"See you at the pole" Christian prayer group (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:07:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  "See you at the pole" Christian prayer group (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "See you at the pole" Christian prayer group  (Read 6883 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« on: May 11, 2005, 08:08:52 AM »

Tomorrow morning, at school, the school's christian group, Students Alive* will be running a prayer service at the school flagpoles.

This really irritates me. I have no problem with personal prayer in schools. But at a state school, it is my opinion that no grup can commandeer the area around our national flag.

The group that organises this event, which will be happenning at hundreds of schools nationwide, is SYTAP and it's pretty bloody fundamental. Their website has kids saying things like:

"Our friends, school and nation need our prayers"

If this was totally apolitical, i'd be fine with it. But in light of recent Howard attacks on state schools for their moral character, this is offensive. In a school with many many different ethnic backgrounds, and religious beliefs, I don't think one group should be able to comandeer a part of the school to pray for all the heathens and undesirables like those awful, condemned homosexuals Tongue

As I said, if you want to pray for that kinda stuff, fine. You'd still be an idiot, but it's your right. Public prayer at a state school, comandeering the flagpole is not on though. So, I'm going to get to school rather too early and sit in front of it.

Myeh.

*My mate wanted to start a Buddhist group, Students Re-alive, but was declined. There is a Jewish group, though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies