves as a breaking point between a more liberal and a more centrist (or, really, more evenly polarized) generation.

Plus, that's a recent midterm, when many of the most liberal folks just stayed home.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 09:37:05 AM »

Plus, that's a recent midterm, when many of the most liberal folks just stayed home.

Sure. But it's the best data we currently have for that age group, since most of those people weren't old enough to vote in 2012. In 2016 we'll get a better picture.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »

That includes the 2014 23 and 24 year olds who are the most liberal generation.  I would bet that 18-22 went GOP if there were exit polls of that group.

Google "Democrats have a young people problem too" for a Washington Post article detailing how Romney actually won the 18-20 vote in 2012.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2015, 11:02:04 AM »

Google "Democrats have a young people problem too" for a Washington Post article detailing how Romney actually won the 18-20 vote in 2012.

The idea that Romney won the 18-20s was already debunked.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2015, 12:41:59 PM by realisticidealist »

^

I was going to complain that the Cheney precincts with EWU in them are both way less liberal than the WSU and CWU precincts, but I ran some numbers first.  Both of the precincts with EWU in them were only 22% under 30 years old among 2012 voters.  It's looking like 250-400 student votes citywide.  Even considering it has a lot of commuters (I hear), that's really low versus the student population, so I have no idea how they voted.  Why so apathetic?  I'm also curious why you think it's more liberal than WSU and CWU.

I also wouldn't say Gonzaga is conservative.  Gonzaga's precinct is noticeably more liberal than the surrounding areas, especially on social issues, and students are a big chunk of the vote there.  I'd say the only conservative-leaning schools in the state are probably Northwest University and Whitworth (not SPU, contrary to popular perception).

I'm going off my personal experience, which I admit is probably biased. I attended EWU for two years, have now been at WSU for two-plus years; my wife attended Gonzaga for two years, Walla Walla for two years (MSW); and have family that's attended CWU.

Here's the thing about EWU: not only are there a lot of commuters (there are only four or five apartment complexes in the town and two are brand new whereas Pullman has dozens), but the school also has a much higher proportion of international students and minorities in general than the other universities I've been to. If I had to guess, I'd say most students who attend EWU don't register to vote in Cheney, either because they live in Spokane, aren't citizens, or keep their registration at their home. I personally never registered to vote in Cheney. With regard to living arrangements, EWU is almost more like a very large community college than a traditional university.

EWU is neither a particularly religious nor STEM-driven school. It's easily more liberal in every way that Gonzaga from my experience. Gonzaga is equal parts rich-kid trust funders and poor white Catholics (not many minorities there). There isn't much of an in-between. They have a very active university ministry program, lots of highly attended mass times, and virtually no fraternities/sororities, whereas EWU and especially WSU have lots of Greek presence. Most Gonzaga students live on-campus, I believe, as the university has lots of really nice and new housing accommodations. Part of that is also that the school is bordered by some really poor, slummy neighborhoods, especially to the north. Logan neighborhood is not a place you want to walk at night if you can help it.

I've never been to Whitworth, so I can't attest to that one.

Walla Walla U is an SDA theocracy that doesn't serve meat and is closed on Saturdays for Sabbath. The whole town is like a SDA version of Utah. It's kinda interesting, actually, but that's easily one of the more conservative universities in the state. Then there's Whitman just a few miles east, which is east coast rich-kid liberal arts-only. Makes for an interesting mix in the Walla Walla area.

WSU is an ag school, but it's becoming less and less of one every year proportionally. You can easily drive through campus and never see anything related to their ag/animal programs. They have lots of international students as well, but they're much more heavily east and south Asian whereas EWU is more diverse. The school has a large numbers of frats and even has a couple bars on campus. I rank WSU as more conservative than EWU due to the fact that it still does have that ag factor which EWU does not, plus that WSU has easily the highest (among the major universities, anyway) concentration of Mormons in the state.

I have the least experience with CWU of any of them, honestly; I've only visited twice. My perception is that CWU's a bit like a smaller WSU with more emphasis on engineering than ag. They have feeder programs for Boeing in aviation and aeronautics-related engineering (UW has all the big AE programs, whereas CWU trains for less-technical, more-trade-related positions). However, they do have a few artsy programs, so maybe I'm wrong about them.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2015, 02:27:27 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2015, 02:49:23 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

I'm going off my personal experience, which I admit is probably biased. I attended EWU for two years, have now been at WSU for two-plus years; my wife attended Gonzaga for two years, Walla Walla for two years (MSW); and have family that's attended CWU.

Here's the thing about EWU: not only are there a lot of commuters (there are only four or five apartment complexes in the town and two are brand new whereas Pullman has dozens), but the school also has a much higher proportion of international students and minorities in general than the other universities I've been to. If I had to guess, I'd say most students who attend EWU don't register to vote in Cheney, either because they live in Spokane, aren't citizens, or keep their registration at their home. I personally never registered to vote in Cheney. With regard to living arrangements, EWU is almost more like a very large community college than a traditional university.

I don't think that's the explanation.  Cheney is only 6.3% foreign-born, compared to 13.5% for Washington state.  That doesn't seem like it can mathematically account for the ridiculously low number of under-35 voters versus the under-35 population of Cheney.  And I'm going after Census numbers here, not the school's enrollment, so these are people with residences in Cheney.   Maybe many vote at home instead, but I'm not sure why the rate would be drastically higher with in-town EWU students than with in-town students of other schools.  Makes it really hard to tell how EWU students voted (almost certainly pretty liberal, but quite possibly less so than any of the other state schools).

EWU is neither a particularly religious nor STEM-driven school. It's easily more liberal in every way that Gonzaga from my experience. Gonzaga is equal parts rich-kid trust funders and poor white Catholics (not many minorities there). There isn't much of an in-between.

For Gonzaga to be conservative, the surrounding neighborhood would have to be 70%+ for both Obama and same-sex marriage.  Based on nearby precincts, I'm quite confident that's not the case.  I think it's much likelier that Gonzaga boosted up the precinct containing it.  There's really no question from the precinct results that Gonzaga's on-campus voters are both Democratic and socially liberal.

They have a very active university ministry program, lots of highly attended mass times, and virtually no fraternities/sororities, whereas EWU and especially WSU have lots of Greek presence. Most Gonzaga students live on-campus, I believe, as the university has lots of really nice and new housing accommodations. Part of that is also that the school is bordered by some really poor, slummy neighborhoods, especially to the north. Logan neighborhood is not a place you want to walk at night if you can help it.

Not sure what you're getting at here -- I get that religious involvement skews conservative, but lacking frats/sororities doesn't.

I've never been to Whitworth, so I can't attest to that one.

This one seems pretty clear to me.  Whitworth's precinct contains a couple of suburban neighborhoods too, but the precinct is still more conservative than the adjacent precincts that contain exclusively suburban neighborhoods.  Not a ton of voters, but hard to imagine it's over 60% Democratic.  It may even be Republican.  (although my bet would be Northwest University is the only one that's majority Republican.)

WSU is an ag school, but it's becoming less and less of one every year proportionally. You can easily drive through campus and never see anything related to their ag/animal programs. They have lots of international students as well, but they're much more heavily east and south Asian whereas EWU is more diverse. The school has a large numbers of frats and even has a couple bars on campus. I rank WSU as more conservative than EWU due to the fact that it still does have that ag factor which EWU does not, plus that WSU has easily the highest (among the major universities, anyway) concentration of Mormons in the state.

I can't imagine the ag students or Mormons are a significant enough proportion of the student population to make a pivotal difference.  Plus, WSU does have quite a few very clearly delineated campus precincts, and they're pretty damn liberal -- about 70% Democratic, 80% for gay marriage.  I imagine that WSU has a higher percentage of students from Western Washington than EWU, especially if EWU pulls heavily from the Spokane metro...that alone almost certainly has massively bigger effect than ag students or Mormons.

I have the least experience with CWU of any of them, honestly; I've only visited twice. My perception is that CWU's a bit like a smaller WSU with more emphasis on engineering than ag. They have feeder programs for Boeing in aviation and aeronautics-related engineering (UW has all the big AE programs, whereas CWU trains for less-technical, more-trade-related positions). However, they do have a few artsy programs, so maybe I'm wrong about them.

Standard caveat that on-campus voters may be different and all, but CWU looks quite liberal: the campus precinct was 77% Democratic and 85% for gay marriage.  Not that far beneath UW, especially on gay marriage.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2015, 02:29:12 PM »

Purdue has a stereotype of being a pretty conservative school because of the presence of agriculture students.

My experience with engineers is not that they are conservative, but that they are more a-political than the rest of the population.

For the Big Ten, I'd rank liberal to conservative:

UW-Madison
Michigan

Northwestern
Minnesota

Michigan State
Iowa
Indiana
Illinois
Ohio State
Penn State

Purdue
Nebraska
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »

Alcon, you don't have to agree with me. I'm just stating my impressions, which as I said before may be biased. I understand that the plural of anecdote is not data, but I do think things are more complicated than just looking at precinct voting numbers.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »

Alcon, you don't have to agree with me. I'm just stating my impressions, which as I said before may be biased. I understand that the plural of anecdote is not data, but I do think things are more complicated than just looking at precinct voting numbers.

No worries, I didn't feel pressured to agree with you!  In fact, I don't agree with you.  So we're good.
Gunnar Larsson
Rookie
Sweden

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 04:09:54 PM »

I often hear people say that Purdue In W. Lafayette Indiana is conservative as far as public universities go. Although it is to the left of me (I consider it very moderate)  it certainly isn't the University of Wisconsin Madison or IU. Is this because it is a land grant college with agriculture and engineering? What other factors come into play? What other public universities have a conservative or moderate bent?

Is it a general trend in the US that agricultural universities are conservative?
I work at a agricultural university in Sweden and there seems to have been some kind of "cultural revolution" around 2000 or so. Before that there was a tilt towards farmer-ish males interested in technology, since then the trend has been towards people with an environmental interest, mostly females. The European Election result from the precinct covering the student housing next to campus was quite extreme with the Greens and Feminist Initiative gaining half of the vote. Is there any similar trend in the US?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 04:12:25 PM »

I often hear people say that Purdue In W. Lafayette Indiana is conservative as far as public universities go. Although it is to the left of me (I consider it very moderate)  it certainly isn't the University of Wisconsin Madison or IU. Is this because it is a land grant college with agriculture and engineering? What other factors come into play? What other public universities have a conservative or moderate bent?

Is it a general trend in the US that agricultural universities are conservative?
I work at a agricultural university in Sweden and there seems to have been some kind of "cultural revolution" around 2000 or so. Before that there was a tilt towards farmer-ish males interested in technology, since then the trend has been towards people with an environmental interest, mostly females. The European Election result from the precinct covering the student housing next to campus was quite extreme with the Greens and Feminist Initiative gaining half of the vote. Is there any similar trend in the US?

No, not really. There has not been a shift of that kind.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2015, 04:01:36 PM »

No, not really. There has not been a shift of that kind.

Its starting to occur though; the recent growth that has been occurring in CALS majors has been almost entirely supported by new undergraduate programs in environmental science/policy.

Also, interestingly enough, it would seem that in Mississippi and Alabama, the areas around the land-grant institutions (Mississippi State and Auburn) are more liberal than the areas around the flagship, liberal-arts schools (Ole Miss and Bama).  In the case of Mississippi, it probably has to do with Starkville's location within in the MS Black Belt, and Auburn has a high% of foreign-born population even for an engineering school, IIRC.   
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2015, 06:06:32 PM »

Purdue has a stereotype of being a pretty conservative school because of the presence of agriculture students.

My experience with engineers is not that they are conservative, but that they are more a-political than the rest of the population.

UW-Madison
Michigan

Northwestern
Minnesota

Michigan State
Iowa
Indiana
Illinois
Ohio State
Penn State

Purdue
Nebraska

You forgot Maryland and Rutgers! Tongue
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2015, 07:56:22 PM »

UW-Madison
Michigan

Northwestern
Minnesota

Michigan State
Iowa
Indiana
Illinois
Ohio State
Penn State

Purdue
Nebraska

You forgot Maryland and Rutgers! Tongue

You'd think he could count to ten.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2015, 04:31:04 PM »

This is true of any state where there are two primary universities, with one the land grant college and the other the liberal arts:

Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Purdue, Mississippi State, Auburn, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Colorado State, Utah State, Oregon State, Washington State.

I can't speak for the other places, but Utah State is certainly more conservative (in all respects) than Utah, as one might expect given that one is in Logan and the other is in Salt Lake City. The student body at Utah State is much more Mormon than that at Utah.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2015, 05:08:26 PM »

This is true of any state where there are two primary universities, with one the land grant college and the other the liberal arts:

Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Purdue, Mississippi State, Auburn, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Colorado State, Utah State, Oregon State, Washington State.

I can't speak for the other places, but Utah State is certainly more conservative (in all respects) than Utah, as one might expect given that one is in Logan and the other is in Salt Lake City. The student body at Utah State is much more Mormon than that at Utah.

In economics Utah is known as pretty much the last stronghold of academic Marxism in the US Smiley
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2015, 08:36:19 PM »

K-State
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »

I bet Wyoming's universities are fairly conservative.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2015, 02:29:20 PM »

I bet Wyoming's universities are fairly conservative.

Laramie is the most Democratic place in the state outside of Jackson Hole area.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2015, 02:40:37 PM »

I did a little more digging.

The precinct where it appears that most of the residence halls are located on the University of Wyoming's campus voted 51-44% for Obama in 2008. This precinct is, in all likelihood, entirely students; only four of the precinct's 2000 or so residents are under 18.

However, this precinct also includes the fraternities on campus, which likely lean conservative. Furthermore, only 24% of Wyoming students live on campus; in all probability these students live outside, in the other, more liberal parts of Laramie, or commute to and from Cheyenne. So Wyoming is still less conservative than Alabama or Liberty.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2015, 01:07:39 PM »

Let's rank the SEC from liberal to conservative!

Vanderbilt
Florida
Mizzou
Georgia
Arkansas
Kentucky
Auburn
South Carolina
Mississippi State
Tennessee
Ole Miss
LSU
Alabama
TAMU
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »

Let's rank the SEC from liberal to conservative!

Vanderbilt
Florida
Mizzou
Georgia
Arkansas
Kentucky
Auburn
South Carolina
Mississippi State
Tennessee
Ole Miss
LSU
Alabama
TAMU

It's my impression that Athens is a significantly more liberal place than Columbia.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2015, 03:26:13 PM »

Just because there's low turnout and Democrats get crushed does not NECESSARILY mean that liberals are staying home.  Midterms are always going to be lower turnout, and Democrats win some of them, too.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2015, 03:27:43 PM »

I doubt the faculties of many public universities could be considered "conservative" (their livelihoods are DIRECTLY tied to more government spending and higher taxes), but there are certainly varying degrees.  For example, though both are liberal, the University of Iowa is certainly a bit more liberal than the University of Illinois.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies